Kombucha

Thunderian

Superstar
Does anyone here drink it or brew their own? My wife makes it but her version just tastes like vinegar to me. I understand there are different strengths and flavours?

Violette

Star
I figure if I can like beer, I can like kombucha. What flavour do you like? Do you make your own?
I like beer too :) I’m not cool enough to make my own unfortunately. I don’t remember what flavors I liked but I do know I couldn’t stomach it with ginger it was way too strong

polymoog

Superstar
yes and yes...

i cannot go into further detail on this forum, though. i have a SCOBY thats the diameter of the plastic garbage can and 1.5" thick. its UNbelievable.

is your SCOBY healthy? if it is, then everything is fine. it should be carbonated, of course. flavor it with fruit juice if its too much for you.

weve moved away from kombucha and do kefir and EM-1 brews now.

Lurker

Star
while we are on the fermenting subject, you might be interested in something like this to make your own fermented vegetables:

https://www.krautsource.com/

all you really need is this: https://www.amazon.com/Sauer-Stones-Fermentation-Preservation-Pickling/dp/B076PPYYG7/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1531877835&sr=8-7&keywords=glass+weight+for+ferment
It's not that I don't like sauerkraut, I just don't know enough uses/recipes. Recently I noticed a variety of kraut at the store. Plain, with broccoli, with jalapeno etc. It got me interested in trying to use more of it. And the idea of fermenting more vegetables than just cabbage, interests me more.

polymoog

Superstar
It's not that I don't like sauerkraut, I just don't know enough uses/recipes. Recently I noticed a variety of kraut at the store. Plain, with broccoli, with jalapeno etc. It got me interested in trying to use more of it. And the idea of fermenting more vegetables than just cabbage, interests me more.
youll have to do some experimenting, of course. fermented foods seems to be on the rise, and ive also noticed a lot of different stuff in the supermarket. id sample a few and see what spices you like. theres quite a large kim chi variety available too (i like the organic ozuke brand). the koreans dont eat the kim chi as a serving-- its a small side dish eaten at the meal. that really goes for all ferments-- its loaded with probiotics, so just a few bites is sufficient. eating 3 different fermented foods is optimal. there are a few people that think the fermented foods arent good b/c they aid candida growth, but i am not with that school of thought.

sandor katz is supposed to be the king of fermentation... hes got a well-received book on the subject.

you can cheat by saving the water from a pickle brand you like and just add more cukes to it.

Beloved

Rookie
I love the GT’s brand Kombucha, particularly the Original, Gingerade, and Lemonade flavors

GT’s also makes fermented coconut yogurt called Cocoyo. It’s made with fermented young coconut water & fermented young coconut meat. They have several different varieties, but I love the plain. They also make Cocokefir, which is fermented young coconut water

Creamy, tart, and slightly effervescent. Yum.