Is it moral to force men or women to wear veils or any particular garment?

Glad 2 know

Veteran
I remember reading somewhere a long time ago, that women have been forced to wear body, head and face coverings because they don't want to be walking temptations for men for they can't control their urges. It sounded animalistic to me. It made me think that humans are not animals but yet they don't reason, they just go along with whatever they feel and that is animalistic in itself. Men haven't been taught as children to be respectful of women and to keep their feelings in check. I have even read how some women wearing burqas are sexually harassed. You can't even see them and they're still being harassed as if they were wearing revealing clothing!

Even if a woman is wearing inappropriate clothing, a man needs to be a gentleman and be respectful, not desperate and disrespectful.

Women need to wear stylish, yet modest clothing. I personally feel uncomfortable seeing women showing too much skin. The only ones that need to see that much is themselves and their spouses. No one else.

The problem lies in that lack of education and respect. Some women are not taught self-respect by wearing respectable clothing, and men are not taught self-control and respect.

Glad 2 know

Veteran
Some Muslims try to read apparel restrictions in their holy books just as you do in yours.

Why would you think that the bible has moral authority, given that it is a book that begins with a talking serpent and donkey and is obviously a book of allegory and myth?

You do not believe in talking animals. Right?

Regards
DL
In the Bible it doesn't say specifically what to wear but it does say to dress with modesty and soundness of mind. One has to meditate on what is good for one's self and others. Modesty makes sense. Being dressed in a way that you're comfortable, look nice and doesn't reveal a lot. That is balanced and makes sense.

Yes the Bible has moral authority. It sets guidelines for all us humans. It teaches how to be wise, how to learn from past examples, to love our neighbor , the 10 commandments, the fruitage of the spirit and things that God detests.

It does not begin talking about a talking serpent, it begins by telling the order in which things were created.

I don't believe in talking animals, for God did not give them that ability even though He obviously has the power to make them talk. The rebellious satan has a lot of power and can turn into anything he wants or pull off things that science cannot explain. Science cannot explain spiritual-world matters. In order to accomplish his evil purpose in a sneaky way, what better that to disguise himself as a talking snake or make the snake talk.

As for the donkey, the rider Balaam had every intention of going to curse Israel, the nation chosen by God. The Angel appeared so he could stop him but only the donkey was able to see the Angel. Obviously the donkey was smart enough to realize there was a spiritual creature blocking him and did what he could to evade him. Balaam was not smart enough to realize why the donkey didn't want to keep going. He was dumb enough to just beat him into submission. Even after God gave the donkey the ability to talk and asked Balaam "Why do you keep hitting me?" (who likes getting beat?, no one, not even animals) Balaam was not awakened enough to ask "why is this animal talking?" Wouldn't the average person be spooked after hearing an animal talk or question how it is even happening? Even after talking with this donkey (that he had had many years and never before talked) Balaam carried on like it was no big deal, seriously I cannot even see my self talking back an forth with an animal. Then the Angel showed himself to Balaam and gave him instructions on what to do and not curse Israel. Even though this happened to Balaam he did not attribute this divine intervention to God, he just had a closed mind and eyes that did not allow him to reason and realize "oh my, animals don't talk, this donkey has never talked! why is he talking?"

justjess

Superstar
I was told by the vice principal of my middle school - a youngish white man, maybe 30’s or early 40’s - that my clothing was distracting to the boys. I told him it seemed more likely it was distracting to him and he should figure out a way to deal with it.

It’s always been like that. This isn’t a racial or cultural or religious thing. It isn’t limited by that. Islam and Orthodox Judaism just happen to make it law/tenant.

But no I don’t think it’s fair. I think people should wear whatever the heck they want. But I’m also not going to tell some religious person they can’t enforce modesty as per their beliefs, it’s pointless and would go no where. I would strongly encourage any member of that religion who did not agree to leave the religion instead.