Kanye West is a genius

The Zone

Star
My point has been missed is that many bipolar people are highly functional in society and that some are very successful despite a very difficult diagnosis. It is a nightmare for some to be in a relationship with a BP in that you never know who is walking through the door. Good days are great days but bad days are really bad. It can be maddening for those dealing with them that there is no middle ground. One more thing, while he certainly fits some of the criteria, some other illnesses in the same manual are similar in nature. In short, I have seen people with this disease be incredibly brilliant while at the same time being quite a mess at other times. And I am not willing to label without more detail.

Last edited:

free2018

Star
But where I'm from nobody thinks Kanye West is a genius, that's quite a bold claim you made in the thread title.

What makes him a genius?.Explain your reasoning on this one.
Exceptional creative power?
Let's just use that as an example.
When he first signed to Rockafella, he was literally working on most of the labels' project. He would finish working on their projects and work on his own at night.

Does he have exceptional creative power?

I would argue he does.

Awoken2

Superstar
Exceptional creative power?
Let's just use that as an example.
When he first signed to Rockafella, he was literally working on most of the labels' project. He would finish working on their projects and work on his own at night.

Does he have exceptional creative power?

I would argue he does.
It just appears to me that somebody else is holding the remote control of KW since his superstar status but it looks like it has now fallen into the hands of team Trump who have hastily sorted a nice bit of PR work with him.

He had a huge following right? All those fans now thinking Trump is cool.

All mainstream music artists who attain superstar status are controlled to one degree or another.

elsbet

Superstar
The elephant in the room--
Kanye ♡ Trump therefore Kanye = Krazy

They're all sold out.. how anyone could still be unaware of this by now is mind boggling.

Aero

Superstar
Producing good music is difficult. It takes a ton of work and you have to really enjoy it. However, some might argue that a lot of these big names are rip-offs. If they aren't openly sampling then they are doing it under the table. So guys like Kanye get rich, but all those lesser known artists that get sampled get jack shit.

Maybe that's genius in a business sense. I mean nobody is throwing away iPhones because of cheap labor markets. Apple's exploitation is defined as a success. Therefore any exploitation done by the music industry is defined as a success. Unless you like deploying double standards, this is just how it is. It's how business has evolved.

When I think of genius I think of Einstein. Space-time curvature? Who could figure that out? Like oh btw objects with mass warp space and time around them. Sorry Newton, you have been eclipsed.

free2018

Star
Producing good music is difficult. It takes a ton of work and you have to really enjoy it. However, some might argue that a lot of these big names are rip-offs. If they aren't openly sampling then they are doing it under the table. So guys like Kanye get rich, but all those lesser known artists that get sampled get jack shit.

Maybe that's genius in a business sense. I mean nobody is throwing away iPhones because of cheap labor markets. Apple's exploitation is defined as a success. Therefore any exploitation done by the music industry is defined as a success. Unless you like deploying double standards, this is just how it is. It's how business has evolved.

When I think of genius I think of Einstein. Space-time curvature? Who could figure that out? Like oh btw objects with mass warp space and time around them. Sorry Newton, you have been eclipsed.
Oh, yeah, Kanye has used ghost writers and had to settle out of court with beat makers on at least one track.
That is true.
Originally, though he was the kid being used by big names like Gay-Z. Incidentally speaking of Sean Carter, outside of the dark company he keeps, he was getting over recycling people's rhymes, stealing in other ways and using Biggie's flow. Dre uses ghost beat makers. The industry is a dirty nasty place.
Even outside of music, inventors get short shrift. People forget about Latimer and remember Edison.
People stole the karaoke inventor machine and he ended up with little.
I however stand by my original post.

Aero

Superstar
Oh, yeah, Kanye has used ghost writers and had to settle out of court with beat makers on at least one track.
That is true.
Originally, though he was the kid being used by big names like Gay-Z. Incidentally speaking of Sean Carter, outside of the dark company he keeps, he was getting over recycling people's rhymes, stealing in other ways and using Biggie's flow. Dre uses ghost beat makers. The industry is a dirty nasty place.
Even outside of music, inventors get short shrift. People forget about Latimer and remember Edison.
People stole the karaoke inventor machine and he ended up with little.
I however stand by my original post.
I'll take your word on the ghostwriting stuff. As a performer, I think Kanye just had some unique point. Or maybe it's better to say there was something refreshing about some of his tracks. So I'm not saying he's a crock. I can certainly still appreciate some of his classics. I wonder how well some of it has aged though.

I'm trying to call out his misogynistic lyrics. And that doesn't discredit his good-hearted ideas. But it's something that we can't just ignore. It's not some weird righteous trip to say when someone isn't being respectful. On the contrary, saying nothing does a disservice to all the people who deserved better.

What I've learned is that no matter what we say or do there will be some reaction. Therefore saying nothing just reinforces the negative behavior. You know? It's not about slapping hands and dishing out punishment. We can just simply say you know what. When I first heard the misogynistic songs they sounded good to my ears. But now that I've really thought about it I don't like it.

free2018

Star
I'll take your word on the ghostwriting stuff. As a performer, I think Kanye just had some unique point. Or maybe it's better to say there was something refreshing about some of his tracks. So I'm not saying he's a crock. I can certainly still appreciate some of his classics. I wonder how well some of it has aged though.

I'm trying to call out his misogynistic lyrics. And that doesn't discredit his good-hearted ideas. But it's something that we can't just ignore. It's not some weird righteous trip to say when someone isn't being respectful. On the contrary, saying nothing does a disservice to all the people who deserved better.

What I've learned is that no matter what we say or do there will be some reaction. Therefore saying nothing just reinforces the negative behavior. You know? It's not about slapping hands and dishing out punishment. We can just simply say you know what. When I first heard the misogynistic songs they sounded good to my ears. But now that I've really thought about it I don't like it.
I can understand. I can't listen to a lot of that stuff today. Some of the classics are okay, but I don't listen to them all day.
Thankfully I know that a lot of rappers don't even know what rap is-- let alone all five elements of hip hop. Haha.
I laugh at a lot of it.
Worst thing Kanye did spiritually was hang around Rockerfeller types.

justjess

Superstar
No... he’s probably on his meds for bipolar which can cause that seeing as they’re antipsychotics and their whole point is to sedate you - from a manic episode.

Dalit

Star
The elephant in the room--
Kanye ♡ Trump therefore Kanye = Krazy

They're all sold out.. how anyone could still be unaware of this by now is mind boggling.
Brings a whole new meaning to Goldigger. :) Couldn't resist.

Vixy

Star
No... he’s probably on his meds for bipolar which can cause that seeing as they’re antipsychotics and their whole point is to sedate you - from a manic episode.
Nope, have friends with bipolar, they dont get like this from their medication. He looks dissociated and along with the old man style of clothing..something's up. How could Kim let him go out like that? Oh yeah, bc she doesnt care! High satanic priestesses usually dont have any empathy over their MK's spouses.

justjess

Superstar
And I have numerous family members with bipolr... the meds for an acute manic episode are different then the everyday maintenance meds and yes they do make u look and feel entirely spaced out. That’s why so many with the disease do not comply with treatment.

Is it possible it’s something else? Anything is possible but that looks like exactly what they will say it is if they are questioned. Medication side effect. Also usually following mania is overwhelming depression. Depression makes you feel dead inside and not care about your appearance, bipolar depression is 100x worse then even clinical depression because it follows a “high” that feels unimaginably good.

I wish people would stop writing off or minimizing just how completely devastating some of these mental illnesses actually are.

Vixy

Star
And I have numerous family members with bipolr... the meds for an acute manic episode are different then the everyday maintenance meds and yes they do make u look and feel entirely spaced out. That’s why so many with the disease do not comply with treatment.

Is it possible it’s something else? Anything is possible but that looks like exactly what they will say it is if they are questioned. Medication side effect. Also usually following mania is overwhelming depression. Depression makes you feel dead inside and not care about your appearance, bipolar depression is 100x worse then even clinical depression because it follows a “high” that feels unimaginably good.

I wish people would stop writing off or minimizing just how completely devastating some of these mental illnesses actually are.
Maybe its because I havent sen my friends with bipolar when they've been hospitalised. Sounds like you know more here. Horrible either way. The suffering mental illness brings is just..Unbearable. And what about Kim..she seems sane enough, wonder how she takes it..

justjess

Superstar
She seems to be doing what a wife can do.. sending him to treatment, getting him on meds and forcing him to some extent to interact with the world when he probably doesn’t want to. I can’t stand her truly, but this isn’t an easy thing to go through so I feel for her where this is concerned. My guess is this was a paid appearance that they had already committed to so he needed to go and went so begrudgingly.

You don’t need to be insane to be in love with someone suffering from a mental illness.. honestly it’s usually pretty easy to fall in love with them, they are charming and exciting when the disease isn’t totally ravaging them.