Is Smoking Weed A Sin?

Etagloc

Superstar
Suppose you live in a state where it's legal.

Is smoking weed a sin?

Damien50

Star
Suppose you live in a state where it's legal.

Is smoking weed a sin?
If it further separates one from God as anything else might if taken to an extreme...

No.

My cognitive function may be impaired but I don't see how it would be a sin, indulging in the culture probably.

I smoke, I may be biased.

Damien50

Star
In the Islamic perspective, it is. The reason being is it alters your attitude. However, consuming it as an oil or in a method that doesn't alter your attitude is permissible.
What if it doesn't negatively alter your attitude?

Kung Fu

Superstar
What if it doesn't negatively alter your attitude?
From an Islamic point of view, it matters not for as long as it alters your attitude there's a chance that it very much could alter your attitude negatively. This is the exact reason we're told to stay away from alcohol. We human beings are weak to our desires and He knows that a little could very well lead to a lot as the case with many people.

Damien50

Star
From an Islamic point of view, it matters not for as long as it alters your attitude there's a chance that it very much could alter your attitude negatively. This is the exact reason we're told to stay away from alcohol. We human beings are weak to our desires and He knows that a little could very well lead to a lot as the case with many people.
I asked because I know in some Christian circles alcohol isn't forbidden, I mean a glass of wine or a finely aged won't lead to drunkenness, but in others it is wholly forbidden hence my comment to @grateful servant

All sin is pleasurable for a time, no?

Kung Fu

Superstar
I asked because I know in some Christian circles alcohol isn't forbidden, I mean a glass of wine or a finely aged won't lead to drunkenness, but in others it is wholly forbidden hence my comment to

All sin is pleasurable for a time, no?
No worries, mate. I have Christian family members that drink heavily and I also have Christian family members that won't touch alcohol and marijuana.

I wasn't always a Muslim and I drank time to time. I never considered myself at the time to have a drinking problem and I didn't but there were two times where it went overboard and I really did regret it. When I converted to Islam it completely made sense to me as to why alcohol and all other forms of intoxicants were banned. As you intelligently stated why go down a path you think you can control when you can travel a different path to the same destination but with none of the dangers.

Indeed. Satan beautifies what is really ugly and makes what is really beautiful ugly to us.

Last edited:

Etagloc

Superstar
All too often we see marijuana glorified- but no one warning about its dangers. Let us not be deceived. Marijuana can easy lead to the munchies and we may laugh and think this is oh so harmless. It might seem fun at first. What starts off as a seingly harmless pleasure can lead to a multitude of dangers. It could very easily lead to folk rock.

All too often we see marijuana glorified- but no one warning about its dangers. Let us not be deceived. Marijuana can easy lead to the munchies and we may laugh and think this is oh so harmless. It might seem fun at first. What starts off as a seingly harmless pleasure can lead to a multitude of dangers. It could very easily lead to folk rock.
True that smoking pot doesn't turn people into raging lunatics like alcohol can. But for Muslims it is wrong because it is an intoxicant. Even if that intoxication apparently only leads to munchies.

Todd

Star
I really have no opinion, as I have never even thought about smoking weed, since it is illegal. If recreational marijuna became legal, I still would have no reason to even try it. The fact that someone is even wrestling with the question is likely reason to suspect that it may be, otherwise your conscience would not be causing you to question it in the first place.

Damien50

Star
True that smoking pot doesn't turn people into raging lunatics like alcohol can. But for Muslims it is wrong because it is an intoxicant. Even if that intoxication apparently only leads to munchies.
I think the detriment to marijuana lies in those that have pre existing psychological issues and it creates a gateway where for someone like myself it's the equivalent of eating crab.

It cost a lot, you can't get it anywhere, it takes work to consume and it isn't wholly satisfying.

The other detriment being who you may end up being around to indulge in marijuana and subsequently that glorifiea negative culture.

Damien50

Star
I really have no opinion, as I have never even thought about smoking weed, since it is illegal. If recreational marijuna became legal, I still would have no reason to even try it. The fact that someone is even wrestling with the question is likely reason to suspect that it may be, otherwise your conscience would not be causing you to question it in the first place.
It's a valid question nonetheless because society makes users look like fools when half of silicon valley stays lit.

If it was treated like smoking a cigarette no one would even be asking but there's some weird negative connotation for anyone that does it but it's fine to drink and smoke cigarettes.

Todd

Star
It's a valid question nonetheless because society makes users look like fools when half of silicon valley stays lit.

If it was treated like smoking a cigarette no one would even be asking but there's some weird negative connotation for anyone that does it but it's fine to drink and smoke cigarettes.
I'm not a supporter of making recreational weed legal, but I wouldn't be in some uproar if it was made legal either. I still think what you are saying is a different question than "is it a sin?" There are alot of society approved legal actions that are still sin. Depends how you define sin. also.

For someone who claims they are led by the Sprit, if they chose to not do something the Holy Spiriting is trying to lead them to do, is that sin? For example if the Spirit is proding me to share an encouraging word with my neighbor and I chose not to, is it sin?

Is overeating a sin? How do you define overeating? If God is leading an overweight person to curb their eating and they have one night of overeating, is that sin? If someone is not overweight and they go on a one night eating binge, is that sin? (if it is, does that make Thanksgiving day a sinful day?)

My pont is that sin is not always black and white. What might be okay for one person, might be really bad for someone else. From a purely biblical perspective it would be hard to make the case that smoking weed is absolutely a sin no matter what.

The Zone

Star
I would have to say yes to it being a Christian sin in that the body is the temple of the soul and you are putting smoke in your lungs which is in a sense polluting your lungs. I admit to have slipped before.

rainerann

Star
According to the law of Moses, the question wouldn't be whether marijuana was a sin, but whether or not it was clean or unclean; or, whether it was something that would be considered common or uncommon along with the way other food items and alcohol are described.

It says in Leviticus 10:9-10 that the priests were restricted from drinking wine and strong drink when they came to the tent of meeting. This was so the priesthood could demonstrate that there was a difference between what was Holy and what was common.

Therefore, according to the law, alcohol was a common item, and the priest were not restricted from drinking alcohol, but they couldn't drink alcohol when they were required to perform certain duties that required sobriety like coming in the tent of meeting. Coming into the tent of meeting is not something to be careless with is basically what this is saying. Considering that marijuana is similar in function, I would consider it to be common as well. This would mean that it was not a sin, but common.

The separation of the Holy and common is the same thing Paul describes when he says "Everything is permissible," but not everything is helpful. "Everything is permissible," but not everything builds up," (1 Corinthians 10:23). In other words, there is a difference between what is Holy and what is common, which is the same thing as saying that some things should be taken seriously and with a sober mind. However, this would not mean it was a sin to smoke marijuana.

Last edited:

Damien50

Star
I'm not a supporter of making recreational weed legal, but I wouldn't be in some uproar if it was made legal either. I still think what you are saying is a different question than "is it a sin?" There are alot of society approved legal actions that are still sin. Depends how you define sin. also.

For someone who claims they are led by the Sprit, if they chose to not do something the Holy Spiriting is trying to lead them to do, is that sin? For example if the Spirit is proding me to share an encouraging word with my neighbor and I chose not to, is it sin?

Is overeating a sin? How do you define overeating? If God is leading an overweight person to curb their eating and they have one night of overeating, is that sin? If someone is not overweight and they go on a one night eating binge, is that sin? (if it is, does that make Thanksgiving day a sinful day?)

My pont is that sin is not always black and white. What might be okay for one person, might be really bad for someone else. From a purely biblical perspective it would be hard to make the case that smoking weed is absolutely a sin no matter what.
My post wasn't meant in contention and I agree with all you said.

Ultimately it isn't a sin, but shouldnt be used to excess lest it become a crutch. If someone has an addictive personality is advise them to abstain but that's between them and God.

@rainerann
Agreed