Is Smoking Weed A Sin?

Damien50

Star
I would have to say yes to it being a Christian sin in that the body is the temple of the soul and you are putting smoke in your lungs which is in a sense polluting your lungs. I admit to have slipped before.
Any verses to support it?

Todd

Star
My post wasn't meant in contention and I agree with all you said.

Ultimately it isn't a sin, but shouldnt be used to excess lest it become a crutch. If someone has an addictive personality is advise them to abstain but that's between them and God.

@rainerann
Agreed
Got it ;)

UnderAlienControl

Superstar
29 Then God said, "Behold I have given you every plant bearing seed that is on the surface of all the earth, and every tree that has fruit yielding seed; it shall be food for you;

Feed ya head...? Opioids and amphetamines are a scourge on society, but these drugs are REFINED by man into pills and powders i.e. sorcery(?) as mentioned in the Bible (Big pharma is the Devil in disguise-look at how many people they have hooked). As long as things stay in plant form, I really don't have a problem with it. But, once man starts refining these plants many people end up hanging from The Tree of Woe over it. Poppies are poppies until somebody turns it into a powder-then it's heroin. Same with coca leaves and cocaine. As for alcohol (refined), it's the true gateway drug, not weed. People do and try the craziest stuff when on alcohol. Isn't that the reason alcohol was always referred to as "spirits" and "demon alcohol." It makes people easier to possess, I reckon, and our fore bearers recognized this quite early it seems. If I'm not mistaken I believe the Bible refers to alcohol in verse: "For beer is a brawler and wine is a mocker." Oh, and if you didn't know, The Partnership For A Drug Free America is actually a creation of the alcohol (Anheuser-Busch) and cigarette(?) Phillip Morris)) industry to promote their drugs as legal as opposed to illegal drugs. The fox loves to mind the hen house, no? They sell destruction, too.

As for sin, we all are sinners, nobody's perfect. Jesus said that nobody's capable of following the Ten Commandments, nobody. His message seems to be to not specify it as 10 rules but to boil it down to 1 rule. The Golden Rule: Do unto others as you would have them do unto you. In other words, do for others and do your best not to screw people over and you should be fine with it all. As a side note, I've seen a lot of research that suggests following this rule will keep demons and even E.T. away from followers as they don't seem to mess with people as much who follow this rule. So, take that for whatever it's worth. (<>..<>)

Last edited:

The Zone

Star
Any verses to support it?
Corinthians 6:19-20:
Don't you realize that your body is the temple of the Holy Spirit, who lives in you and was given to you by God? You do not belong to yourself, for God bought you with a high price. So you must honor God with your body.

I you are a total pot head - Peter 2:19
They promise freedom, but they themselves are slaves of sin and corruption. For you are a slave to whatever controls you.
  • You are 10 times more likely to get cancer than a nonsmoker.
  • You are two times more likely to have a heart attack than a nonsmoker.
  • You are more likely than a nonsmoker to suffer from emphysema, chronic bronchitis, a stroke or numerous other ailments to which smoking has been linked.
  • Research with nonsmoking spouses and children of smokers confirms you may be hurting the health of people you love.
  • If you are addicted to cigarettes or weed, loud and all that are you a slave to a plant. Yet God created you to rule over the earth.
Now, with all that said, I certainly have toked and do not think it to be majorly evil but do think God would frown upon it in that it alters the spirit and can be a crutch to some. I personally think they may as well legalize it due to people are not about to quit. May as well make money on it for needs as is done with alcohol already. I would much rather be around someone stoned than drunk. I think if someone could show me where God says smoking is okay then I might change my view. But my gut is he would be like put the spliff out and go to the neutral place for a bit before entering heaven and figure it all out, LOL. I have actually seen people drink bong water, FWIW.

Hemp can be used for a lot of things and I do think some ailments are helped by smoking weed, such as some cancer, chronic pain, etc. Heck, I don't really know what I think... but have a feeling God does not want us to alter the spirit given.

Last edited:

UnderAlienControl

Superstar
Corinthians 6:19-20:
Don't you realize that your body is the temple of the Holy Spirit, who lives in you and was given to you by God? You do not belong to yourself, for God bought you with a high price. So you must honor God with your body.

I you are a total pot head - Peter 2:19
They promise freedom, but they themselves are slaves of sin and corruption. For you are a slave to whatever controls you.
  • You are 10 times more likely to get cancer than a nonsmoker.
  • You are two times more likely to have a heart attack than a nonsmoker.
  • You are more likely than a nonsmoker to suffer from emphysema, chronic bronchitis, a stroke or numerous other ailments to which smoking has been linked.
  • Research with nonsmoking spouses and children of smokers confirms you may be hurting the health of people you love.
  • If you are addicted to cigarettes or weed, loud and all that are you a slave to a plant. Yet God created you to rule over the earth.
Now, with all that said, I certainly have toked and do not think it to be majorly evil but do think God would frown upon it in that it alters the spirit and can be a crutch to some. I personally think they may as well legalize it due to people are not about to quit. May as well make money on it for needs as is done with alcohol already. I would much rather be around someone stoned than drunk. I think if someone could show me where God says smoking is okay then I might change my view. But my gut is he would be like put the spliff out and go to the neutral place for a bit before entering heaven and figure it all out, LOL. I have actually seen people drink bong water, FWIW.
Ya know, there are mj edibles where you don't have to smoke? I hear ya about the body/temple, but aren't twinkies and deep-fried snickers bars and thickburgers and big gulps just as dangerous, if not more? They also load the food up with MSG, which is not only a food additive, but a food addictive. See: MSGTRUTH.org. It's a lot of the reason for the obesity epidemic. KFC, Chic-Fillet, and Frito Lay seem to be the biggest offenders on this one. Like something I once read: if they were to take the MSG out of Doritos young men all over the planet would riot tomorrow!;) 70% of food in the USA contains GMO's, so even eating is now pretty suspect. What about all the pollution we have to breathe. Whoever's in charge of that (Oh yeah, the guy who hates the EPA is now the head of the EPA-thank you Mr. Trump). Also, only 1 in 10 smokers get's cancer from smoking, so it seems to come down to genetics and luck. good or bad. Still, it's a bad habit that I myself need to quit-but don't think I don't preach to young ones to never pick them up. What about all the chemicals used in your household furniture and appliances (pthalates-flame retardents)? They cause cancer, too. High mercury levels in seafood, growth factor and antibiotic use in animals and on and on... Still everybody wants a couch and a TV and a computer and a cofee maker, right? So I guess what I'm saying here is that if you don't poison yourself (good for you!), there's plenty of other entities out there that are gonna do it for you anyway. If you don't believe that, just look over your head in the sky and see what they've been spraying for 20 years now... (<>..<>)

Last edited:

Aero

Superstar
According to Chris Bennett, Jesus was called the Christ because he violated the Old Testament’s taboo on the Holy anointing oil. Jesus’ use of cannabis oil is briefly mentioned in the New Testament, but explained in rich detail in the Gnostic texts. “There is no reason to consider these ancient Gnostic documents as less accurate portrayals of the life and teachings of Jesus than the New Testament accounts,” wrote Bennett. “In a sense, the rediscovery of the Nag Hamadi Library marks the resurrection of a more historical Jesus, an ecstatic rebel sage who preached enlightenment through rituals involving magical plants, and who is more analogous to the Indian Shiva, or the Greek Dionysus, than the pious ascetic that has come down to us through the Bible’s New Testament.”

https://merryjane.com/culture/did-jesus-use-marijuana-to-perform-miracles

rainerann

Star
According to Chris Bennett, Jesus was called the Christ because he violated the Old Testament’s taboo on the Holy anointing oil. Jesus’ use of cannabis oil is briefly mentioned in the New Testament, but explained in rich detail in the Gnostic texts. “There is no reason to consider these ancient Gnostic documents as less accurate portrayals of the life and teachings of Jesus than the New Testament accounts,” wrote Bennett. “In a sense, the rediscovery of the Nag Hamadi Library marks the resurrection of a more historical Jesus, an ecstatic rebel sage who preached enlightenment through rituals involving magical plants, and who is more analogous to the Indian Shiva, or the Greek Dionysus, than the pious ascetic that has come down to us through the Bible’s New Testament.”

https://merryjane.com/culture/did-jesus-use-marijuana-to-perform-miracles
This is actually very interesting to consider. The article quotes Exodus 30:22-36, which describes using the oil on utensils and other items as well as using this to anoint the priests. The oil would be another example of something that was separated as Holy from common items that I referenced earlier. The oil would have been used to clean items, which we don't typically consider using cannabis oil for. Keeping things clean was very important according to the law. That is why the oil would have been used on the utensils. This would be similar to what is called "seasoning," which is when you use salt and olive oil to clean a cast iron skillet instead of soap and water because the oil will kill germs.

However, it doesn't eliminate the possibility that this has truth to it. I read somewhere that marijuana used to contain higher levels of CBD and that the marijuana we usually associate with personalities like Cheech and Chong, was the not the same cannabis composition that existed in history because there is a higher concentration of THC in relation to CBD. However, CBD is a natural health buzzword for treating seizures because it has had documented success in modern healthcare and is being cultivated for this purpose.

So you take this possibility, add it to the strange possibility that the composition of marijuana was changed at some point to change the ratios of CBD and THC in marijuana, and I think that it is possible that information like this has been intentionally hidden at some point. My guess would be that it was during the Jewish mad dash to collect their things when the temple was destroyed. It is possible that this is something from their time capsule of things they didn't want other people to get their hands on.

Clearly we know something is missing as Christians. Jesus and the apostles were healing people before. We are just wanting to heal people and wondering why it is not successful most of the time. That is not to say I don't believe there are healings, but something is different. It is not hard to believe that we are missing things because of persecution, which can't be denied from the history of the early church.

Picture it, the year is 125 and Christians are still being martyred regularly. Several professing Christians die and their is house is raided and their belongings stolen. What do you think the people who had access to all of these early Christian martyrs things did with them after they died. They could have kept them for themselves thinking they could use them to their own advantage. They could have destroyed them. Either way, they became lost to the church.

It is hard to know how much is lost to us because of how they were victimized after the death of Christ. They could have known more about this and it has been destroyed. I'm sure the Jews would also not be eager to say, "here, you can have this. I am sorry for your loss." No, they were out to protect themselves and their identity as God's chosen people who were the only ones privileged with this information.

Aero

Superstar
This is actually very interesting to consider. The article quotes Exodus 30:22-36, which describes using the oil on utensils and other items as well as using this to anoint the priests. The oil would be another example of something that was separated as Holy from common items that I referenced earlier. The oil would have been used to clean items, which we don't typically consider using cannabis oil for. Keeping things clean was very important according to the law. That is why the oil would have been used on the utensils. This would be similar to what is called "seasoning," which is when you use salt and olive oil to clean a cast iron skillet instead of soap and water because the oil will kill germs.

However, it doesn't eliminate the possibility that this has truth to it. I read somewhere that marijuana used to contain higher levels of CBD and that the marijuana we usually associate with personalities like Cheech and Chong, was the not the same cannabis composition that existed in history because there is a higher concentration of THC in relation to CBD. However, CBD is a natural health buzzword for treating seizures because it has had documented success in modern healthcare and is being cultivated for this purpose.

So you take this possibility, add it to the strange possibility that the composition of marijuana was changed at some point to change the ratios of CBD and THC in marijuana, and I think that it is possible that information like this has been intentionally hidden at some point. My guess would be that it was during the Jewish mad dash to collect their things when the temple was destroyed. It is possible that this is something from their time capsule of things they didn't want other people to get their hands on.

Clearly we know something is missing as Christians. Jesus and the apostles were healing people before. We are just wanting to heal people and wondering why it is not successful most of the time. That is not to say I don't believe there are healings, but something is different. It is not hard to believe that we are missing things because of persecution, which can't be denied from the history of the early church.

Picture it, the year is 125 and Christians are still being martyred regularly. Several professing Christians die and their is house is raided and their belongings stolen. What do you think the people who had access to all of these early Christian martyrs things did with them after they died. They could have kept them for themselves thinking they could use them to their own advantage. They could have destroyed them. Either way, they became lost to the church.

It is hard to know how much is lost to us because of how they were victimized after the death of Christ. They could have known more about this and it has been destroyed. I'm sure the Jews would also not be eager to say, "here, you can have this. I am sorry for your loss." No, they were out to protect themselves and their identity as God's chosen people who were the only ones privileged with this information.
I'll have to dig into some of the sources more, but I think you are right. It's obvious to me as a smoker, the purpose of the marijuana I get is to alter my state of mind. It's not the holy oil, but some of the components are still there nonetheless. It's not hard to imagine Cannabis was probably used for all sorts of things, and it worked.

There is a reason I tend to have problems with authority, and it's not cause I'm up to no good. It's because none of the people in power or with authority are telling the truth. At least not the whole truth. That's why I constantly stumble upon the theories of Gnosticism. Or the theories find me, so it's either the truth or I'm brainwashed by the cultists.

Thunderian

Superstar
I'm not a supporter of making recreational weed legal, but I wouldn't be in some uproar if it was made legal either. I still think what you are saying is a different question than "is it a sin?" There are alot of society approved legal actions that are still sin. Depends how you define sin. also.

For someone who claims they are led by the Sprit, if they chose to not do something the Holy Spiriting is trying to lead them to do, is that sin? For example if the Spirit is proding me to share an encouraging word with my neighbor and I chose not to, is it sin?

Is overeating a sin? How do you define overeating? If God is leading an overweight person to curb their eating and they have one night of overeating, is that sin? If someone is not overweight and they go on a one night eating binge, is that sin? (if it is, does that make Thanksgiving day a sinful day?)

My pont is that sin is not always black and white. What might be okay for one person, might be really bad for someone else. From a purely biblical perspective it would be hard to make the case that smoking weed is absolutely a sin no matter what.
Wow, I agree almost completely, except I think it should be legalised for all uses.

I feel that a society that allows coffee, cheeseburgers, cigarettes and booze has no moral authority to prohibit weed.

Damien50

Star
@The Zone

Genesis 1:12 KJV
And the earth brought forth grass, and herb yielding seed after his kind, and the tree yielding fruit, whose seed was in itself, after his kind: and God saw that it was good.

Your verses are fine and all I was under the impression that it was from a spiritual perspective. Though I've never known anyone that smoked joints to develop cancer or have birth defects yet I have heard of negative issues with smoking

Where's Hermes when you need him

Etagloc

Superstar
Sometimes life is complex, man. What if I just smoke so other people don't have to? Ya know, man? Like- if I don't smoke that weed- someone else might smoke that weed. Am I a smoker or am I hero? I don't know man, I don't know....

Look, man..... yeah, man..... life. Ya know?

Etagloc

Superstar
On the real, though- doesn't Ecclesiastes say it's okay to drink wine? Didn't Jesus turn the water to wine? I am asking for real. I saw someone say "well, ummmm.... he actually he turned the water to grape juice". That just didn't sound convincing to me. He turned the water to grape juice?? Anyways- if wine is okay, I think weed is okay.

floss

Star
I believe the problem is eventually people will smoke weed to go to bed (speaking from experiences), this is when the actual "journey" will begin and it can lead you deep down the rabbit hole, even demonic oppression/possession. I guess its really depend on how/why you use it. If its for curiosity then its fine but spirituallity is a no no. Plus its just make many people become unproductive and fat, some people I know actually get high before going to work. My conclusion after smoking weed and doing drugs for about 10 years is that if you are addicted, you're a loser. And people will never admit they are addicted lol, no such thing as moderation usage either, that is just an excuses to not quit. Been there done that for me, it is a sin(gateway to a dark path) and should only be use for honest medical treatment.

Tatilina

Star
I believe the problem is eventually people will smoke weed to go to bed (speaking from experiences), this is when the actual "journey" will begin and it can lead you deep down the rabbit hole, even demonic oppression/possession. I guess its really depend on how/why you use it. If its for curiosity then its fine but spirituallity is a no no. Plus its just make many people become unproductive, some people I know actually get high before going to work. My conclusion after smoking weed and doing drugs for about 10 years is that if you are addicted, you're a loser. And people will never admit they are addicted lol, no such thing as moderation usage either, that is just an excuses to not quit. Been there done that for me, it is a sin(gateway to a dark path) and should only be use for honest medical treatment.
As a former user, I can concur with this. I don't even bother wasting my time telling heavy pot users the side effects after long time use. They don't listen, so like usual, they need to find out the hard way. Just like my hubby and I.

Aero

Superstar
I've seen no such side effects from like 13 years of smoking. I was always kind of lazy and anti social. And a lot of things are addictive, and it doesn't make you a loser to be addicted. A lot of people do end up on heroin and stuff but I still wouldn't call them losers either. They are sick. Addiction changes the way our brain chemistry works. But this is the same for things like gambling, and video games.

floss

Star
I've seen no such side effects from like 13 years of smoking. I was always kind of lazy and anti social. And a lot of things are addictive, and it doesn't make you a loser to be addicted. A lot of people do end up on heroin and stuff but I still wouldn't call them losers either. They are sick. Addiction changes the way our brain chemistry works. But this is the same for things like gambling, and video games.
You're special MK case :D, all people I know that do drugs/weed included myself were a loser. Its actually helped me realizing I was a loser for being a junkie, its wasn't "cool" like how it was played out in my mind. Sometime people just need to be told the truth in order for them to change their way. I was definitely a loser looking back at my actions and how I abused drugs. Weed causes so much depression and stress for me personally.

Aero

Superstar
You're special MK case :D, all people I know that do drugs/weed included myself were a loser. Its actually helped me realizing I was a loser for being a junkie, its wasn't "cool" like how it was played out in my mind. Sometime people just need to be told the truth in order for them to change their way. I was definitely a loser looking back at my actions and how I abused drugs. Weed causes so much depression and stress for me personally.
Yeah I feel what you're saying about some of the mentality of drug use. When I was in denial I felt like a loser. I know I'm addicted, but I can't sit here and claim it would be that hard to stop. It's not destroying me, but it's not really helping me either. I'm smart enough to see that. It's on the list of things I want to replace with something more productive.

Etagloc

Superstar
As a former user, I can concur with this. I don't even bother wasting my time telling heavy pot users the side effects after long time use. They don't listen, so like usual, they need to find out the hard way. Just like my hubby and I.
I agree with you and Floss. It's better to leave that stuff alone.

Etagloc

Superstar
I used to stand outside a high school and wait till the kids got out so I could sell them weed. I used to stand outside and sell weed all day. You couldn't tell me I was a drug dealer but I realize now that that's exactly what I was.... it's not a good feeling.