Kubitschek

morita

Veteran
If anyone here is Brazilian, please repsond.

Como os brasileiros se lembram de Vargas e de Kubitshcek hoje. Qual lugar esses dois personagens ocupam na memoria coletiva do povo brasileiro?
O que os brasileiros pensam da cidade de Brasília ? Desperdício de dinheiro, o simbolo da modernização?
Vc pode responder em português.

Mr.Anderson

Veteran
Kubitchek is mostly forgotten... Vargas on the other hand is kinda controversial. He comes up specially when people discuss labor rights. At least this is what I've noticed in the years i've spent online and during off-line social gatherings.

Some pro-monarchy people often resent Brasilia because Rio de Janeiro used to be Brazil's capital back then

EDIT: There are some conspiracy stuff about Brasília and the occult, i've posted here some stuff on the subject a few months ago

morita

Veteran
Kubitchek is mostly forgotten... Vargas on the other hand is kinda controversial. He comes up specially when people discuss labor rights. At least this is what I've noticed in the years i've spent online and during off-line social gatherings.

Some pro-monarchy people often resent Brasilia because Rio de Janeiro used to be Brazil's capital back then

EDIT: There are some conspiracy stuff about Brasília and the occult, i've posted here some stuff on the subject a few months ago
I'm surprised Kubitschek is forgotten because he's the one who decided to do plano de metas. From his own words, "doing the work of 50years in 5 years" with notably the construction of Brasilia. I had a whole course on him.
Vargas is also controversial bc he commited suicide if I remember correctly, and he had connections with the nazis.

Last edited:

Mr.Anderson

Veteran
Oh, yeah, the whole nazi period here... They used the letter sigma Σ for a short time but the other side of war had mo' Money.

History forgave Vargas about this whole incidente when he created the Convenções da Lei do Trabalho, the CLT and syndicates and this kind of stuff. My wife's grandfather actually worked in construction of Brasilia, he is 96 old today and is still kicking. One thing that some people still remember today is the whole cover up of work acidentes there. If someone fell from the top of a building the body would be guaranteed to disappear before their friends come down to see him.

There are a few considerations about the 50 years in 5 about where did the Money come from. I remember in pharmacy school my professor had show us a doccumentary about brazilian health system, kubitched had used the Money dedicated to the health system to build up railways... people complaint a bit there.

Kubitchek was a handsome man, people won't complain about him and Vargas consolidated labor rights, so people won't complain about him, too.

But I wish some other brazilians would expose their toughts here... I feel kinda lonely in here, hehe

morita

Veteran
There is a monument in honor of the workers who built Brasilia, apparently they're called "os candangos".

That's crazy that they would take the money from healthcare to build Brasilia, definitely not the kind of information tha they would display in history books, the link I posted earlier in the thread says the construction costed 83 billion dollars!