keto and cholesterol

Tubby Walters

Rookie
keto is supposed to be great but eating bacon, eggs, butter, beef all the time?

Isn't that incredibly bad for cholesterol?

Maybe I'm missing something but sometimes these health fads seem to not think certain areas through.

Being lazy, didn't watch the vid, lol, what's the verdict?
This isn't a summary of the video, but the video does talk about the benefits of a high-fat diet.

A doctor called Ancel Keys in 1961 convinced everyone that butter, milk, eggs, meat, and other dietary sources of saturated fat caused heart disease by blocking your arteries. He advocated replacing these 'unhealthy' saturated fats with unsaturated fats from plant sources like margarine and vegetable oil. John Yudkin disagreed with Keys, and argued that fats were harmless, and that it was sugar, especially fructose, was the cause of heart disease and diabetes. Most people ignored Yudkin. The sugar industry benefited greatly from Keys' research, as they increased profits from selling processed, sugary foods, while saturated fat was declared the enemy. It is no accident that this excess consumption of sugar coincided with a massive increase in cases of diabetes, heart disease and obesity in the past few decades. Heart disease is in fact the leading cause of death in men and women in America and Europe. A lot of nutritional studies which concluded that dietary fat is the enemy were funded by the same food companies that profited from selling the high-sugar food. Newer research, including a large-scale study that included 135,000 people in 18 different countries, shows that people who eat the least saturated fat in fact have the highest risk for disease, while those who consumed the most saturated fat were at a lower risk for strokes (which is part of heart disease). One long-term trial had overweight participants consume a high-fat, low-carb diet for 24 weeks, and observed decreased body weight, more normal levels of blood glucose, and lower triglyceride (fat) levels in the blood. Limiting the amount of carbohydrate/sugar you eat is a sure way to reduce your risk for heart disease, and to maintain a healthy body weight. Fat (meat, butter, cheese) belongs in a healthy diet. It is a diet full of processed, simple sugars that is more often the problem. Of course, do your research and talk to a health professional before you make a drastic change to your diet. And don't demonise all sugars, complex sugars like porridge and those found in fruits are good for you in moderation.

Last edited:

morita

Veteran
The food industry has made fat the enemy to sell "low-fat" food. But low fat just means added sugar, the less dietary fat you consume, the more sugar you're eating. Companies that control the world's food all run on sugar (Nestlé being number1) and want to make money. By manipulating human insulin responses to create addiction and cause hormone disruption.

Last edited:
The food industry has made fat the enemy to sell "low-fat" food. But low fat just means added sugar, the less dietary fat you consume, the more sugar you're eating. Companies that control the world's food all run on sugar (Nestlé being number1) and want to make money. By manipulating human insulin responses to create addiction and cause hormone disruption.

Eating no or little fat makes you hungry, and you binge eat carbs or sugar.

Refined sugar and carbs are pretty much the worst things for your body.

billy t

Veteran
cholesterol is blown out of proportion. dont worry about those numbers.
doctors will put you on statins which can be very dangerous.

Theres many books debunking this myth. The Cholesterol Myth by Johnny Bowden for example. To believe in the cholesterol myth in 2020 is basically the equivalent to believing in Jack and the Bean Stalk . Health agencies are delivering archaic, outdated advice based on studies carried out on rabbits and rodents. The upper limit of total cholesterol that they will put you on Statins for if you are over it keeps going up. As long as triglycerides are low then LDL is not that important. LDL is of two kinds. The large puffy particles and the smaller dense particles. Only the latter kind are worth worrying about. For physicians to merely analyse total cholesterol and ignore all the other details is unprofessional and shows they are just using cholesterol hysteria to make a quick buck off ignorant patients.

Another thing to consider for those that think cholesterol is going to wreck havoc on your health. Cholesterol is an essential nutrient and is needed to synthesize Vitamin D. Its also needed for sex hormones. Kind of makes you wonder why those in power demonize it doesn't it? As others have said, sugars and bread are the foods you want to avoid, not butter, beef fat, avacados, coconut oil etc. Saturated fats are better than polyunsaturated fats because they are less prone to oxidization which will lead to inflammation. Sugar also causes inflammation. Inflammation is the root cause of most diseases according to many researchers.

Simka

Established
I read about Keto a lot (thanks for sharing useful sources) and I think I'm ready to try it. Though I'm still not sure how to start...
As you already know, Keto is a very low-carbohydrate, high-fat eating plan that helps put the body into nutritional ketosis. I suggest checking this article https://betterme.world/articles/keto-diet-basics/ before you begin this journey. I'd start with decreasing carbs (but eating more veggies) and increasing fats by checking your usual products. You need to know what foods you can eat and which to avoid. To make things simple, you can look for ready recipes online, I'm sure you will find many great ideas.

Last edited: