Is it just a matter of time?

Lisa

Superstar
Well let's hope not because some of them actually don't, really. Cocaine, for example, doesn't have any real legitimate therapeutic use. Mushrooms on the other hand there is a lot of evidence that they can be useful, for example in treating cluster headaches. They've been used for thousands of years in some indigenous shamanic cultures, it's not like the case of things which were invented in laboratories.

Thing is you just have to drop the category "drugs", in using it you are projecting some similarity between things which are different. There is no practical actual similarity between substances like methamphetamine and crack on the one hand, ganja and mushrooms on the other.
Well I would never have thought any illegal drug would be known to have any health benefits, honestly. So, as a way to legalize them, the easiest and looks like the most effective way to do it seems to be saying there is a health benefit.

Now whether there really is a health benefit that is the real question.

Lurker

Star
And yet they’re so damn terrified of opioids that even when I had surgery to remove gallstones, the pharmacy I usually use to get prescriptions refused to fill a script for OxyContin.
I would have gone postal.
. But they want to push hallucination mushrooms now?
Not exactly. Big Pharma wants to hijack properties from the shrooms.

shankara

Star
Saved me from doing drugs..and I consider that a good thing.
Nobody is suggesting taking away your freedom not to smoke herb or whatever. Notice that you're still using the term "drugs" without differentiation.

Lisa

Superstar
Nobody is suggesting taking away your freedom not to smoke herb or whatever. Notice that you're still using the term "drugs" without differentiation.
If its going to alter your mind, its bad for you.

shankara

Star
If its going to alter your mind, its bad for you.
Well you are quite welcome to think that. You know one of my spiritual teachers believed the same thing, he actually prohibited tea and coffee. Again, nobody is forcing you to use these things, whether or not they're legal.

I just find it difficult to understand why you think that in this case the government is acting out of genuine concern for people's welfare. I'm guessing you wouldn't believe in the purity of the state's motives when it comes to abortion? Or for example, how can we trust a government which allows big media companies to brainwash us with satanic propaganda? And if we can't trust them on things like that, why should we trust them when it comes to the question of what substances we are allowed to put into our bodies?

manama

Star
Its not about big pharma. Drugs create alot of other problems that the government has to deal with. They don't want to deal with them, nobody likes unnecessary avoidable burden.

Lisa

Superstar
Well you are quite welcome to think that. You know one of my spiritual teachers believed the same thing, he actually prohibited tea and coffee. Again, nobody is forcing you to use these things, whether or not they're legal.

I just find it difficult to understand why you think that in this case the government is acting out of genuine concern for people's welfare. I'm guessing you wouldn't believe in the purity of the state's motives when it comes to abortion? Or for example, how can we trust a government which allows big media companies to brainwash us with satanic propaganda? And if we can't trust them on things like that, why should we trust them when it comes to the question of what substances we are allowed to put into our bodies?
Some people do think caffeine is bad for you not just tea and coffee.

Who is perfect? No one. I believe that they did have people’s best interest in mind when they made certain drugs illegal. I believe they had people’s best interest in mind when they tried to make alcohol illegal and I believe they had the unborn’s best interest in mind when abortion was illegal.

I think its a matter of if you put those substances in your body, is it good for you..I would argue that it’s not, so to me the government was correct in banning it. To now say we have new info, this is good, that is good, well, I don’t think that negates the negative myself and whitewashes over the negative so people can use something that really isn’t good for you in the first place.

shankara

Star
. To now say we have new info, this is good, that is good, well, I don’t think that negates the negative myself and whitewashes over the negative so people can use something that really isn’t good for you in the first place.
I think all I can say is that: "Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, but they are not entitled to their own facts."

They are making scientific studies and things in order to better understand the potential therapeutic uses of certain things currently classified as "illegal drugs".

Are you saying that studies such as those finding how helpful herb can be for cancer patients are bunk? Propaganda? Because from my perspective, and I think objectively speaking, the propaganda seems to be in the other direction.

Furthermore, you have to understand the context in which the substances were banned. With ganja for example, in the USA it had something to do with the fact that it was mainly Mexican migrants who smoked. Mushrooms I'm guessing had a lot to do with wanting to suppress the hippy movement.

Its not about big pharma. Drugs create alot of other problems that the government has to deal with. They don't want to deal with them, nobody likes unnecessary avoidable burden.
You might have a point when it comes to things like heroin. The opiate epidemic in the USA shows that many people can't be trusted not to abuse these things when they're available.

On the other hand, it costs a lot of money to incarcerate the vast number of people currently imprisoned with long sentences for drug offences. Not to mention the loss in tax revenues from the black market, or all the violence of the cartels and it's effects on Mexican society and other producer countries.

But ganja and mushrooms? Legalizing and regulating them would resolve far more problems than it would create.

Last edited:

justjess

Superstar

manama

Star
On the other hand, it costs a lot of money to incarcerate the vast number of people currently imprisoned with long sentences for drug offences. Not to mention the loss in tax revenues from the black market, or all the violence of the cartels and it's effects on Mexican society and other producer countries.
Actually the whole reason the US prison system is so messed up and hardly focuses on rehabilitation is because of the mass amount of money the mess makes. On surface it seems like more is being lost than is made but reality is far different.

DavidSon

Star
Drug Legalization in Portugal: Setting the Record Straight

"Portugal decriminalized the possession of all drugs for personal use in 2001, and there now exists a significant body of evidence on what happened following the move. Both opponents and advocates of drug policy reform are sometimes guilty of misrepresenting this evidence, with the former ignoring or incorrectly disputing the benefits of reform, and the latter tending to overstate them..."

Lisa

Superstar
We already have legal heroin. We just call it “pain killers”
Not really, those are just meant to get you by until you’re better. And before you say, what about these people or those people..I’m not going to answer hypotheticals.

justjess

Superstar
Not really, those are just meant to get you by until you’re better. And before you say, what about these people or those people..I’m not going to answer hypotheticals.
it is quite literally. sorry to break it to you.

its intended use is beside the point. it is SYNTHETIC heroin. the only difference being the extent to which it is doctored in a lab.

prior to synthetic opiate pain killers how do you think people dealt with pain?