Is LGBT+ acceptance campaign starting to backfire?

JoChris

Superstar
From report https://www.glaad.org/sites/default/files/Accelerating Acceptance 2019.pdf

Five years ago, GLAAD partnered with The Harris Poll to launch a unique index to measure Americans’ attitudes toward lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and queer (LGBTQ) people and issues. In the first three years of the Harris Poll study, the Accelerating Acceptance report showed positive momentum year-over-year, with Americans stating they were more comfortable with LGBTQ people and more supportive of LGBTQ issues. These results paralleled historic steps in LGBTQ visibility in our culture as well as the passage of marriage equality nationwide and other pro-LGBTQ legal wins.

Last year, however, the acceptance pendulum abruptly stopped and swung in the opposite direction. More non-LGBTQ adults responded that they were “very” or “somewhat” uncomfortable around LGBTQ people in select scenarios. The decline was paired with a significant increase in LGBTQ respondents reporting discrimination because of sexual orientation or gender identity. The decline in acceptance and rise in discrimination found in the survey corresponded to an increase in hateful rhetoric in our culture.

1561715588566.png

As a foreigner I would like to know if this move is unique to USA only (perhaps people more honest with Trump in power). Are there any similar reports from first world English speaking countries?

Headlines that stated ‘LGBTQ acceptance is eroding’ were a call to arms for GLAAD and so many around the country. GLAAD doubled down on our formula for making culture change and has now trained nearly 10,000 individuals through the GLAAD Media Institute. The GMI officially launched last year with the index, aimed at empowering LGBTQ people and allies to accelerate acceptance by advancing their own stories and sharing LGBTQ messages that create change.

Or maybe they have educated young people way better than they realised.... and young people are actually REJECTING "gay is normal" propaganda instead?

Thunderian

Superstar
I think it's a gay hangover. People are tired of the incessant message that being gay is the greatest thing ever. Who cares? Even gay people I know are sick of it.

GLAAD doubled down on our formula for making culture change and has now trained nearly 10,000 individuals through the GLAAD Media Institute. The GMI officially launched last year with the index, aimed at empowering LGBTQ people and allies to accelerate acceptance by advancing their own stories and sharing LGBTQ messages that create change.
If your efforts are appearing to have the opposite effect, the solution is not more of the same.

I'm surprised they haven't blamed Trump.

JoChris

Superstar
I think it's a gay hangover. People are tired of the incessant message that being gay is the greatest thing ever. Who cares? Even gay people I know are sick of it.

If your efforts are appearing to have the opposite effect, the solution is not more of the same.

I'm surprised they haven't blamed Trump.
I think they tried to blame Trump here in code language.

Last year, however, the acceptance pendulum abruptly stopped and swung in the opposite direction. More non-LGBTQ adults responded that they were “very” or “somewhat” uncomfortable around LGBTQ people in select scenarios ....decline in acceptance and rise in discrimination found in the survey corresponded to an increase in hateful rhetoric in our culture.

Last year, however, the acceptance pendulum abruptly stopped and swung in the opposite direction. More non-LGBTQ adults responded that they were “very” or “somewhat” uncomfortable around LGBTQ people in select scenarios ....decline in acceptance and rise in discrimination found in the survey corresponded to an increase in hateful rhetoric in our culture.

It is Trump and the rise of the theocrats behind him. There is this and now 25% of Evangelicals and 22% of mainline Protestants believe its ok to not serve blacks as part of "religious freedom".

Thunderian

Superstar

I don't know how I missed that.

Thunderian

Superstar
It is Trump and the rise of the theocrats behind him. There is this and now 25% of Evangelicals and 22% of mainline Protestants believe its ok to not serve blacks as part of "religious freedom".
It's nuts, because about a third of evangelicals are people of colour, and attend churches that are racially diverse, like mine. It makes things reeeaaallyy awkward when we're passing out the communion crackers, let me tell you. I know I always avoid the Africans and even the dark Filipinos and Latinx's when it's my turn to be an usher.

It's nuts, because about a third of evangelicals are people of colour, and attend churches that are racially diverse, like mine. It makes things reeeaaallyy awkward when we're passing out the communion crackers, let me tell you. I know I always avoid the Africans and even the dark Filipinos and Latinx's when it's my turn to be an usher.
So what?

“Support for religiously based service refusals targeting African Americans has more than doubled among white evangelical Protestants (up to 22% now from 8% in 2014) and white mainline Protestants (up to 22% from 5%), while the religiously unaffiliated (11% vs. 10%), Catholics (14% vs. 12%), and nonwhite Protestants (14% vs. 10%) have remained mostly stable in their attitudes on these is”

https://www.prri.org/research/increasing-support-for-religiously-based-service-refusals/

free2018

Star
From report https://www.glaad.org/sites/default/files/Accelerating Acceptance 2019.pdf

Five years ago, GLAAD partnered with The Harris Poll to launch a unique index to measure Americans’ attitudes toward lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and queer (LGBTQ) people and issues. In the first three years of the Harris Poll study, the Accelerating Acceptance report showed positive momentum year-over-year, with Americans stating they were more comfortable with LGBTQ people and more supportive of LGBTQ issues. These results paralleled historic steps in LGBTQ visibility in our culture as well as the passage of marriage equality nationwide and other pro-LGBTQ legal wins.

Last year, however, the acceptance pendulum abruptly stopped and swung in the opposite direction. More non-LGBTQ adults responded that they were “very” or “somewhat” uncomfortable around LGBTQ people in select scenarios. The decline was paired with a significant increase in LGBTQ respondents reporting discrimination because of sexual orientation or gender identity. The decline in acceptance and rise in discrimination found in the survey corresponded to an increase in hateful rhetoric in our culture.

View attachment 23490

As a foreigner I would like to know if this move is unique to USA only (perhaps people more honest with Trump in power). Are there any similar reports from first world English speaking countries?

Headlines that stated ‘LGBTQ acceptance is eroding’ were a call to arms for GLAAD and so many around the country. GLAAD doubled down on our formula for making culture change and has now trained nearly 10,000 individuals through the GLAAD Media Institute. The GMI officially launched last year with the index, aimed at empowering LGBTQ people and allies to accelerate acceptance by advancing their own stories and sharing LGBTQ messages that create change.

Or maybe they have educated young people way better than they realised.... and young people are actually REJECTING "gay is normal" propaganda instead?
Yeah, there is a whole backlash thing going on. And the Zoomers are more direct about it in some respects.

Last edited:

JoChris

Superstar
I would love to see the % religious versus atheists amongst the group expressing discomfort.

I expect that religious young adults would be much more likely to be uncomfortable around LGBTQ+ people, but I doubt 100% atheist young adults would be comfortable around LGBTQ+.

The USA blacks versus whites is a totally different issue and a distraction tactic.

Sunshine

Established
No, it's because they are consistently shoving their ridiculous b.s. down our throats. The gross drag queens reading to kids at library "story times," the "Waaah, I'm gay, so I deserve special preference, and if you don't give it to me, I'll sue/protest" nonsense, and the constant barrage of "boy/girl/neither/both" is, quite frankly, exhausting.

I have had gay friends all of my life, and it was never a big deal. People have relationships and the good and the bad that come with them, whatever. This social/political push is purposefully stomping on the notion of Common Decency. Adding nudity or sexually suggestive dress, the gender-bending and elements of p***philia is NOT winning any hearts and minds in Middle America.

Why, for example, is June all of a sudden "Gay Everything" month, with companies plastering rainbows all over their advertising? It used to be June = Summer. (Yay!)

Side note: the old symbols of pink triangles and flamingos worked just fine. Why did they have to hijack the Rainbow? It is the symbol of God's promise to Moses that He would never flood the world again. If they want to use it as a symbol of inclusion, wouldn't it be better suited to an anti-racism campaign or some such thing? It's kind of a waste to use it for merely for sexual orientation.

As a whole, I think most people are fine with equal treatment under the law, especially when it comes to marriage, family relationships and public and/or workplace discrimination. But the movement has devolved into a free-for-all, and yeah, there is a growing feeling of "enough already" amongst the 90% of Americans who aren't GBLTQXYZ.