Is it just a matter of time?

Lisa

Superstar
Is it just a matter of time when all drugs will be found to have health benefits?

Medical experts say mushrooms can pose a danger to a small number of people with serious mental health issues, especially in large doses, but note they aren't considered physically dangerous or addictive. Mushroom enthusiasts say any dangers they might pose are far outweighed by the benefits, especially when compared to mainstream medicines like opiates. Among their supporters is Joe Rogan, the influential comedian and podcaster who urged Denver voters to support decriminalization in May.

“Modern medicine has been wholly effective in advancing the health of the population because it took a very structured, data-driven approach. And that’s a great approach. But it is also limited,” said Ronan Levy, founder of Canada-based Field Trip Ventures, a venture-capital group that hopes to open medical clinics offering psychedelic treatment. “Medical cannabis has really opened people’s minds to this.”

Psilocybin mushrooms -- "magic mushrooms" --displayed by a grower in Denver. Once grown, the psychedelic mushrooms are dried and then either eaten raw or steeped into tea. Denver voters in May decriminalized the personal possession of the fungi, although police retain the right to arrest people for selling or distributing them in large quantities.
Psilocybin mushrooms -- "magic mushrooms" --displayed by a grower in Denver. Once grown, the psychedelic mushrooms are dried and then either eaten raw or steeped … Show more

TREVOR HUGHES-USA TODAY NETWORK
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2019/08/24/magic-mushrooms-gain-popularity-following-decriminalization-efforts/1999501001/

Red Sky at Morning

Superstar
Moderate drinking may benefit 'good' cholesterol levels

Published: Monday 14 November 2016 Written by: Honor Whiteman

New research offers further support for the possible heart health benefits of moderate drinking, after finding consuming up to two alcoholic beverages daily may slow the decline of "good" high-density lipoprotein cholesterol.

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/314079.php

Lisa

Superstar
There is a war on safe, reliable, tested medical opioids going on right now and you think they will be going to legalize other drugs any time soon due to health benefits?

Why?
Because they legalized marijuana and now they want to legalize magic mushrooms because now they have “health benefits”. That seems to work in making those drugs legal so all you have to do is say that drug helped me and voila it could become legal if enough people believe it.

DTA

Rookie
only reason they are legalizing anything anywhere is because its means money for the corporations that want sell these substances to addicted people they have created and also more money for the government penalizing those who cant afford these substances to be legal. and its only legal if you buy from them and pay the taxes on it.
never ending drug laws and privatized prisons . this is the war on drugs.

the only reason these drugs were ever illegal is because there was no way to tax people who use them.
now there is, money is magic

Lisa

Superstar
the only reason these drugs were ever illegal is because there was no way to tax people who use them.
now there is, money is magic
I actually think the government was watching out for people so they made them illegal and it’s the money to be made off of them is what is helping the government to reverse course..greed can change anything.

Reactions: DTA

Chara

Rookie
And yet they’re so damn terrified of opioids that even when I had surgery to remove gallstones, the pharmacy I usually use to get prescriptions refused to fill a script for OxyContin. But they want to push hallucination mushrooms now?

DavidSon

Star
So the Almighty is a dealer now?

"Magic" mushrooms, khat, betel nut, ayahuasca, cannabis, tobacco leaf, coca leaf, cactus, ibogaine root, the sap from the poppy (opium), etc. are 100% natural substances.

You ever wonder why everyone on earth has the receptors to receive these compounds?

The definition of the word "drug" is super misleading: a medicine or other substance which has a physiological effect when ingested or otherwise introduced into the body.

What in the world doesn't have physiological effects? The definition is just stupid.

Man-made drugs are unnatural and dangerous. A person can overdose on relatively small amounts of alcohol. 2mg's of fentanyl will kill you. The established "medications" used to treat mental or physical imbalances have negative side-effects. Those are "drugs" by my definition.

I would agree to be weary of man-made recreational drugs. Opioids, amphetamines (like MDMA), LSD, ketamine, cocaine, etc. are concocted in laboratories (or some dudes bathroom) and you really don't know what you're getting.

This has already been said in probably 10 other threads but the reason MDMA, LSD, and ketamine are being used for treatment of psychological disorders is because they can bring healing when nothing else will.

Chara

Rookie
So the Almighty is a dealer now?
I know what you meant with this, but the mental image of the Supreme Being hanging out on a street corner in a trenchcoat full of fentanyl and cocaine made me laugh quite a lot.

I remember reading something about ketamine being useful for severe depression that doesn’t always react well to more normal antidepressants. Which is the kind of depression I have. Sometimes I think I see a way out if I react well to a new antidepressant they want to send to me, but then once my brain gets used to it I’m back at square one. Maybe I’ll have to try it.

DavidSon

Star
I know what you meant with this, but the mental image of the Supreme Being hanging out on a street corner in a trenchcoat full of fentanyl and cocaine made me laugh quite a lot.

I remember reading something about ketamine being useful for severe depression that doesn’t always react well to more normal antidepressants. Which is the kind of depression I have. Sometimes I think I see a way out if I react well to a new antidepressant they want to send to me, but then once my brain gets used to it I’m back at square one. Maybe I’ll have to try it.
I hope you'll keep searching for answers. I just looked it up we have 2 ketamine clinics in my area. There's a bunch of articles and it sounds promising. Psilocybin and MDMA have also shown to have tremendous potential for certain imbalances.

My main point was that I trust in nature above the machinations of science. Antidepressants should be a last resort, as there's been so much evidence about negative/adverse reactions. I've read a lot about whole foods and natural remedies... which have been the foundation of life for 100,000 years. We know that exercise and physical wellness are just as important (stretching, breathing, fasting, juice cleanses, etc.) to health. Medicinal tea should be utilized more than we do. Then there is an array of milder entheogens such as kava kava root or kratum which have proven to positively effect brain chemistry. For the record I'd advise someone to investigate all that before taking in "power plants" as a cure.

Plants are not drugs, they are part of us.

"Fruit trees of all kinds will grow on both banks of the river. Their leaves will not wither, nor will their fruit fail. Every month they will bear fruit, because the water from the sanctuary flows to them. Their fruit will serve for food and their leaves for healing."- EZEKIEL 47:12

manama

Star
It's not sarcastic or dumb to want to have ownership of my own body. But I suppose it's only my body, my choice if I want to have an abortion.
Buying heroine openly is not the same as getting an abortion.

shankara

Star
Is it just a matter of time when all drugs will be found to have health benefits?
Well let's hope not because some of them actually don't, really. Cocaine, for example, doesn't have any real legitimate therapeutic use. Mushrooms on the other hand there is a lot of evidence that they can be useful, for example in treating cluster headaches. They've been used for thousands of years in some indigenous shamanic cultures, it's not like the case of things which were invented in laboratories.

Thing is you just have to drop the category "drugs", in using it you are projecting some similarity between things which are different. There is no practical actual similarity between substances like methamphetamine and crack on the one hand, ganja and mushrooms on the other.