Kanye West is a genius

The Zone

Star
It is like he is trying to wake up but many think he sold his soul long ago. You can spin this a lot of different ways but he is not exactly acting crazy. Maybe he is MKU, to start the Trump divide, LOL. But it is not like he is sowing seeds of division. He is on watch now from the music industry which is turning on him as well. All in all, the meltdown where he started to expose some things leading to this is most definitely interesting.

free2018

Star
He had his breakdown. He gave up Donda and to my mind the money means nothing to him. He was a Momma's boy in a good way.
They sent him away but the programming didn't take.
He is completely WOKE. Haha!!
They can't do anything to him, but kill him.
And he asked them to not send Mossad on him on his song the watch:

"
Israeli guards, boy, please be mindful
Don't have words with me 'cause I got a mind filled
I could tell Larry David was the mind behind Seinfeld
Wanna know how I feel? Step into my minefield
Wanna know how pain feels? I got off my main pills
Bet my wifey stay close, she know I'm on my Bezos
Opioid addiction, pharmacy's the real trap
Sometimes I feel trapped, Jordan with no Phil Jack

One year, it's Illuminati; next year, it's the Sunken Place

They don't want me to change, nah, nigga run in place
I need someone else to make this drink, because
You don't understand the juice to vodka ratio
That could satisfy a real drunk, guess what?
Never trust a bartender that don't drink, bitch "

Handcar

Rookie
I used to just think he was clinically insane. He is, but I saw that he has good hearted ideas.
I am posting this here, because it's a different conversation.

He was diagnosed with bipolar disorder and said that he had stopped taking his medication. What we saw in the Oval Office was him having a manic episode. It's a shame that no one seem to have bothered to protect him from himself while he was clearly not well.

justjess

Superstar
He was diagnosed with bipolar disorder and said that he had stopped taking his medication. What we saw in the Oval Office was him having a manic episode. It's a shame that no one seem to have bothered to protect him from himself while he was clearly not well.
Thank you!!!

He said it was just a sleep disturbance.. except sleep disturbance is a common sign of bipolar. And bipolar people tend not to accept their diagnosis as bipolar, they like the manic phase too much when they are in it. It’s a complicated and frustrating disease.

The Zone

Star
Having dealt with some people who are bipolar/manic, I am not absolutely sure he was in mania. Some things certainly point towards it and we all agree they like mania and not taking meds or going off them. But with all the new designations via personality disorders, getting the analysis right is not a perfect science.

Most of the people I have seen in mania are either deeply or creatively introverted or all-out wild, be it promiscuity, living as someone else, etc.

I think a case can be made that he did not meet those standards and seemed somewhat grounded for his personality. OTOH, he was in the White House and had the floor but many manics cannot go into mania on cue, nor when scheduled to appear. So with that said, I am not certain we can say in an authoritative way that he was indeed manic and if so, examples which are not blanket statements are welcomed. FWIW, I am not saying there is not a possibility, just that it is not cut and dry per my studies.

free2018

Star
Protected himself from himself? Having manic depression does not lower one's IQ.
Saying someone is crazy is dismissive and insulting.

justjess

Superstar
I’ve been living surrounded by bipolar for my entire life. That was mania...

Protecting him from himself... ie preventing them from doing something in a manic state they will later regret. It’s damn near impossible, so while I agree with the sentiment I disagree with the idea that any one could have or should have stopped him. It’s that whole outlook that saw mass commitments and the infringement of civil rights for the mentally ill for hundreds if not thousands of years..

Awoken2

Superstar
When was the word genius redefined?

If you are taken in by puppets I would suggest watching Thunderbirds.

You will learn after just a couple of episodes that Virgil has more self control than Kanye gone West.

free2018

Star
I’ve been living surrounded by bipolar for my entire life. That was mania...

Protecting him from himself... ie preventing them from doing something in a manic state they will later regret. It’s damn near impossible, so while I agree with the sentiment I disagree with the idea that any one could have or should have stopped him. It’s that whole outlook that saw mass commitments and the infringement of civil rights for the mentally ill for hundreds if not thousands of years..
I have been ensconced by mentally ill people for a long time.
It's draining and tiring.
This thread is not about disproving his bipolar diagnosis.

This thread is about his ideas about prison reform and bringing jobs to Chicago for example.
It's not about he's being "normal" -- whatever setting on a dryer that is.

justjess

Superstar
I have been ensconced by mentally ill people for a long time.
It's draining and tiring.
This thread is not about disproving his bipolar diagnosis.

This thread is about his ideas about prison reform and bringing jobs to Chicago for example.
It's not about he's being "normal" -- whatever setting on a dryer that is.
I’m all for prison reform, do not agree in abolishing the 13th amendment.

I dont care whether he is normal or not, I care whether his ideas are grounded in reality and if he is actively manic they are not. That doesn’t mean he’s “crazy” and it isn’t dismissive.

The Zone

Star
Well, this begs for some more light. I have known some bipolar people are, of course, their own worst enemy in that they do some really crazy things. But I have also seen some with great brilliant moments who lead very successful lives. In fact, I am pulling from two examples, one a businessman who has a large family, good kids and has made a name for himself and one person whom I was close with who was a majorly successful insurance agent, smart when she was having no episodes. graduated college with honors, had a family with no issues of their own, despite the possibilities of genetics, etc.

Now, these same two examples would do some embarrassing things, but they are leaving a mark on life and are highly functional despite their problem. In that sense, I think taking shots at people who did not ask for a mental illness is low brow but expected from some individuals here.

That said, Kanye has had genius moments and he has had regrettable ones. There is no doubt he is or was a part of the musical elite and likely sold his soul in the process. He may even regret that and could be on the hit list. But most of what he actually said, was not crazy rants. The presentation, however, and his actions could be seen as such. OTOH, I think there is no way we can say from our seat whether he was manic or not, going through and embarrassment initiation or in a clear moment.

Handcar

Rookie
Having dealt with some people who are bipolar/manic, I am not absolutely sure he was in mania. Some things certainly point towards it and we all agree they like mania and not taking meds or going off them. But with all the new designations via personality disorders, getting the analysis right is not a perfect science.

Most of the people I have seen in mania are either deeply or creatively introverted or all-out wild, be it promiscuity, living as someone else, etc.

I think a case can be made that he did not meet those standards and seemed somewhat grounded for his personality. OTOH, he was in the White House and had the floor but many manics cannot go into mania on cue, nor when scheduled to appear. So with that said, I am not certain we can say in an authoritative way that he was indeed manic and if so, examples which are not blanket statements are welcomed. FWIW, I am not saying there is not a possibility, just that it is not cut and dry per my studies.
I agree that is is often somewhat of an educated guess when putting a label/diagnosis on someone from a distance who is not very well know in person. That said, he has been behaving somewhat strange lately, like his impromptu speech after SNL and other occasions.

According to the Diagnostic and statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, Fifth Edition (DSM-5) a manic episode is defined as:

B. During the period of mood disturbance and increased energy or activity, three (or
more) of the following symptoms (four if the mood is only irritable) are present to a significant
degree and represent a noticeable change from usual behavior:

1. Inflated self-esteem or grandiosity.
2. Decreased need for sleep (e.g., feels rested after only 3 hours of sleep).
3. More talkative than usual or pressure to keep talking.
4. Flight of ideas or subjective experience that thoughts are racing.
5. Distractibility (i.e., attention too easily drawn to unimportant or irrelevant external
stimuli), as reported or observed.
6. Increase in goal-directed activity (either socially, at work or school, or sexually) or
psychomotor agitation (i.e., purposeless non-goal-directed activity).
7. Excessive involvement in activities that have a high potential for painful consequences
(e.g., engaging in unrestrained buying sprees, sexual indiscretions, or
foolish business investments).

I believe to see, at least, three of these symptoms displayed during his Oval Office speech.

Handcar

Rookie
Protected himself from himself? Having manic depression does not lower one's IQ.
Saying someone is crazy is dismissive and insulting.
It may likely not lower his IQ but it does change his grip on reality. He is not himself during a manic episode. That's why it is called a mental disease.

Is saying that someone suffers from a mental disease dismissive and insulting?