Is it a sin to smoke marijuana recreationally and/or medicinally?

Josh

Rookie
I have a condition called TMJ, where my jaw clicks and pops due to misalignment. This is caused by the grinding and clenching of my teeth while I sleep, which I have no control over. Nearly every night this occurs and I usually wake up with a painful, inflamed jaw. However, when I smoke or vape marijuana before I go to sleep, I don't grind my teeth at all. I've tried many things to resolve this issue but marijuana seems to be the only one that works. Would it be considered sinful to use marijuana in this way?

Also, is it a sin to partake for recreational purposes? To be completely honest, I do enjoy the feeling it brings and used it for fun before I did it for my jaw. I understand that anything can be a sin if you abuse it or prioritize it before God. But consuming alcohol for example, is technically not a sin. I think the Bible says being irresponsible and reckless due to drunkenness is a sin and advises against getting intoxicated because it can easily lead to sin, but I don't think it's ever explicitly stated that drinking alcohol and getting drunk is a sin. I'm no Biblical scholar though, so I may be completely wrong.

Damien50

Star
I have a condition called TMJ, where my jaw clicks and pops due to misalignment. This is caused by the grinding and clenching of my teeth while I sleep, which I have no control over. Nearly every night this occurs and I usually wake up with a painful, inflamed jaw. However, when I smoke or vape marijuana before I go to sleep, I don't grind my teeth at all. I've tried many things to resolve this issue but marijuana seems to be the only one that works. Would it be considered sinful to use marijuana in this way?

Also, is it a sin to partake for recreational purposes? To be completely honest, I do enjoy the feeling it brings and used it for fun before I did it for my jaw. I understand that anything can be a sin if you abuse it or prioritize it before God. But consuming alcohol for example, is technically not a sin. I think the Bible says being irresponsible and reckless due to drunkenness is a sin and advises against getting intoxicated because it can easily lead to sin, but I don't think it's ever explicitly stated that drinking alcohol and getting drunk is a sin. I'm no Biblical scholar though, so I may be completely wrong.
There was a similar conversation in another thread about mushrooms. Ultimately, from @Daciple his perspective would probably be that when he was a user it didn't help him honor God or be the Christian that he needed to be for his family however mine would differ. I grow and smoke my own for medicinal(mother has MS and grandmother other stuff) and recreational. I think it is dependent on the individual like consuming alcohol will create varied effects depending on tolerance which is unique to everyone. Does it give glory to God, no but I do see it as a personal choice that if it doesn't edify and bring you closer to God you decide whether you should but that doesn't make it a sin.

I can never smoke enough to be out of my mind high and it ultimately is my stress relief at the end of the day to re braid my frayed nerves and rebalance my attitude and perspective. Not a sin but don't let weed separate you from God.

Josh

Rookie
There was a similar conversation in another thread about mushrooms. Ultimately, from @Daciple his perspective would probably be that when he was a user it didn't help him honor God or be the Christian that he needed to be for his family however mine would differ. I grow and smoke my own for medicinal(mother has MS and grandmother other stuff) and recreational. I think it is dependent on the individual like consuming alcohol will create varied effects depending on tolerance which is unique to everyone. Does it give glory to God, no but I do see it as a personal choice that if it doesn't edify and bring you closer to God you decide whether you should but that doesn't make it a sin.

I can never smoke enough to be out of my mind high and it ultimately is my stress relief at the end of the day to re braid my frayed nerves and rebalance my attitude and perspective. Not a sin but don't let weed separate you from God.
Insightful take on the matter, thanks.

Do you think it's sinful to legally profit off of marijuana? Like starting your own farm or dispensary and selling it. Because my dad thinks selling alcohol is a sin because you're basically tempting and aiding people to sin, even though selling alcohol isn't a sin, I don't think.

Also what's your method of growing? If you don't mind me asking.

Damien50

Star

Do you think it's sinful to legally profit off of marijuana? Like starting your own farm or dispensary and selling it. Because my dad thinks selling alcohol is a sin because you're basically tempting and aiding people to sin, even though selling alcohol isn't a sin, I don't think.

I don't think it's a sin to profit off of it.

I do indoor growing with six 600w led lights in a 4x4 grow tent lined with a reflective material for max light. Currently growing three strains of kush with one being ridiculously amazing for its medicinal properties and the other two for recreational use. I use the SOG method for max yields, last harvest being about 200g x 6 plants, then I cut them, dry them, cure them and done. No sticks, no seeds, no stems. I just got privy to loose leaf vaping a few months ago and now I can smoke about two weeks earlier because the grow doesn't need to be super dry to vape but it's still better to cure it for enhanced flavor and potency.

And no, my house doesn't stink lol. The tent has a charcoal filter that diffuses the smell and the jars are kept in my attic because during curing you have to let it breathe for 15 minutes twice a day. It was initially a $200 start up for a good LED light, soil, nutrients, aerated pots, and the seeds. I've spent another $400 to increase my yields for my mother and grandmother but otherwise it's still cheaper and way less shady than buying it from someone plus I add flavors and have ultimate quality control.

hammertime

Listen to the Holy Spirit on this. Some things are not sinful doesn't mean they're beneficial. Not saying it's not beneficial either medicinally or in moderation, but personally I feel as the sanctification process takes place it's something that isn't beneficial to the lungs (smoking)

Todd

Star

I think it is a matter of conscience. I personally couldn't in good conscience grow or sell marijuna if I know some of my customers were addicted to it or using it irresponsibly. If I knew it was only being used for genuine medicinal purposes I could live with that. In all actuality as a Christian I would avoid selling it just to avoid the appearance of evil, even if it isn't. The attitudes in our society would need to change so that it wouln't become a stumbling block to my neighbor. (at least for me)

My wife just recently started vaping marijuana for medical reasons. I have a New York State issued card that allows me to buy it as her "care giver".

Damien50

Star
I think it is a matter of conscience. I personally couldn't in good conscience grow or sell marijuna if I know some of my customers were addicted to it or using it irresponsibly. If I knew it was only being used for genuine medicinal purposes I could live with that. In all actuality as a Christian I would avoid selling it just to avoid the appearance of evil, even if it isn't. The attitudes in our society would need to change so that it wouln't become a stumbling block to my neighbor. (at least for me)

My wife just recently started vaping marijuana for medical reasons. I have a New York State issued card that allows me to buy it as her "care giver".
You make a good point that I was contemplating when I originally wrote that post. Not everyone can smoke a bowl a day and it stay that way forever just like some start out with a beer and wind up with a twelve pack. Life is stressful which I understand but not everyone should smoke weed, drink, have sex, gamble, play video games, etc and I think moderation is key for those that can be addicted but smoking isn't something I encourage. I went through an incredibly difficult time in my life and I decided to try it. It unwound me and let me come out of my defensive shell but it's been over a year and I still smoke a half a joint after working out every night and I can barely handle that if it's just.

Long story short, I would sell weed if my finances were dire but where it's illegal and because I have a job, no. Do I think it's wrong? No. I do acknowledge the stigma that comes with marijuana? Yes. If I tell people they genuinely believe I'm now lazy and stupid and that comes with the territory like a pot dealing Christian giving 30% of this profits to homeless and those in need. Hindsight it's not actually a bad idea...

Honestly because I know drug dealers I would just unload my pounds on them not actually thinking about who this might cause harm but simultaneously I figure anyone's over 21 can go but alcohol in any amount and potency they can afford and still be treated better than me for smoking weed.

How is your wife with the vape? What strain(s?) I grow Gold Leaf for my grandmother's pains, White Widow for me and my mother, and Green Crack for my mother because despite the name it gives a productive and uplifted feeling for her since she is disabled and still working. I do edibles as well because my grandmother is asthmatic and mixing 100g with some butter last a very long time.

Damien50

Star
Do you think it's sinful to prohibit someone from earning a living, be it alcohol, marijuana or tomatoes?
Legalize prostitution in this secular society because women should earn a living without penalty for profiting from their bodies. Oh the irony.

Maes17

Superstar
I'm no religious expert, but I doubt it's a sin.
God forgives, so you have that going in your favor.

I have tmj too. Non painful though.
Wifey has said I've grinded my teeth numerous times in my sleep.
o_O

Like I said non painful.
So if weed lessens your pain, then have at it

TruthSucker

Established
May I link to this thread? Yes sir, of course!

Seriously: you have health problems and found a biological solution. Congratulations man, the pharma industry won't fed you up with probably harmful medicine. Have a good sleep! o_O <-- drug abuse smiley, no irony in here, move on please! I like this one a lot :D, this one of course --> o_O

Vytas

Star
After marijuana was legalized for medical purposes healthy people become extinct :D

Aero

Superstar
Everyone has some way to take the edge off. Some are more harmful than others, but we are all trying to do the same thing. When you break it all down it's the monotony of our daily routines, that's almost like torture. It's the circle of life really, that's what we are doing. Going around in the same circle constantly. Yeah we can maneuver a little by making different choices, but ultimately we are all in the same cycle.

If you aren't hurting anyone that you should be able to do whatever you want. People behave like that already. That's why so many people get away with drug offenses. If you don't hurt anyone, your chances of being caught are practically zero. We've had people running around trying to spy on each other to see if they are smoking weed. It's so ridiculous. Like who cares about abuse! Let's hunt down the pot heads. Because...priorities.

Todd

Star
After marijuana was legalized for medical purposes healthy people become extinct :D
Yeah, because there aren't any healthy people addicted to prescription opiods, right?
Marijuana is less destructive than opiods in more ways than one...

Vytas

Star
It's not even destructive lol.
Depends what you call destructive... Physically not so much, "Alzheimer's" have it's proos no doubt, but for your soul probably only crystal meth is worse... Anyways you do yoga and smoke weed, so you will never admit there is something wrong with it...You can't, because if you do you will be forced to stop it...Being little dishonest with yourself is much easier than to give up pleasures...