Is it Ethical to Eat Meat?

Not if humans are a part of a separate development. I might de-emphasize the importance of humans at times, but it's always worth pointing out how, in nature, there has never been such a big jump as humans allegedly ascending from apes. Must recall that this aspect of the evolutionary idea was speculation by Darwin, never established for a fact. It's clear that the human kingdom is distinct from the animal kingdom, although both are governed by similar laws of the universe.

Humans eating animals, all this was bemoaned by Pythagoras. "I admit that creatures that seek our destruction may be killed without it being a sin, but while they may be killed, they still should not be eaten." Humans eating animals upsets balance and people will have to eat meat until this is compensated. Then they will lose the taste for meat. I myself used to be a heavy meat eater. For instance, I'd eat like one or two hamburgers every two or three days. Meat on the pizza toppings. Meat in the sandwich. Meat in the soup. This mania for meat is a symptom of disrupting delicate balance. As condemnable as hunting animals for sport. Eventually, the meat got very bland, repetitive, tasteless, gave me indigestion, etc. and I switched to vegetarianism (once again I'm not advocating veganism, I think vegetarianism is the best compromise).

Don't try to sell me Jesus as a meat-eater when 7 (including post-resurrection) of his unique non-healing/exorcism/resurrection miracles involve food. Those were probably parables distorted into wonders. It can't be denied that there was one instance where he compared the kingdom of god to catching fish.
Why are we separate from the animal kingdom? What are we then? Rocks? Humans are still animals we are just much more unique than the rest of the animal kingdom. Plus we supposedly evolved from a common ancestor not apes.

Illuminized

Established
Why are we separate from the animal kingdom? What are we then? Rocks? Humans are still animals we are just much more unique than the rest of the animal kingdom.
I'm not siding with the Christians here, it is as you said, humans are still animals.

But you must realize that humans have developed their consciousness much further than the animals or plants and that this consciousness development is the meaning of life.

Beloved

Rookie
It's ethical to eat meat that has been raised and slaughtered correctly

Eating meat from animals raised on feed lots is not ethical. The majority of chicken, beef and pork in grocery stores is raised on feed lots.

Thats one of the many reasons for all this sickness: over consumption of feed lot animals

Illuminized

Established
It's ethical to eat meat that has been raised and slaughtered correctly

Eating meat from animals raised on feed lots is not ethical. The majority of chicken, beef and pork in grocery stores is raised on feed lots.

Thats one of the many reasons for all this sickness: over consumption of feed lot animals
I hardly need to point out how people who carry out the slaughter usually end up enjoying it. That is because they develop a habit over time. It's unavoidable. There are plenty of those videos on YouTube. it's not ethical at all.

Vytas

Star
I hardly need to point out how people who carry out the slaughter usually end up enjoying it. That is because they develop a habit over time. It's unavoidable. There are plenty of those videos on YouTube. it's not ethical at all.
Habits are never enjoyable...They are routine and boring...If anything those people end up being insensitive.

Illuminized

Established
Habits are never enjoyable...They are routine and boring...If anything those people end up being insensitive.
Apparently you haven't watched any of those videos. The people are often caught smiling or even laughing about it. There's nothing more implicating than being caught in the act.

Cruelty implies delight and pleasure. It's not that they become insensitive to it, far from it actually. Their human sentimentality doesn't magically vanish (altruism is a biological, innate characteristic), it becomes warped. And they invent all kinds of justifications for their behavior and actions. I.e. Yes, I'm doing this for their own good and for the world, what is the loss of a hundred animals compared to the loss of one man? To save even one man is to save the world.

I was once sadistic myself, I'm quite familiar with how these demented people think.

Last edited: