Is it Ethical to Eat Meat?

mecca

Superstar
I don't remember. I was never really into those movies. And then it turned out they were evil anyway.
Yeah I never really watched Disney either but I've seen that movie. Disney movies always kill off the parents.

Etagloc

Superstar
Yeah I never really watched Disney either but I've seen that movie. Disney movies always kill off the parents.
For me, it was James Bond. I was so obsessed with those movies.

But you know it's very hard for me to sit and watch a movie. I would always just have movies on in the background. Like I would watch those James Bond movies and have no idea what was going on.... I still don't remember the plots of those movies because I never understood them..... but I would just have stuff going on in the background.

For me it was all about

and

I used to be so obsessed with Banjo-Kazooie!

elsbet

Superstar
Flesh food wasn't part of the original diet (Gen 1). It was introduced after the Flood (Gen 9:3). So that should say something. Some speculate it played a part in the decline in longevity.
"Flesh food".. lol. Fair enough, but we're good.

Every creeping thing that is alive, to you it is for food; as the green herb I have given to you the whole;
only flesh in its life -- its blood -- ye do not eat.

Gen.1

God's dictate decreased longevity, right before the flood-- that is my understanding, anyway.

"And Jehovah saith, `My Spirit doth not strive in man -- to the age; in their erring they [are] flesh:' and his days have been an hundred and twenty years.
There were GIANTS in the earth in those days..
Gen.6:3

Karlysymon

Superstar
"Flesh food".. lol. Fair enough, but we're good.

Every creeping thing that is alive, to you it is for food; as the green herb I have given to you the whole;
only flesh in its life -- its blood -- ye do not eat.

Gen.1

God's dictate decreased longevity, right before the flood-- that is my understanding, anyway.

"And Jehovah saith, `My Spirit doth not strive in man -- to the age; in their erring they [are] flesh:' and his days have been an hundred and twenty years.
There were GIANTS in the earth in those days..
Gen.6:3
"Flesh food".....wrong word! :D :D

elsbet

Superstar
"Flesh food".....wrong word! :D :D
Nooo, it was great. :D

Idk if you're familiar with the Mitford series by Jan Karon, but she has a character called Cousin Meg who imposes herself (and her food preferences) for weeks at a time, on unsuspecting family members--

She's awful, but she's funny as hell. :D

"I only eat flesh foods on Sunday!"

That was the first thing that came to mind.
lolol

elsbet

Superstar
I don't remember. I was never really into those movies. And then it turned out they were evil anyway.
It's like Bambi's mom had to die. Animated Disney characters don't have mothers-- except Simba who TRAGICALLY lost his father instead, and was then separated from his entire family.

Weird how many of them are just orphaned. o_O

elsbet

Superstar
Your claim is unfounded. Introduce me to a vegetarian who's lost his sanity and health.

In Col. 2:20-21, Paul is advocating lawlessness and anarchism, which is basically what he was accused of in Rom. 3:8, the Sabbatean and Frankist sects being prominent examples of that mentality. It's obvious that no community can function without laws, even the most primitive ones. None are excluded from this, not even the Jewish community. The ten commandments, despite their primitive simplicity, have provided the West with a stable foundation. These obligations were conceived by people who possessed some semblance of reason. To say otherwise is to deny a providence.
No, it isn't.
I didn't say a thing about vegetarianism.
I said VEGANISM, and the risks are very real.

I'm not sure how the rest could relate, unless you are saying it would be reasonable for meat to be outlawed. It wouldn't.

Etagloc

Superstar
It's like Bambi's mom had to die. Animated Disney characters don't have mothers-- except Simba who TRAGICALLY lost his father instead, and was then separated from his entire family.

Weird how many of them are just orphaned. o_O
I mean who are more examples? I really don't remember the movies that well.

Are we sure it's something specific to Disney?

I mean it might just be something that has to do with heroic narratives- real or fictional.

I mean- look at Batman, for exampe. We could even look at the life of Muhammad (peace be upon him). Whether we believe or not that he was a prophet, he is clearly and objectively a major historical figure. And he was an orphan.

I mean even Luke in Star Wars. Of course it later turned out Darth Vader was his father but you know what I mean.

Luke, Zeus (his father tried to eat him), Ed Edd and Eddy, CatDog, Fairly Oddparents.....

I mean I think family issues might just be a part of the hero's journey archetype. I don't think it's specific to Disney.

I mean if we are creating a comic book hero.... it would be totally natural that we decided something like "a team of ninjas killed his family and now he must avenge them" or something like that.

Any story of the hero's journey necessarily has to involve tragic and/or origins, I think. It's not really a story of a heroic adventure without that element. I mean.... if the hero comes from a stable, happy, quiet family.... then you don't really have much of a movie.

Okay but.... the hero is born into riches then becomes an orphan at the age of 5 when he watches a gang of militant vegans assassinate his family with flame throwers, he makes an oath of vengeance, goes to Asia to study with martial arts masters and then battles the forces of evil... I mean that's a heroic story.

I think early tragedy is just part of the hero archetype.

Etagloc

Superstar
I mean i think it's why Mitt Romney hasn't really been able to get much of a following.

He is a millionaire who was born into being a millionaire.

That is not an exciting story! It is totally normal for those politicians I think but- look at George Bush. George Bush (I am referring to the younger Bush) knew what he was doing. His background probably wasn't that different than Romney's (except maybe actually more sinister) but he was clever enough to have this "aww shucks" persona and "I'm a simple country person" thing..... because of his fake accent and his fake-cowboy act, he was able to make people think on an unconscious level that he was an embodiment of the hero's journey, that he was just some country person of a humble background who rose to the top- and forget that he didn't actually grow up in Texas and that he was from an elite background and never experienced a working-class type existence.

elsbet

Superstar
I mean who are more examples? I really don't remember the movies that well.

Are we sure it's something specific to Disney?

I mean it might just be something that has to do with heroic narratives- real or fictional.

I mean- look at Batman, for exampe. We could even look at the life of Muhammad (peace be upon him). Whether we believe or not that he was a prophet, he is clearly and objectively a major historical figure. And he was an orphan.

I mean even Luke in Star Wars. Of course it later turned out Darth Vader was his father but you know what I mean.

Luke, Zeus (his father tried to eat him), Ed Edd and Eddy, CatDog, Fairly Oddparents.....

I mean I think family issues might just be a part of the hero's journey archetype. I don't think it's specific to Disney.

I mean if we are creating a comic book hero.... it would be totally natural that we decided something like "a team of ninjas killed his family and now he must avenge them" or something like that.

Any story of the hero's journey necessarily has to involve tragic and/or origins, I think. It's not really a story of a heroic adventure without that element. I mean.... if the hero comes from a stable, happy, quiet family.... then you don't really have much of a movie.

Okay but.... the hero is born into riches then becomes an orphan at the age of 5 when he watches a gang of militant vegans assassinate his family with flame throwers, he makes an oath of vengeance, goes to Asia to study with martial arts masters and then battles the forces of evil... I mean that's a heroic story.

I think early tragedy is just part of the hero archetype.
Glad you got that worked out.

Etagloc

Superstar
Glad you got that worked out.
I don't get the random and unnecessary rudeness. I was trying to be conversational with you. Maybe the concepts went over your head and I should have dumbed it down for you.

quarterback

Rookie
jeez this is something that i have been thinking about a lot since i read a *book* even though i love meat.
i'm a meat eater. love chicken, meat and fish which are all living beings. i mean no harm to them, but these certains taste good.

the *book i was referring to is a marxist book. (i can hear the gasps) -- i am very left-wing ... but the topic of ethics and animals came up and the book is actually called "ethical marxism" ... the book puts animals front and centre>:
http://ndpr.nd.edu/news/ethical-marxism-the-categorical-imperative-of-liberation/

i don't mind criticism cos i know it's coming but the good thoughts and intent are there. do capitalists produce such books ?

The Zone

Star
jeez this is something that i have been thinking about a lot since i read a *book* even though i love meat.
i'm a meat eater. love chicken, meat and fish which are all living beings. i mean no harm to them, but these certains taste good.

the *book i was referring to is a marxist book. (i can hear the gasps) -- i am very left-wing ... but the topic of ethics and animals came up and the book is actually called "ethical marxism" ... the book puts animals front and centre>:
http://ndpr.nd.edu/news/ethical-marxism-the-categorical-imperative-of-liberation/

i don't mind criticism cos i know it's coming but the good thoughts and intent are there. do capitalists produce such books ?
download (25).jpg images (31).jpg images (27).jpg

Oh wait... its another trolling comment in the VC forum, so....

download (27).jpg download (26).jpg

Last edited:

mecca

Superstar

Capitalist economic ideas are unethical to humans and animals because it sees living beings as a tool only to be exploited for personal gain. Instead of working together to advance themselves, people compete against each other to sell their labor to a corporation. And corporations only see their workers - or in the case of animals, livestock - as a number that will bring them money and they don't actually care about the individual life of the human or animal they are using. But it really has nothing to do with Marx specifically.

The Zone

Star
^^ spammer denying someone freedom of speech.
you for real ?

i am open to any response or debate but seems like you took the opportunity to spam ? i wonder why ...
LOL, are you you not speaking freely and openly? Did you not just post what you wanted to say? My magic is strong if I squelched you with a few pics.