Jupiter and Saturn to align in the sky this month as 'Christmas Star'

Red Sky at Morning

Superstar
A18200AA-E785-4F8B-BD59-116256130DDB.jpeg

The two largest planets in the solar system, Jupiter and Saturn, have fascinated astronomers for hundreds of years. But the two gas giants will do something next month not seen since the Middle Ages -- they will look like a double planet.

The rare occurrence will happen after sunset on Dec. 21, 2020, the start of the winter solstice.

“Alignments between these two planets are rather rare, occurring once every 20 years or so, but this conjunction is exceptionally rare because of how close the planets will appear to one another,” said Rice University astronomer Patrick Hartigan in a statement. “You’d have to go all the way back to just before dawn on March 4, 1226, to see a closer alignment between these objects visible in the night sky.”

Between Dec. 16 and Dec. 25
, the two planets will be separated by less than a full moon, Hartigan added.

Back in 1614, German astronomer Johannes Kepler suggested that a conjunction of Jupiter and Saturn may be what was referred to as the "Star of Bethlehem" in the Nativity story, while others have suggested that the "three wise men" could have been a triple conjunction of Jupiter, Saturn and Venus. But it's unknown if the “Christmas Star” was a real astronomical event, like a planetary conjunction or a comet.

Cintra

Star
I really must watch the goat thing.
It keeps getting referenced.

And yay!!! let's have christmas instead of armageddon.

Red Sky at Morning

Superstar
I really must watch the goat thing.
It keeps getting referenced.

And yay!!! let's have christmas instead of armageddon.
Interesting that the “Christmas star” indicated [at least to the wise] that Jesus was coming. Perhaps this time round, it is a wake up call to those who would rather live as though He were never coming back, and a reminder of the reality that He will.

As Hamlet says “the readiness is all”.

Cintra

Star
Penned by W.B. Yeats perhaps?
Yes! The Second Coming.
And well done, cos it should be rough beast, not great beast.

I cant even get my quotes right, now! lol.

But yes. There are signs in the sky. I am past the point of brushing everything off with a casual 'just coincidence'.
Something is most certainly happening, and I can only hope that something good will be born from it, rather than something terrible.

I've got to admit, it is all getting kind of frightening.

Red Sky at Morning

Superstar
Yes! The Second Coming.
And well done, cos it should be rough beast, not great beast.

I cant even get my quotes right, now! lol.

But yes. There are signs in the sky. I am past the point of brushing everything off with a casual 'just coincidence'.
Something is most certainly happening, and I can only hope that something good will be born from it, rather than something terrible.

I've got to admit, it is all getting kind of frightening.
I don’t know where you stand with the one the alignment pointed to, [and I won’t push you for an answer] but I pray you find faith instead of fear. It’s just better ;-)

Red Sky at Morning

Superstar
A couple of verses came to mind as I was making breakfast this morning...

Genesis 1
14 And God said, Let there be lights in the firmament of the heaven to divide the day from the night; and let them be for signs, and for seasons, and for days, and years:​

So stars and planets can be signs to us.

Luke 21 picks up on the theme...

25 And there shall be signs in the sun, and in the moon, and in the stars; and upon the earth distress of nations, with perplexity; the sea and the waves roaring;​
26 Men's hearts failing them for fear, and for looking after those things which are coming on the earth: for the powers of heaven shall be shaken.​
27 And then shall they see the Son of man coming in a cloud with power and great glory.​
28 And when these things begin to come to pass, then look up, and lift up your heads; for your redemption draweth nigh.​

The conjunction has given rise to a lot of interest and speculation. Will it signify anything? I guess the only way we will tell will be in the rear view mirror!!

Last edited:

Red Sky at Morning

Superstar
Will it be visible from the southern hemisphere?
Apparently so @llleopard !

“Best of all, the spectacle, which will be visible from all over the world, can be enjoyed without any special equipment—just look southwest, as soon as the sky gets dark. Those with access to a telescope are in for an additional rare treat: With a typical amateur instrument set to low power, the two giant planets will fit within a single field-of-view. Jupiter, with its four bright moons, and Saturn, with its distinctive rings, will be visible all at once.”

Red Sky at Morning

Superstar
I watched a strange video of someone who often has unusual prophetic dreams yesterday. This dream featured UFOs.

I wouldn’t have given it a second thought but for the fact that @Faker He-Man alluded to the coming conjunction. The coming alignment may well have appeared around the time of Jesus’s birth but it does seem odd to me that there has been a new wave of alien “soft disclosure” in the news recently.

Which all put me in mind of a song that @Cintra brought to my remembrance...

recure

Established
Red Sky at Morning said:
But it's unknown if the “Christmas Star” was a real astronomical event, like a planetary conjunction or a comet.
Probably not. It certainly had the appearance of a star, but it could not have been any ordinary star since the Bible states that "when it rose went before them until it came to rest over the place where the child was." (Matt.2.9) It was likely an angel since stars are often said to represent angels and both are called the "host (army) of heaven".

St. John Chrysostom makes the point that the Three Kings, who were Gentiles, would have to be called by something familiar to them since they would not heed the voices of prophets or angels. After all, it was the Babylonians who had a reputation for being magicians and astrologers: "I [Nebuchadnezzar] made a decree that all the wise men of Babylon should be brought before me, that they might make known to me the interpretation of the dream. Then the magicians, the enchanters, the Chaldeans, and the astrologers came in, and I told them the dream, but they could not make known to me its interpretation." (Dan.4.6-7)

Moreover, on the night of the Nativity, the Good News was also announced to a group of Judean shepherds, this time not by a star but by an angel and the "heavenly host" itself (Luke.2.10,13). So the Jews were also called by something familiar to them, since they, unlike the Chaldeans, would heed the voice of an angel instead of the appearance of a star.

Red Sky at Morning

Superstar
Probably not. It certainly had the appearance of a star, but it could not have been any ordinary star since the Bible states that "when it rose went before them until it came to rest over the place where the child was." (Matt.2.9) It was likely an angel since stars are often said to represent angels and both are called the "host (army) of heaven".

St. John Chrysostom makes the point that the Three Kings, who were Gentiles, would have to be called by something familiar to them since they would not heed the voices of prophets or angels. After all, it was the Babylonians who had a reputation for being magicians and astrologers: "I [Nebuchadnezzar] made a decree that all the wise men of Babylon should be brought before me, that they might make known to me the interpretation of the dream. Then the magicians, the enchanters, the Chaldeans, and the astrologers came in, and I told them the dream, but they could not make known to me its interpretation." (Dan.4.6-7)

Moreover, on the night of the Nativity, the Good News was also announced to a group of Judean shepherds, this time not by a star but by an angel and the "heavenly host" itself (Luke.2.10,13). So the Jews were also called by something familiar to them, since they, unlike the Chaldeans, would heed the voice of an angel instead of the appearance of a star.
I wonder -

Might the wise men have seen the natural event of the conjunction approaching (from Persia) and travelled to see the supernatural angelic event in Israel?