Lewis Caroll

Etagloc

Superstar
Ugh. Lewis Carroll was a sick man. Everybody knows, I think, that he was a sick man. It doesn't get said but the suspicion is true. He was a sick man.

If you want to find the evidence, all you have to do is look at his Wikipedia article. You don't even have to do much research. He was a sick man and I wanted to make this thread to remind people of everyone's gut feeling about this sick man and to let people know he was sick. One of my younger relatives picked up my copy of Alice in Wonderland and I was glad to see him reading but I make this thread to relieve my guilt and my disgust with myself for not knowing better than to let him read it. I should have taken the book from him, told him it was garbage, made him not interested in it, then picked up another book and said "now THIS- this is a real book. you should read this," so that I could have hid Alice in Wonderland and he could have forgot about that book. I would advise you not to encourage any youngsters in your family to read that book. The author was evil.

Etagloc

Superstar
Exhibit B: " In The Life and Letters of Lewis Carroll, the editor states that "his Diary is full of such modest depreciations of himself and his work, interspersed with earnest prayers (too sacred and private to be reproduced here) that God would forgive him the past, and help him to perform His holy will in the future.......... A study by Roger Taylor and Edward Wakeling exhaustively lists every surviving print, and Taylor calculates that just over half of his surviving work depicts young girls, though about 60% of his original photographic portfolio is now missing.... By the time that Dodgson abruptly ceased photography (1880, over 24 years), he had established his own studio on the roof of Tom Quad, created around 3,000 images, and was an amateur master of the medium, though fewer than 1,000 images have survived time and deliberate destruction..... "We cannot know to what extent sexual urges lay behind Charles's preference for drawing and photographing children in the nude. He contended the preference was entirely aesthetic. But given his emotional attachment to children as well as his aesthetic appreciation of their forms, his assertion that his interest was strictly artistic is naïve......Dodgson became deeply troubled by an unexplained sense of sin and guilt at this time (the early 1860s) and frequently expressed the view in his diaries that he was a "vile and worthless" sinner, unworthy of the priesthood and this sense of sin and unworthiness may well have affected his decision to abandon being ordained to the priesthood........
At least four complete volumes and around seven pages of text are missing from Dodgson's 13 diaries.[85] The loss of the volumes remains unexplained; the pages have been removed by an unknown hand. Most scholars assume that the diary material was removed by family members in the interests of preserving the family name, but this has not been proven.[86] Except for one page, material is missing from his diaries for the period between 1853 and 1863 (when Dodgson was 21–31 years old).[87][88] This was a period when Dodgson began suffering great mental and spiritual anguish and confessing to an overwhelming sense of his own sin. This was also the period of time when he composed his extensive love poetry, leading to speculation that the poems may have been autobiographical.[89][90]..........:

"Dodgson referred to Beatrice as "Bee" sometimes and started photographing her naked around the age of 5."

williejonesjr

Veteran
It hurts me because I used to like his stuff.... I really used to like his stuff but I was too young to understand.
Oh. Sorry. That sucks when you find out the truth. I guess I can relate to liking Dr Suess. I liked his stuff but he's a raging racist. Now, not so much

Etagloc

Superstar
Oh. Sorry. That sucks when you find out the truth. I guess I can relate to liking Dr Suess. I liked his stuff but he's a raging racist. Now, not so much
That must be part of what being black is like, I figure. I think it must be that your heart is loving and well-intentioned then if you care to investigate the figures you are taught to admire you find out they were racist.

Etagloc

Superstar
I used to be a huge fan of all these European philosophers but I simply did not understand that their minds considered me as a non-being. And this matters. My context is not the same as a white person's context. For my understanding, I have to understand that which is relevant to me and my own life. I won't get that by blindly imitating thinking that does not take my existence into account.