Jury Nullification

Lurker

Star
It is well within your (American- unsure of other countries) right as a jury to acquit on the grounds that the whole law is bad, or bad in a particular case. Regardless of evidence. Please do your research to confirm and remember it if called for jury duty.

I think it is safe to say that I'll never be called for jury duty.:cool:

elsbet

Superstar
From the article--

"... this is a very well-guarded secret, with many judges actually preventing the defense from informing juries of their right to nullify laws that they feel are unjust."

That means it applies to *all* laws.. that's good news that it's out in the open now. Hopefully it catches like wildfire.

GoCowboyz!

Rookie
Remember, if you do get called, play dumb, until you are selected. You do not have to explain your vote and it only takes one person to cause a hung jury.

polymoog

Superstar
yes, but a hung jury only means that it gets a retrial. that doesnt do any good. one would need to convince his or her fellow jurors to overturn the bad law.

GoCowboyz!

Rookie
yes, but a hung jury only means that it gets a retrial. that doesnt do any good. one would need to convince his or her fellow jurors to overturn the bad law.
True but good luck convincing 12 americans. The goal is the prosecutors might decide its not worth the effort for a retrial. Its easier to get one person on every trial than 12 on 1 in my opinion