Is Religion A Form Of Mind Control?

Daciple

Star
Dude, you are literally asking someone to drink the kool aid in a thread about the kool aid. Do you not see the irony in that?
Oh my goodness its Flixy! Hi Flix, how have you been? Long time no see, hope things have been going well for you!

No, I posted a brief paragraph on the history of colonialism and the part that religion played in it.

You replied to me by telling me what I'm supposed to think and believe. And you tried to tell me what I think by putting words in my mouth... as if you know what I believe. I told you, you don't know me and it's rude to try to tell strangers (or anyone) what to think.

You quit posting lol.
I can't, It is my calling and election. I did not tell you what to think, I told what you are an example of as to the Gospel, Hoping you would study further, There is no compatibility with Islam and Jesus. That is why we differ.

Serveto

Star
“Religion is the sigh of the oppressed creature, the heart of a heartless world, and the soul of soulless conditions. It is the opium of the people". - Karl Marx
I have always considered this a thought-provoking, insightful, and actually, in many ways, respectful (toward religion) statement. On the other hand, and in light of subsequent, especially political, events which followed Marx's writing of the statement, if religion is the opium of the people, of the masses, and if the system of state-enforced, collectivized atheism, arguably based upon Marx's theories, known as the Soviet Union were an example, it could also be answered that irreligion blocks the serotonin re-uptake of the intelligentsia: that is to say, atheistic irreligion is the crystal meth of the power elites :cool:.

Last edited:

Red Sky at Morning

Superstar
“Amiable agnostics will talk cheerfully about ‘man’s search for God.’ To me, as I then was, they might was well have talked about the mouse’s search for the cat.”

C.S. Lewis, Surprised by Joy

This great analogy describes for us what it would be like for a human to discover that God does exist, and that because he does exist, there are strong implications for what it means for our lives and how we live them.

Dalit

Star
I have always considered this a thought-provoking, insightful, and actually, in many ways, respectful (toward religion) statement. On the other hand, and in light of subsequent, especially political, events which followed Marx's writing of the statement, if religion is the opium of the people, of the masses, and if the system of state-enforced, collectivized atheism, arguably based upon Marx's theories, known as the Soviet Union were an example, it could also be answered that irreligion blocks the serotonin re-uptake of the intelligentsia: that is to say, atheistic irreligion is the crystal meth of the power elites :cool:.
^^^^^
This! :)

I can't stop staring at myself
My face reflected in this empty plate
I can't decide if it's the devil
Or if it's just something I ate
'Cause he's been down there all morning
He's patiently waiting at my gate
He's throwing rocks at my window
"Hey won't you come on out and play with me"

And every day when I get up
I see folks trading in their crowns
For all these paper or plastic lives

An opiate for the masses' hounds [emphasis mine, best lines in a song ever]
And pride like a vestige of lives lost
The stench of the old folks coming around
Now with the news I heard today
I can't tell if this world is lost or found

You go, I'll be waiting here
And I'm awake, no I cannot sleep
So I'll sit upon this rock is you
I ain't standing up for nothing

I've never seen my congressman
But I can't deny that he exists
'Cause I've seen his legislation pass
I've seen his name on the ballot list
The same I can't deny this fallen world
Though not my home it's where I live
How can I preserve and light the way
For a world that I can't admit I'm in
'Cause I know who I say you are
But these crows can't be made to stop
So I'll sit denying by this fire
I ain't standing up for nothing

Lack of interest leads to
Lack of knowledge leads to
Lack of perspective leads to
Lack of communication leads to
Lack of understanding leads to
Lack of concern leads to
This complacency denotes
This approval denies
The truth

But I can't stop staring at myself
It's my face reflected in this empty plate
And I know that it's the devil
So you lead, I'll be close behind
So you speak, I'll hang on your words
You've got to lift me from this hardened tree
'Cause I ain't standing up for nothing

Songwriters: WEBB, DEREK
Standing Up for Nothing lyrics © NIPHON INC

Last edited:
A big problem with Marxist/Leninist thought ( I do not identify as either, always an Anarchist at my core ) is state enforced atheism. All opiates have withdrawals and the USSR failed to recognize it. For comparison the Nazis knew the true value to the state involved weaponizing it for ideological pursuits as was certainly the case with German Lutheranism. Pure Atheism ( think Dawkins or Harris ) is not suitable for the spiritual needs of the human species.

I won’t defend the actions of the Soviet Union or it’s leaders admitting though to a great admiration for Comrade Trotsky, which doesn’t absolve him for all his actions.

I would be thrilled if people followed Tolstoyan Christianity. I have no problem with groups like the Quakers, Unitarians, and so one. Anyone is welcome to believe whatever they want as long as religious dogma and prophecy doesn’t dictate law and policy in anyway other than as a potentially positive moral drive for society and carried out through secular policy.

I will say without a doubt the greatest hope for human freedom in the future is a united world wide labor movement, and perhaps the only way to carry it out.

Martin Luther King understood and was building towards racial unity through labor, it might be the only way to prevent this country descending into chaos and splintering into violent regional enclaves. White Supremacists like William Lind has written whole books about it advocating for a nuclear strike on Atlanta. This guy knows the president of the USA and his theories are a huge part of the Trump platform. Not to mention they have an association of sheriffs ideologically on their side. Trump has a means of going full Benito in case anyone here thinks otherwise.

It seems as if we want to enact the Helter Skelter prophecy, it’s as crazy as any eschatology I suppose.

Last edited:

Daciple

Star
Hi. How is your ministry going and who is chain now?
Its going well, I wrote about it all in detail if youd like to read it:

https://vigilantcitizenforums.com/threads/my-testimony.403/

And I dont think he is on here anymore, but IDK I havent spoken to him in about 5 years. He choose to cut me out of his life over some petty nonsense and I guess doesnt understand Grace, Forgiveness or Mercy. I tried to make amends with him but he never responded.

I heard he married a Muslim who converted to Christianity from the Middle East but again I honestly dont know whats going on with him. Hope he is well tho...

FlixKandish

Rookie
Its going well, I wrote about it all in detail if youd like to read it:

https://vigilantcitizenforums.com/threads/my-testimony.403/

And I dont think he is on here anymore, but IDK I havent spoken to him in about 5 years. He choose to cut me out of his life over some petty nonsense and I guess doesnt understand Grace, Forgiveness or Mercy. I tried to make amends with him but he never responded.

I heard he married a Muslim who converted to Christianity from the Middle East but again I honestly dont know whats going on with him. Hope he is well tho...
Ah man, i can totally see that chain of events, no pun intended, akshually, given our end of contact.

Anyways. Ill check out the thread. Glad youre still about. Also glad i dont feel like debating religion anymore lol. To each their own as long as no harm is intended.

Serveto

Star
A big problem with Marxist/Leninist thought ( I do not identify as either, always an Anarchist at my core ) is state enforced atheism. All opiates have withdrawals and the USSR failed to recognize it ... I won’t defend the actions of the Soviet Union or it’s leaders ...
Please excuse the ellipses -I want to narrowly focus. I understand and don't usually assume that, because somebody quotes a famous thinker, in this case Marx, one is necessarily a disciple or devotee of said thinker in every respect. I am just having some fun with his famous statement. I am also thinking, now, that, if "religion is the opiate of the people," the Soviet Union, quite possibly, was court-ordered rehab lol. Evidently, and though it was long-imposed, for over a century, it was a largely ineffective rehabilitation facility because I notice that George Orwell's crow named Moses in Animal Farm, who held out the prospects of Sugarcandy Mountain, that is, of Heaven, to the oppressed serfs and workers, has returned, which crow represented the clerical, priestly caste, and that the Russian Orthodox Church, among others in the region, seems to be experiencing a resurgence of attendance, belief and political action. Religion is, or can be, a fascinating subject of study, which subject has engaged the minds not only of many participants on this board, clearly, but also of thinkers and philosophers worldwide. Karl Marx is one of many examples.

Last edited:

DevaWolf

Veteran
I am an atheist and I largely agree with the OP.

This whole 'people have free will' thing would make sense if people were the only ones who killed, but God kills too according to the Bible. God is perfect, but yet he kills those who he created because they were disobedient, while he knows everything so if he wanted obedience he should not have given them free will etc.

So either God does not care, or God does not exist. Either way, worshipping him isn't going to change anything.

Red Sky at Morning

Superstar
I am an atheist and I largely agree with the OP.

This whole 'people have free will' thing would make sense if people were the only ones who killed, but God kills too according to the Bible. God is perfect, but yet he kills those who he created because they were disobedient, while he knows everything so if he wanted obedience he should not have given them free will etc.

So either God does not care, or God does not exist. Either way, worshipping him isn't going to change anything.
OK. To be an atheist I presume you give credence to the idea of “abiogenesis” I.e. life from non-life. I studied biochemistry at university and I was genuinely surprised at the over-confidence the atheistic members of the faculty had in this process.

Dr James Tour, a renowned synthetic organic chemist expressed his professional doubts over the likelihood of this “simple cell” ever coming into being. I agree with him.

DevaWolf

Veteran
OK. To be an atheist I presume you give credence to the idea of “abiogenesis” I.e. life from non-life. I studied biochemistry at university and I was genuinely surprised at the over-confidence the atheistic members of the faculty had in this process.

Dr James Tour, a renowned synthetic organic chemist expressed his professional doubts over the likelihood of this “simple cell” ever coming into being. I agree with him.

What does this have to do with anything I posted?

It counters nothing. If you are right, there is still zero proof God cares about humans for the reasons stated above and therefore it does not matter if he exists or not.

Red Sky at Morning

Superstar
What does this have to do with anything I posted?

It counters nothing. If you are right, there is still zero proof God cares about humans for the reasons stated above and therefore it does not matter if he exists or not.
I think it is worth starting at first principles.

A conversation about a God who exists but who you dislike would require you to re-assign yourself as an "anti-theist" rather than an atheist.

The question of whether a fictional, non-existant God "cares" is as meaningless as asking if Harry Potter cares!

So @DevaWolf - what would you identify as?

DevaWolf

Veteran
I think it is worth starting at first principles.

A conversation about a God who exists but who you dislike would require you to re-assign yourself as an "anti-theist" rather than an atheist.

The question of whether a fictional, non-existant God "cares" is as meaningless as asking if Harry Potter cares!

So @DevaWolf - what would you identify as?
I don't believe God exists so I am an atheist, but IF he does I would be an ''anti-theist'' if he even remotely resembles the being described in the Abrahamic trilogy. Vengeful, angry, destructive, yeah not my kind of type.
If he turned out to be a kind, loving hippie type like some new agers or christians believe then fine but then the books are wrong about him and worshipping him would not be necessary anyway.

DevaWolf

Veteran
Harry Potter is very caring. I've read the books and seen the films....nobody cares more than Harry Potter....lol
Yep and Harry Potter is a fictional character just like the god of the bible. I would prefer worshipping HP based on the character descriptions.

Awoken2

Superstar
I don't believe God exists so I am an atheist, but IF he does I would be an ''anti-theist'' if he even remotely resembles the being described in the Abrahamic trilogy. Vengeful, angry, destructive, yeah not my kind of type.
If he turned out to be a kind, loving hippie type like some new agers or christians believe then fine but then the books are wrong about him and worshipping him would not be necessary anyway.
From all the evidence I've seen God is nothing more than a belief system, a mental construct.

More importantly the constructors of this belief system are now well under way in the deconstruction process.

The new world order has no need for religion as they will be able to control every aspect of our lives anyway....and that includes life and death.....just line God does now....apparently.

You may not believe in the secular god of the religious, They have given God a bad name. But it is in everyone to know there is a God. The one in the Scriptures, and while you may deny Him, When your life is in imminent danger, you will call out to God instinctively and will wonder when you are on your death bed if you were right. The religious are not born again believers. You must be born again.

DevaWolf

Veteran
You may not believe in the secular god of the religious, They have given God a bad name. But it is in everyone to know there is a God. The one in the Scriptures, and while you may deny Him, When your life is in imminent danger, you will call out to God instinctively and will wonder when you are on your death bed if you were right. The religious are not born again believers. You must be born again.
I never called on god in times my life was in danger, because I did not believe in him. I also know plenty of people who are ill and have been in danger and have not called upon god. And if they did, like I have when I was in danger as a kid called out and got no response; what reason is there to believe he is there when he doesn't help those most in need or lets babies die in the womb etc? There is absolutely no reason to believe any god who lets that happen is benign.
And if it were so that human beings were made to be tested and get a choice in an eternal game, we should all know about that choice from the start of our lives with a clear explanation like a sports competition. I don't recall receiving any instructions before birth, do you?
Doesn't sound fair to me, even worse when losing grants you eternal torment.