Legal Pot: Canada Will Sell Marijuana in Liquor Stores

Thunderian

Superstar
It's the end of an era. Weed dispensaries are pretty mainstream already, but now the government is going to get into sales, and the commercialization of pot will kick into really high gear.

Being from British Columbia, I have a closeness to and awareness of the marijuana economy. I've always known people who grow it, sell it or use it, and I know that the price for pot hasn't moved much in the last quarter century. In 1990, the price for an eighth ounce of weed was $20-$25. The price is presently around $35-$40. That's astonishing, considering the price of a pack of cigarettes or a case of beer is three or four times what it was almost 30 years ago. And the weed is generally free of any added junk. Maybe a little pesticide, but not any worse for you than what they put in strawberries, I guess.

But now that pot is pretty much legal, and in July of next year will actually be, the price and the product are going to start changing. There are already huge grow warehouses in industrial areas 15 minutes from my house. You can bet they are paying taxes on these big operations, and the dispensaries that sell the product in downtown Vancouver are paying taxes, too. Legal regulation will mean more taxes, more fees and costs that will be passed along to buyers, and the price will start to reflect that.

There will always be the option of buying from a private dealer, as most people did before the dispensaries opened up everywhere, but I feel like the price for this will be going up as well. The people who were growing the most weed in BC were the Hell's Angels. They owned or controlled a lot of the operations, but they've gone legit, and growing weed illegally will make as much sense as having a still in the woods and selling whiskey that way. It might be a great product, but it's a headache to produce and distribute. Legal is the way to go, and that's what the Angels are doing now.

So the privately dealt weed will be classed as boutique, or "craft" weed and it will cost an arm and a leg. "Yeah, it comes from this organic cannabis farm on Saltspring Island. The farm is carbon neutral and only crops out 20 pounds a year. This is called Haida Haze, and it's $130 an eighth." Government weed will be cheaper than that, so the poor potheads will have to buy commercial.

And the commercial weed will start coming in all sorts of different varieties. Pumpkin Spice! Caffeine-free! Tartar control! Seriously, they will add more and more chemicals, and it will less and less resemble the product people use today.

Every time I heard someone say, "Legalize it!", I would wonder if they knew what they were asking for. Despite being illegal, pot has not ever been hard to find or carried any danger to the average user because of it's illegality. It's been cheap, good quality and pretty freely available. Now those first two will be gone. The golden age of BC bud is over.

Anyway, that's what I have to say about it. :)

Legal Pot: Canada Will Sell Marijuana in Liquor Stores
newsweek.com/canada-liquor-stores-sell-marijuana-743195

One province in Canada has decided to sell its marijuana in liquor stores.

Nova Scotia, a province on Canada’s eastern shore, announced on Thursday that the Nova Scotia Liquor Corporation, its sole alcohol distributor, would sell the drug in its stores and on its website once Canada legalizes weed in July of next year.

"The NSLC has the experience and expertise to distribute and sell restricted products like alcohol and now cannabis in a socially responsible way," Justice Minister Mark Furey said at a press conference. "We believe the NSLC is best positioned to sell cannabis, keeping it out of the hands of young people and making it legally available in a safe, regulated way."

Experts say this has its downsides –– like for those recovering from alcoholism, who may be pushed into temptation if they want to purchase pot, for instance.

“Does it increase or decrease cannabis consumption and alcohol consumption to have the two together?” asked Mark Haden, a professor of public policy at the University of British Columbia School of Population and Public Health. He called the whole thing a “debate with no evidence” at this point.

But it also has its upsides –– liquor stores already have the brick-and-mortar locations, and have increased security and surveillance to make sure minors don’t buy alcohol, and to make sure no one steals it.​

Nova Scotians will be allowed 30 grams (roughly 30 to 40 joints), and must be over the age of 19 to purchase marijuana. Canada will legalize the drug in July, but has left it up to its 10 provinces to decide where they will sell it, how much residents can have, and what the legal parameters around its dispensaries are. Ontario is also planning to sell its marijuana in liquor stores. Some provinces, however, are opting instead for government-run stores, like New Brunswick, where stores will ban advertising and window displays.

While provincial regulations are moving along quickly, governments are still scrambling to meet the rapidly approaching July 2018 deadline –– a timeline Quebec's public officials have called too fast. They've asked twice asked for a one-year extension to 2019 (and were denied).

The Nova Scotia government opened its policies up to an online survey, led by MQO Research. The vote was close –– 56 percent of respondents actually wanted standalone stores for marijuana rather than the two-in-one combination, while 49 percent said they liked the liquor store idea.

The NSLC has not responded to a request for comment.​

Lurker

Star
Every time I heard someone say, "Legalize it!", I would wonder if they knew what they were asking for
Agreed. Decriminalization is the way to go.
Experts say this has its downsides –– like for those recovering from alcoholism, who may be pushed into temptation if they want to purchase pot, for instance.
It's called personal responsibility.
The Nova Scotia government opened its policies up to an online survey, led by MQO Research. The vote was close –– 56 percent of respondents actually wanted standalone stores for marijuana rather than the two-in-one combination, while 49 percent said they liked the liquor store idea.
There must be a margin of error that's not mentioned.

Etagloc

Superstar
I like it in the sense that it's a good point, but I really don't want to go without beer and wine.
I don't think drug addicts are bad people and I don't think they're criminals.

Your average drug addict is a person who is seriously traumatized and who is trying to cope with something. I have a friend who.... from what I understand is now a crack addict. Of course I think that's crazy and I don't have a bone in my body that approves of it. But.... I also know what happened to her. I won't talk about what happened to her because it is something horrifying. After I found out.... I didn't even want to know. I immediately wished that I had never found out. It's.... it's not something I will discuss and I will leave it at that.

So.... your drug addicts are people who are trying to escape, who are trying to cope with something. It is very different with weed.

Weed has tons of medical uses. I got some for a friend and I am not remotely ashamed of it. He's been using it to help him sleep- it's something for his health. I smoke it for a medical reason. And I don't even smoke it all the time. I can go without it and be just fine. It's just good when I have it, it helps with a medical thing.

The other thing is weed- at least for me- is not a way of avoiding reality. Weed makes me think more about things, contemplate things, look at things from a different perspective. Alcohol... alcohol is something where you forget reality.

I think there is something very inhuman about how drug addiction is treated. Drug addiction is a medical issue and should be treated as a medical issue. Those people need help, love and support. They are trying to escape reality because they are traumatized. How can we just further traumatize them? They need help and support- loving but firm- to face their inner issues, to help them deal with what made them turn to drugs in the first place.

I mean that's if we care about human beings. If we don't... then the current way makes sense from that premise.

So..... what exactly it means in practice, I'm not sure. How precisely we move from a paradigm of addiction as a criminal issue to a paradigm of addiction as medical issue- how to put that into practice, I am not totally sure. But there has be a better way than the current approach.

I don't think weed should be illegal but weed is not a drug in the same sense as crack. Weed is not that sort of substance. Weed, alcohol (although alcohol is much more hardcore than weed- people will try to paint me as some sort of drug addict because I smoke weed but.... I smoke weed but I rarely touch alcohol. I promote weed to people as an alternative to alcohol. Me and my friends smoked weed from a hookah all night till we fell asleep. We spent the night cracking jokes and laughing. You can smoke an ounce, fall asleep and feel great when you wake up. But try that with alcohol.... it causes all sorts of problems. Not only will it effect you physically but it can lead to violence. Violence, liver damage- and how do you feel in the morning?), they should be legal.

Real drugs like crack, heroin.... I think the dealers should be prosecuted. I think those are criminals (although I think the underlying reasons that cause people to sell those drugs should be examined). I don't think the addicts should be treated as criminals, though. More like sick people who need help.

The Zone

Star
There are more an more studies on weed being beneficial with health issues and it is natural and not highly processed. But like anything, you can allow it to control you functioning. I would much rather be around somebody stoned than drunk and personally see alcohol as a more volatile drug when abused. A few can take a drink to take the edge off while others sip til their tipsy and burdensome to others when you have to navigate around them. Some people have addictive personalities and they abuse anything from food to smokes. The battle is in the mind. Taking weed off the black market would lessen the effect over time with pills and chemical drugs. Also, there are a lot of older people now who smoked weed all their lives who have shown no ill effects via studies. Some however, believe that anything we alter our minds with is wrong but I can make a better case for certain strands of weed being better for people than pills the drug manufacturers make. Look at the opiate epidemic... that is man and greed made per companies getting fat on the pain of others and their families.

Lurker

Star
I don't think drug addicts are bad people and I don't think they're criminals.

Your average drug addict is a person who is seriously traumatized and who is trying to cope with something. I have a friend who.... from what I understand is now a crack addict. Of course I think that's crazy and I don't have a bone in my body that approves of it. But.... I also know what happened to her. I won't talk about what happened to her because it is something horrifying. After I found out.... I didn't even want to know. I immediately wished that I had never found out. It's.... it's not something I will discuss and I will leave it at that.

So.... your drug addicts are people who are trying to escape, who are trying to cope with something. It is very different with weed.

Weed has tons of medical uses. I got some for a friend and I am not remotely ashamed of it. He's been using it to help him sleep- it's something for his health. I smoke it for a medical reason. And I don't even smoke it all the time. I can go without it and be just fine. It's just good when I have it, it helps with a medical thing.

The other thing is weed- at least for me- is not a way of avoiding reality. Weed makes me think more about things, contemplate things, look at things from a different perspective. Alcohol... alcohol is something where you forget reality.

I think there is something very inhuman about how drug addiction is treated. Drug addiction is a medical issue and should be treated as a medical issue. Those people need help, love and support. They are trying to escape reality because they are traumatized. How can we just further traumatize them? They need help and support- loving but firm- to face their inner issues, to help them deal with what made them turn to drugs in the first place.

I mean that's if we care about human beings. If we don't... then the current way makes sense from that premise.

So..... what exactly it means in practice, I'm not sure. How precisely we move from a paradigm of addiction as a criminal issue to a paradigm of addiction as medical issue- how to put that into practice, I am not totally sure. But there has be a better way than the current approach.

I don't think weed should be illegal but weed is not a drug in the same sense as crack. Weed is not that sort of substance. Weed, alcohol (although alcohol is much more hardcore than weed- people will try to paint me as some sort of drug addict because I smoke weed but.... I smoke weed but I rarely touch alcohol. I promote weed to people as an alternative to alcohol. Me and my friends smoked weed from a hookah all night till we fell asleep. We spent the night cracking jokes and laughing. You can smoke an ounce, fall asleep and feel great when you wake up. But try that with alcohol.... it causes all sorts of problems. Not only will it effect you physically but it can lead to violence. Violence, liver damage- and how do you feel in the morning?), they should be legal.

Real drugs like crack, heroin.... I think the dealers should be prosecuted. I think those are criminals (although I think the underlying reasons that cause people to sell those drugs should be examined). I don't think the addicts should be treated as criminals, though. More like sick people who need help.
I see where you're coming from and I agree. I just don't think that the way treatment is given in the US should be called treatment. At best it just masks the problem.
I don't like the war on opioids because it harms true pain patients. They're not the ones that are able to go out and buy it on the streets.
Also, I love freedom. What do I care if someone wants to shoot Drano into their eyeballs?

NcherieAmour

Rookie
Some of the countries in Europe are already selling cannabis products in the liquor stores, like Czech. At first, I thought it was a gimmick, but it's the real deal. It's not surprising. We knew that was the primary reason it wasn't already legal years before. While it is crappy that the government is so greedy, I feel that as long as no additives, flavour enhancers, or stabilizers, etc. go into it, it's nearly worth the broad access and decriminalization.