Killing animals for food

Niya

Rookie
Most people eat animal products on a daily basis but never hear about the ones who had to die for it.
I personally did so too for a long time until one day I came across slaughter house footage and videos of vegan youtubers talking about morality which changed my view and habits drastically.
What are your thoughts on this topic? Do you eat animals? Why or why not?
Please let's not bash each other and keep this thread peaceful. I know the topic is sensitive but so are we.

Last edited:
I eat animals simply because I don’t know how cook without meat. I’d starve if I didn’t lol

Seriously though this does pose an ethical dilemma for me. Animals are living, feeling creatures and it is painful to think about raising something from birth just to take it to the slaughterhouse. Apparently animals sense something is off when they are being led there.

For now I accept that meat is part of evolution and of biology. It isn’t exactly pretty or clean to eat other biological organisms but it is life.

I do think at some point the majority of humans will have a plant based diet. I also think edible insects is a good idea that can feed a lot of people with low environmental impact.

mecca

Superstar
I try not to eat animals because I know factory farming is cruel and unethical. I'm working on phasing animal products out and replacing them with other healthier and more ethical foods.

Lurker

Star
Yes, I eat meat and plan on continuing to do so. Yes, factory farms are bad. However, there are better farms and practices that are more humane to the animal. From a cooking standpoint, I could eliminate meat, but I couldn't give up dairy and eggs. I'd probably go full on vegan before eating bugs or lab grown meat tho.:eek:

mecca

Superstar
Yes, I eat meat and plan on continuing to do so. Yes, factory farms are bad. However, there are better farms and practices that are more humane to the animal. From a cooking standpoint, I could eliminate meat, but I couldn't give up dairy and eggs. I'd probably go full on vegan before eating bugs or lab grown meat tho.:eek:
I’d like to try lab grown meat but not bugs (unless I was starving and there was nothing else). Once lab grown meat becomes a thing, I don’t think it will be distinguishable from animal meat.

mecca

Superstar

Dalit

Star
Ah come on now, nothing is quite like a refreshing beverage and a roasted scorpion on a stick on a warm summer's night by the beach.
You won't want to try insects after seeing this. Warning: the thing at the end is truly disturbing.

Dalit

Star
I think that video is pretty culturally insensitive. I would still try some of the insects but I’ll pass on the egg-fetus thing.
Carl of An Idiot Abroad is pretty culturally insensitive, but it's kind of fun to watch Ricky Gervais and Stephen Merchant mess with him.

polymoog

Superstar
I think that video is pretty culturally insensitive. I would still try some of the insects but I’ll pass on the egg-fetus thing.
ive had some insects in thailand. at least the locusts are just crunchy.
i have incidentally eaten raw bee larvae from one of my honeycombs, as i didnt use a queen excluder (meaning that some of the bee eggs were implanted in the comb which should have been solely for honey and pollen production). the taste was not to my liking.

polymoog

Superstar
this has been discussed already but i cannot find the thread.

i dont eat meat for ethical and many health reasons, but i dont care if someone else does or not. i dont get offended, and i dont feel holier than they. i have no problem at all, ethically speaking, with dairy and eggs or honey if its done responsibly. if there is to be milk in the world, then there must be cows (or goats) born, and someone has to eat the excess herd.
if you do eat meat, raising and killing (or hunting) the meat yourself and killing it humanely (quick and painlessly) is the best way to go.

Damien50

Star
Most people eat animal products on a daily basis but never hear about the ones who had to die for it.
I personally did so too for a long time until one day I came across slaughter house footage and videos of vegan youtubers talking about morality which changed my view and habits drastically.
What are your thoughts on this topic? Do you eat animals? Why or why not?
Please let's not bash each other and keep this thread peaceful. I know the topic is sensitive but so are we.
I mostly eat fish I have started raising and fruit/vegetables. Beef and pork have become heavy on my stomach for some reason and fish allows me to avoid a lot of dairy/wheat, lactose issues, and I love the lightness of fish in general. I figure animals are going to eat each other soI don't have a problem with people doing so but if I take ever single things feelings into consideration I'll probably eaten lol.

I don't find it to be an issue of morality or whether or not that pig had feelings but rather I'm hungry and animals contain nourishment. They shouldn't be abused and deserve a quick death but that's more or less where I stop. Not concerned with what other people eat just don't tell me I'm wrong.

shankara

Star
The ecological impact of meat is pretty heavy as well... Personally I'm veggie, which reduces water consumption per day to 1,200 gallons as compared to 4,000 for a meat eater. Vegans it's 300 gallons. Also the whole thing about needing many kilograms of grain to produce one kilogram of meat - it's simply an inefficient way to produce protein. People say they cut down the Amazon to produce soy but it's actually soy for cattle, if we ate it directly we'd need a lot less of it.

Also this whole thing about plants feeling pain is a bit silly. Maybe they do but not in the same way a higher animal does.
grains.jpg

animal agriculture 2.pngwater meat.jpg