Jesus, Mithras, and Horus

Sibi

Star
Mythological plagiarism?

You may hear that the account of Jesus is the same as the myths of Horus or Mithras. The Christ / Mithras Myth Theory was popularized, if not invented, by two French academics in the 18th century CE – Charles Francois Dupuis (1742-1809) and Constantin Francois Chasseboef de Volney (1757-1820). Dupuis was a Professor of Rhetoric at College de Lisieux, Paris and de Volney was a philosopher and orientalist. In the fervor of the French Revolution of 1789, many revolutionaries denounced Christianity – specifically Catholicism – as a myth which had encouraged the rise of the upper classes at the expense of the lower. Dupuis' 1794 13-volume Origine de Tous les Cultes (republished in English in 1872 as The Origin of All Religious Worship) popularized the claims listed above as well as many others but these were all fabrications of anti-Christian/pro-Revolutionary writers advancing their own agenda.

In the late 1800's the theory was promoted by English poet Gerald Massey, who was discredited by scholars of the time.

The "similarities."

Jesus - Born of a virgin
  • Horus was born from his mother Isis, who was not a virgin. She was a widow to Osiris who had been killed and dismembered. Using magic, Isis, reassembled his body and breathed life into him. It was a sexual union that Horus was born from.
  • Mithras - Born from a rock and not a person.

Jesus: Born on December 25th? Nope. His birthday is never mentioned in scripture.
  • Mithras / Horus: Said to have been born on December 25th. There is no source for this.
  • December 25th is also not the winter solstice. That falls on December 21st or 22nd.
  • Source: The earliest source having December 25th as the birthday of Jesus is by Hippolytus of Rome (3rd c.) He based it on the assumption that the conception of Jesus took place at the Spring equinox or March 25th according to him. He added 9 months and got December 25th and established a date for festivals.
Jesus: Had twelve disciples.
  • Mithras - He is never shown with disciples. He is shown with the 12 signs of the zodiac which are constellations of stars. Second photo is Mithras killing a bull surrounded by other events in his life.
  • Horus - This one depiction is him before 12 gods not disciples. Second photo, he is pictured with 12 stars representing half a 24 day. He was a sky god and considered to contain the sun/day and moon/night.
Jesus: Was crucified, dead for three days, and resurrected. Had a Last supper.
  • Crucifixion was a method of execution invented by the Roman Empire thousands of years after the times of Mithras / Horus
  • Mithras - There is nothing that shows Mithras was crucified or resurrected. In the Mithras cult he never dies or has a last supper.
  • Horus - He was never crucified or resurrected. He never died or had a last supper either.
  • Osiris - He was resurrected from the dead temporarily but died again and became the lord of the underworld.

Yahda

Veteran
It’s basically the same concepts. Jesus is the son/SUN associated with the 12 Zodiacs/disciples that revolves around the sun/son. Jesus is the way the truth & the LIGHT/sun, the bright morning STAR. It’s sun worship anyway you twist it. Christians have been very manipulated and deceived.

MR BEAN

Rookie
It’s basically the same concepts. Jesus is the son/SUN associated with the 12 Zodiacs/disciples that revolves around the sun/son. Jesus is the way the truth & the LIGHT/sun, the bright morning STAR. It’s sun worship anyway you twist it. Christians have been very manipulated and deceived.
Son = Sun?

Sibi

Star
prove it please
What was crucifixion in ancient Rome like?
Crucifixion was a form of capital punishment used in ancient times, including by Persians, Romans, Phoenicians and Carthaginians on slaves, freedmen, pirates, rebels and other non-full citizens. In the case of ancient Rome, an additionally low-status citizen (humiliores) could be sentenced to such death – especially in the case of a serious crime, e.g. treason of one’s country.​

MR BEAN

Rookie
Yes. It’s just a play on words to deceive the masses which isn’t that hard unfortunately lol. Sit tight I’m working on more connections.
Even if Son was meant to mean sun, that would still only apply to the english translations.

Yahda

Veteran
Even if Son was meant to mean sun, that would still only apply to the english translations.
The concept of Christ was around way before Christianity whether you choose to believe it or not. All cultures have their version of this same story. Christianity being the latest and the most watered down. Christianity is not special sorry.

Yahda

Veteran
The SON/SUN walked on water. The sun is a light source that literally walk on water passing over bodies of water. As a matter of fact this will be too easy for me so I think I will check out now. Christians will remain stuck in their ways forever so why should I bother?

Sibi

Star
Son = Sun presumes they have the same meaning in the original languages of scripture, Greek and Hebrew.

Γιος = son
ήλιος = sun

בן = son
שמש = sun

Sibi

Star
Egyptian hieroglyphics
son = "za"

--------------------------
sun = "ra"

--------------------------
son of the sun = sa-ra

Sibi

Star
γιος του ήλιου son of the sun in Greek "ee-iós tou í̱lios"
בן השמש son of the sun in Hebrew "ben hashemesh"

Vmort

Star
Jesus -- messenger and son of God. God of healing was Appolo in Roma. Asclepius was his son and responisble for healing. So Jesus was priest (messenger from God) from Appolo temple.

Maldarker

Star
What was crucifixion in ancient Rome like?
Crucifixion was a form of capital punishment used in ancient times, including by Persians, Romans, Phoenicians and Carthaginians on slaves, freedmen, pirates, rebels and other non-full citizens. In the case of ancient Rome, an additionally low-status citizen (humiliores) could be sentenced to such death – especially in the case of a serious crime, e.g. treason of one’s country.​
No i understand that im sorry Sibi it was to Vmort about being a free roman citizen I know JESUS was crucified as a rebel disscenter to the rome crown authority specially when the phar. fingered him as such of course crux was the punishement it was treason against rome

Sibi

Star
No i understand that im sorry Sibi it was to Vmort about being a free roman citizen I know JESUS was crucified as a rebel disscenter to the rome crown authority specially when the phar. fingered him as such of course crux was the punishement it was treason against rome
I'm sorry I should have addressed the whole group instead. :)

Sibi

Star
Matthew 27:27, 27:35-36

"27 Then the soldiers of the governor took Jesus into the common hall, and gathered unto him the whole band of soldiers.​
35 And they crucified him, and parted his garments, casting lots: that it might be fulfilled which was spoken by the prophet, They parted my garments among them, and upon my vesture did they cast lots.​
36 And sitting down they watched him there"​