Jordan Peterson - "I believed in the Devil before I believed in God"

DavidSon

Star
Never heard of him before. What an odd bird. Says he abhors the violence of Marxism but fills his house with Soviet era artwork. Quit eating vegetables last year. At first impression he seems to be an individual in conflict within himself. Thanks for the link though, we'll have to check this out.

JoChris

Superstar
Never heard of him before. What an odd bird. Says he abhors the violence of Marxism but fills his house with Soviet era artwork. Quit eating vegetables last year. At first impression he seems to be an individual in conflict within himself. Thanks for the link though, we'll have to check this out.
The militant pro-feminism, pro- any minority group Guardian website loathes him. So an immediate uptick from many people, including me. The highest uptick comments below the line are pro-Peterson. e.g. https://www.theguardian.com/science/2018/feb/07/how-dangerous-is-jordan-b-peterson-the-rightwing-professor-who-hit-a-hornets-nest

His homepage. https://www.youtube.com/user/JordanPetersonVideos/videos?app=desktop

My teenage son is the one who informed me about him. He was sick of all the feminist propaganda at school. I think this is the issue that made him famous, stating the painfully obvious.

JoChris

Superstar

Red Sky at Morning

Superstar
It shows that if a person thinks seriously enough about evil they will seek to find out the truth.

Probably the one criticism is that he appears to believe with enough self-control and determination a person will be able to choose to turn over a new leaf. Perhaps he is extraordinarily strong in this area?

The bible contradicts that viewpoint. https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Romans+7:13-25&version=KJV
I agree with your analysis here...

To start a journey towards the truth is better than staying at home - that's what I liked about Jordan's story.

Peterson is a hack psychologist who believes women need to be in enforced sexual relationships with men because apparently if we don’t get laid we become killers, and who recently was indulging in text book Nazi sympathy. He is popular among alt right clowns and is popular solely for being “shocking” and anti-pc

JoChris

Superstar
Peterson is a hack psychologist who believes women need to be in enforced sexual relationships with men because apparently if we don’t get laid we become killers, and who recently was indulging in text book Nazi sympathy. He is popular among alt right clowns and is popular solely for being “shocking” and anti-pc
As the male population percentages grow huge compared to female in China (thanks to 1 child policy) it will be interesting to see if what he claims does occur.

Right now China and India certainly give supporting evidence for his viewpoint. https://www.scmp.com/magazines/post-magazine/long-reads/article/2142658/too-many-men-china-and-india-battle-consequences

Red Sky at Morning

Superstar
I posted this up in another thread about masculinity but I have to say Jordan talked a lot of sense in an interview I watched with him. If this makes him a hack, I'm happy to join him.

As the male population percentages grow huge compared to female in China (thanks to 1 child policy) it will be interesting to see if what he claims does occur.

Right now China and India certainly give supporting evidence for his viewpoint. https://www.scmp.com/magazines/post-magazine/long-reads/article/2142658/too-many-men-china-and-india-battle-consequences
Yeah well its unlikely it will reach that point in the West. It does have consequences but if it makes you kill then it is still a male problem, and forcing women into relationships as he proposes is absolutely disgusting. However I would not be surprised if you were ok with that kind of authoritarianism as fundamentalist Christianity is inherently theocratic and authoritarian. Peterson is just a straight up reactionary and that is why he beloved by reactionaries.

I posted this up in another thread about masculinity but I have to say Jordan talked a lot of sense in an interview I watched with him. If this makes him a hack, I'm happy to join him.

Yeah on white supremacist Tucker Carlson's show. I'm not surprised. If there wasn't truth to toxic masculinity we would not be seeing this emotional reaction from the right.

TokiEl

Superstar

This big social problem could be solved if they got free access to women in foreign countries through for example war.

This big social problem could be solved if they got free access to women in foreign countries through for example war.

I actually see China creating elite "eunuch" military units, takes care of the problem and loyalty to the state is was matters over there. There is always the possibility of conquest though, you are right.

Red Sky at Morning

Superstar
Yeah well its unlikely it will reach that point in the West. It does have consequences but if it makes you kill then it is still a male problem, and forcing women into relationships as he proposes is absolutely disgusting. However I would not be surprised if you were ok with that kind of authoritarianism as fundamentalist Christianity is inherently theocratic and authoritarian. Peterson is just a straight up reactionary and that is why he beloved by reactionaries.

Yeah on white supremacist Tucker Carlson's show. I'm not surprised. If there wasn't truth to toxic masculinity we would not be seeing this emotional reaction from the right.
Of course there is truth in "toxic masculinity" - that's how it works. There are plenty of toxic men out there, stoked up by lads magazines and dumb movies. Their poor example is used to create the momentum behind an attack on men in general. People react by "pushing away" from things in to the arms of another ideology e.g. "patriarchy" to feminism.

TokiEl

Superstar
I actually see China creating elite "eunuch" military units, takes care of the problem and loyalty to the state is was matters over there. There is always the possibility of conquest though, you are right.
I'm afraid so.

They have built big ghost cities with tens of millions of empty appartments...

Of course there is truth in "toxic masculinity" - that's how it works. There are plenty of toxic men out there, stoked up by lads magazines and dumb movies. Their poor example is used to create the momentum behind an attack on men in general. People react by "pushing away" from things in to the arms of another ideology e.g. "patriarchy" to feminism.
Other than a small militant fringe I don't see anyone attacking men in general. It's scare tactics pushed by guys like Peterson because they don't want to address their own shitty behavior. I'm not really sure what you're trying to say with the last sentence...

JoChris

Superstar

You are jumping to conclusions there. Maybe in the USA Christians are more open to a Christian-style theocratic government but certainly here in Australia we aren't. I want freedom of religion for people as long as it doesn't infringe on the rights of other people. Same for rights of people to live as stupidly or as immorally as they like... on the very important condition their self-destructive actions will never hurt others etc.

Anyway this is a totally different topic. Jordan Peterson's social ideologies would be a good subject in General Discussion.

I also find it interesting that some people (on the Guardian website)basically agree completely with for him... until they discover that he is not an atheist like him. THEN they find a way to dismiss what he is saying. Apparently in recent books he shows he does agree with some biblical principles.

So for that demographic "the faith" of Atheism is actually more important than the actual truth. They are way more narrow-minded than they admit.

JoChris

Superstar
On computer game websites too. The language and abuse my sons have seen .... I suspect a lot of suppressed rage and resentment is expressed there, and unlike on playgrounds there are no adults there to put them in their place when it does go too far.