Israeli newspaper publishes leaked draft of Trump's ‘deal of the century’ for Israeli-Palestinian peace

justjess

Superstar
Palestinian officials have said the announcement disqualifies the United States from peace talks, while Hamas called for a new intifada following Trump's declarations.[10][11][12] Following the announcement there were demonstrations throughout the West Bank and Gaza Strip, as well as in various countries around the world.[13] By December 25, 2017, Salafi groups had fired almost 30 rockets towards Israel from the Gaza Strip, with almost half landing inside Gaza. Two caused minor damage to property near Ashkelon and Sderot, and Hamas rounded up the Salafists thought responsible for the attacks.[14][15]

On February 23, 2018, the U.S. State Department announced the new US embassy would open in May that year.[16] The US embassy was officially opened in Jerusalem on May 14, 2018, coinciding with the 70th anniversary of the Israeli Declaration of Independence. Protests on the Gaza border were met with tear gas and sniper fire by the Israel Defence Forces, resulting in the deaths of at least 58 Palestinians, the highest single-day death toll since the 2014 Israel–Gaza conflict.[17][18][19] The IDF and the Israeli government defended the use of force as necessary due to rocks and explosives thrown by protesters. The location of the relocated embassy is at the former site of its consulate general in the Arnona neighborhood, in West Jerusalem.
Moving the embassy provoked tensions and atleast temporarily escalated things. As imo it was meant to.

The deal appears legit since there are numerous sources reporting it. What you don’t seem to understand about trump is that his idea of a deal just means he gets what he wants and everyone else be damned. He does not know how to compromise. It isn’t in his dna. And that short sightedness has caused him myriad problems in his own businesses as well as throughout the course of his presidency thus far.

It seems like a thinly veiled attempt to justify war on the palestinians, and I can’t support that.

Thunderian

Superstar
Moving the embassy provoked tensions and atleast temporarily escalated things. As imo it was meant to.
I don't think moving an embassy to the legitimate capital of a country needs to cause anyone offense, but if you want to just accept what the media's line is on this, I guess that's up to you. No one complained when Russia acknowledged that Jerusalem is Israel's capital, but when the US did it, it suddenly became a problem.

The deal appears legit since there are numerous sources reporting it.
I meant the deal as outlined by the OP. I know there's a real deal in the works, I just don't know that it's this one.

What you don’t seem to understand about trump is that his idea of a deal just means he gets what he wants and everyone else be damned. He does not know how to compromise. It isn’t in his dna. And that short sightedness has caused him myriad problems in his own businesses as well as throughout the course of his presidency thus far.
I'm still not sure how anyone can be in possession of actual facts and still think Trump is bad at what he does. America hasn't done this well in a generation.

It seems like a thinly veiled attempt to justify war on the palestinians, and I can’t support that.
I don't see where you're getting that, either. There's nothing about war in this deal. The idea is to stop war.

Lisa

Superstar
I would have thought the deal would include a temple or maybe thats a different deal?

justjess

Superstar
I don't think moving an embassy to the legitimate capital of a country needs to cause anyone offense, but if you want to just accept what the media's line is on this, I guess that's up to you. No one complained when Russia acknowledged that Jerusalem is Israel's capital, but when the US did it, it suddenly became a problem.

I meant the deal as outlined by the OP. I know there's a real deal in the works, I just don't know that it's this one.

I'm still not sure how anyone can be in possession of actual facts and still think Trump is bad at what he does. America hasn't done this well in a generation.

I don't see where you're getting that, either. There's nothing about war in this deal. The idea is to stop war.
It states it will go after Palestine if they do not agree. It mentions war itself in the paragraph I quoted.

You don’t live here, no offense. The media reports of a glowing USA are just media reports. The measures they use to determine how well we are doing only measure how well the rich are doing. So I’m not entirely sure where you are getting your info tbh or why you are so sure that it’s legit when you seem well aware of media spin.

Well numerous sources are claiming the one you posted is real. So I’ll proceed with believing it is unless shown otherwise.

They had to know the response moving the embassy would elicit... and for people claiming to broker peace that was an unnecessary inflammation if peace was their true goal. I don’t live in Russia, I don’t follow Russian news. I wasn’t even aware that happened but at this point I don’t think they should have done it either.

I’m a pacifist and an isolationist to some degree so I don’t agree with most of this. Too many people stirring the pot to what end? Israel has basically the most advanced military and military technology on earth at this point, I think it’s past time they handle their own affairs. I am not on board with being the world police either so I’m not in favor of intervening for the Palestinians either. They’ve had DECADES to figure this out and haven’t, refused to do so. Everyone involved is stubborn and it’s quite tiresome.

Thunderian

Superstar
You don’t live here, no offense. The media reports of a glowing USA are just media reports. The measures they use to determine how well we are doing only measure how well the rich are doing. So I’m not entirely sure where you are getting your info tbh or why you are so sure that it’s legit when you seem well aware of media spin.
I live literally a stone's throw from the US, and I spend a lot of time there. I don't need to be physically inside American territory to know what's going on.

Media spin? Do you honestly believe the media is spinning anything in Trump's favour? The facts speak for themselves. Employment rates for women and minorities are at record levels, the economy hasn't stopped growing, and Trump's approval numbers are doing the same. If anyone's listening to the media, it's you, because you and they just keep telling us that none of this means anything, and things are worse than they were under Obama.

justjess

Superstar
I live literally a stone's throw from the US, and I spend a lot of time there. I don't need to be physically inside American territory to know what's going on.

Media spin? Do you honestly believe the media is spinning anything in Trump's favour? The facts speak for themselves. Employment rates for women and minorities are at record levels, the economy hasn't stopped growing, and Trump's approval numbers are doing the same. If anyone's listening to the media, it's you, because you and they just keep telling us that none of this means anything, and things are worse than they were under Obama.
I don’t believe it’s for his benefit. There are a whole lot of people who benefit from the delusion that we are doing so well.. it’s boosts the stock market, people make lots of money.

The facts are that people can’t afford housing, medical, or food. Gas prices are back over $3/gallon. People can’t take vacations etc etc.

The official employment numbers are just one tiny part of the actual figure. They only reflect people actively on unemployment benefits or registered with the state as job seekers - so those who exhausted their benefits or don’t qualify for them, those who are looking for work on indeed instead of state employment centers do not count. They also say nothing of the quality of job or level of pay. Or even whether it’s full time. It’s more complicated then some unemployment rate. It isn’t an accurate reflection.

This isn’t the media telling me something. This is me talking and living it.

You also keep referencing Obama in your replies with me but I wasn’t an obama fan either so idk why