Is God competent or incompetent?

The lie was that they could only know good and evil by choosing evil. By choosing obedience and goodness, they would have also known good and evil, but in a different way that did not separate them from the Lord and bring the curse.

What joys do you feel you would miss out on by choosing obedience to your Maker?
The joy of being as God in the knowing of good and evil.

What evil did they chose when they could not discern evil from good?

Without the knowledge of good and evil they could not possibly choose evil or good.

Only your moral sense allows you to even guess as to whether they did good or evil. Right?

Without it, you would not have a clue and neither did A & E.

Now answer my question on the Jewish take or we are done.

Regards
DL

Red Sky at Morning

Superstar
The joy of being as God in the knowing of good and evil.

What evil did they chose when they could not discern evil from good?

Without the knowledge of good and evil they could not possibly choose evil or good.

Only your moral sense allows you to even guess as to whether they did good or evil. Right?

Without it, you would not have a clue and neither did A & E.

Now answer my question on the Jewish take or we are done.

Regards
DL
"The joy of being as God in the knowing of good and evil".

Does the Bible suggest that God knows good and evil through choosing evil?

As regards the Jewish understanding, as far as I can tell, I don't hold the current Jewish understanding of Jesus so I don't see why I should abandon a plain reading of the Torah to accommodate an alternate back-story.

If this means you don't want to talk any more, I won't be offended. It was interesting chatting with you.

God's as competent as it gets.

I wasn't going to bother posting to this site but I feel compelled to. I'll explain my viewpoint more when I finally get the time, but there's a lot to talk about and it'll take a long time to put together, and I'm very busy.
Ah. Something to look forward to.
I hope it includes an argument that refutes God's failures that I put in the O.P.

You might have noted that no one has even attempted that as yet. Why they have not is obvious to me. They cannot.

Regards
DL

"The joy of being as God in the knowing of good and evil".

Does the Bible suggest that God knows good and evil through choosing evil?
I don't know. The bible does show him doing more evil than good given that he mostly kills when he could just as easily cure.

Does that teach him what he does not know, the good and chooses evil. Possibly. He is a slow learner though.

As regards the Jewish understanding, as far as I can tell, I don't hold the current Jewish understanding of Jesus so I don't see why I should abandon a plain reading of the Torah to accommodate an alternate back-story.
Genesis has nothing to do with Jesus so I will take this as a deflection since the Jews never accepted Jesus as their Messiah.

Thanks for the chat.

Regards
DL

Karlysymon

Superstar
Fallen state?

Does this sound like a fallen state?

And the LORD God said, Behold, the man is become as one of us, to know good and evil:

How is becoming like God a fallen state?

If you are talking Yahweh, a genocidal son murderer, you might be right, but I do not think that the Jews saw it that way when they saw Eden as our place of elevation.

Why do you read this myth the less intelligent Christian way as compared to the brighter Jewish way?

http://dish.andrewsullivan.com/2013/10/20/comparative-theodicy/

‘Instead of the Fall of man (in the sense of humanity as a whole), Judaism preaches the Rise of man: and instead of Original Sin, it stresses Original Virtue, the beneficent hereditary influence of righteous ancestors upon their descendants’.

Regards
DL
If man gained rather than lost from the Fall, why this obsession, moreso in our day, with apotheosis? If the Rising man is what Adam and Eve secured for posterity from the Fall, it becomes a right. Common to every human. George Soros doesn't have to tell me he has apotheosised. Ray Kurzweil doesn't have to tell me 'you're almost there'!

It's sort of a disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but i feel comfortable about it now since i began to live it out.~George Soros

If man gained rather than lost from the Fall, why this obsession, moreso in our day, with apotheosis? If the Rising man is what Adam and Eve secured for posterity from the Fall, it becomes a right. Common to every human. George Soros doesn't have to tell me he has apotheosised. Ray Kurzweil doesn't have to tell me 'you're almost there'!

It's sort of a disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but i feel comfortable about it now since i began to live it out.~George Soros
If he did think himself the creator of everything, he is insane.

If anything like what you say was a right, then you would have to explain who guarantees that right.

Rights, I think, are taken more than given.
Rights cannot be given to you unless there is some power behind that gift that can enforce their will on those who might deny you that right.

This brings us to the definition of God that you might have.

Do you take the Christian Muslim idol worshipers definition or do you think it more intelligent to look back at before those religions became idol worshipers and corrupted their religions?

Do you want to read scriptures literally or intelligently?

Have a look at these and decide.

http://bigthink.com/videos/what-is-god-2-2

http://www.pbs.org/moyers/journal/03132009/watch.html

Rabbi Hillel, the older contemporary of Jesus, said that when asked to sum up the whole of Jewish teaching, while he stood on one leg, said, "The Golden Rule. That which is hateful to you, do not do to your neighbor. That is the Torah. And everything else is only commentary. Now, go and study it."

Please listen as to what is said about literal reading.

"Origen, the great second or third century Greek commentator on the Bible said that it is absolutely impossible to take these texts literally. You simply cannot do so. And he said, "God has put these sort of conundrums and paradoxes in so that we are forced to seek a deeper meaning."

Matt 7;12 So in everything, do to others what you would have them do to you, for this sums up the Law and the Prophets.

Regards
DL
P.S. Apologies but I can only reply again to you in about a month as I am leaving the county.

Illuminized

Established
You are going by what our enemies said of us before and after they used Inquisitions on us.

Much of what you put above is false.

For instance, your view of us thinking this world and matter a prison.
Tell me, does this sound like we think as you stated?

Gnostic Christian Jesus said, "If those who attract you say, 'See, the Kingdom is in the sky,' then the birds of the sky will precede you.
If they say to you, 'It is under the earth,' then the fish of the sea will precede you.
Rather, the Kingdom of God is inside of you, and it is outside of you.
[Those who] become acquainted with [themselves] will find it; [and when you] become acquainted with yourselves, [you will understand that] it is you who are the sons of the living Father.
But if you will not know yourselves, you dwell in poverty and it is you who are that poverty."

What do you see my friend? Evolving perfection or a garbage world?

Gnostic Christians see evolving perfection and we can prove that this world is the best possible world, because it is the only possible world, given our past history.

Please do not believe what a lying Christianity said of us. They lie constantly to maintain a belief in the supernatural fantasy world.

Regards
DL
It's obvious that the original Gnostics were persecuted, their writings destroyed, their history falsified, and that the accounts given by the Church Fathers are not reliable. But what makes you think this form of Gnosticism has been preserved? It's safe to assume that all religions have experienced degrees of falsification. The best indication of this is the emergence of sects.

You modern gnostics are like incompetent treasurers, not knowing the value of what you guard. What Jesus is saying in that passage is not self-analysis, as the therapists and psychiatrists teach.

The typical man can hardly know anything beyond his current self, it is of no avail to judge himself from that. It also does not profit a man to know what his past incarnation was.

Man in his egotism assumes the whole world revolves around him. He assesses everything from this centre. His sense of proportion is out of whack.

Man, in his ignorance of his past lives and the possibility of future incarnations, is easily swept up by the turbulence of his current life. He is like a man who built his house on sand. He has no firm foundation for his views of life and so he has built his whole life on a delusion. Such a materialistic person is undoubtedly beset by innumerable worries and fears (he lives in poverty) and he becomes the very source of suffering by spreading and re-affirming this deplorable view of life to others (he is the poverty).

Man does not discover himself by starting out from himself. The last thing he must come to know is himself. When he apprehends the all-encompassing divinity and universality (not unity) of life and serves it selflessly, he will, in the end, know himself. Recurrence to Marcus Aurelius, who pointed to consciousness, not blood (Acts 17:26), as the thing which links all human beings. That is why Thales of Miletus said it was the most difficult thing.

Also, the assumption that this is "the only possible world" is thoroughly materialistic. This is similar to the assumption in Genesis 1:1, that god only created the earth and it's atmosphere. It is written in the writings of the Hebrews that god fills the heavens and the earth. Similarly, the ancient Greeks (Thales, Chrysippus, Plotinus) perceived the world to be "full of gods", crowded up to the heavens. Recurrence to Genesis 1:2 will affirm the Greeks: the earth already existed, god was the mind that moulded it.

Last edited:
It's obvious that the original Gnostics were persecuted, their writings destroyed, their history falsified, and that the accounts given by the Church Fathers are not reliable. But what makes you think this form of Gnosticism has been preserved? It's safe to assume that all religions have experienced degrees of falsification. The best indication of this is the emergence of sects.

You modern gnostics are like incompetent treasurers, not knowing the value of what you guard. What Jesus is saying in that passage is not self-analysis, as the therapists and psychiatrists teach.

The typical man can hardly know anything beyond his current self, it is of no avail to judge himself from that. It also does not profit a man to know what his past incarnation was.

Man in his egotism assumes the whole world revolves around him. He assesses everything from this centre. His sense of proportion is out of whack.

Man, in his ignorance of his past lives and the possibility of future incarnations, is easily swept up by the turbulence of his current life. He is like a man who built his house on sand. He has no firm foundation for his views of life and so he has built his whole life on a delusion. Such a materialistic person is undoubtedly beset by innumerable worries and fears (he lives in poverty) and he becomes the very source of suffering by spreading and re-affirming this deplorable view of life to others (he is the poverty).

Man does not discover himself by starting out from himself. The last thing he must come to know is himself. When he apprehends the all-encompassing divinity and universality (not unity) of life and serves it selflessly, he will, in the end, know himself. Recurrence to Marcus Aurelius, who pointed to consciousness, not blood (Acts 17:26), as the thing which links all human beings. That is why Thales of Miletus said it was the most difficult thing.

Also, the assumption that this is "the only possible world" is thoroughly materialistic. This is similar to the assumption in Genesis 1:1, that god only created the earth and it's atmosphere. It is written in the writings of the Hebrews that god fills the heavens and the earth. Similarly, the ancient Greeks (Thales, Chrysippus, Plotinus) perceived the world to be "full of gods", crowded up to the heavens. Recurrence to Genesis 1:2 will affirm the Greeks: the earth already existed, god was the mind that moulded it.
Like it or not, this is the only possible world, given our history. That makes it the best of all possible worlds, except for the imaginary ones you might think up.

This is an irrefutable fact, given entropy. You likely know this and that is why you denied it without providing an argument against this.

You are in denial.

Regards
DL

I can, and I can do it with ease. However, to do so fully, to give the entire subject the respect it deserves, requires an in depth explanation of the true nature of reality and what is actually going on in the world, and why. Before I refute your points, first I need to write this, but there is so much involved that I need to cross reference it with other articles that I intend to write. It's something that I've intended to do ever since I had a ground-breaking unprecedented experience a few years back (the experience I shall not go into, but the insights gleaned from said experience, I will), but since I am very busy with work and family commitments this could take years. Since I'm a big fan of the VC site, I figured the forums are the best place to drop my not inconsiderable knowledge. So far it's just lots and lots of notes. It'll be worth the wait though!

PS: I know I come across as arrogant... it's not arrogance, it's confidence. If you'd experienced what I had and know what I know, you'd feel the same! Peace!
Those who can, --- do.

Those who cannot, --- put the garbage you did.

Regards
DL

We are told in scriptures that evil begets evil and good begets good. God, as our creator, according to scriptures, creates us all as sinners, which many see as evil.

God can thus be seen and judged as being the original sinner since the fruits of his labor (us) went bad or are born bad. A tree is known by its fruits. What else could come from a sinner tree but sin?

I give God a fail on competence for the following reasons.

God created heaven that produced Satan. Fail.
God created Eden which produced Original Sin. Fail.
God had to reboot creation with Noah’s flood. Fail.
God sent his son to forgive mankind instead of stepping up himself. Fail, for moral reasons.
God also had to create hell for his rejects which scriptures say will be the vast majority of us. Fail.

Jesus said we would know his people by their works and deeds and if we believe that, then the Christian God would obviously be rejected by Jesus and agree with my fail judgement.

Do you agree?

Regards
DL

Right on man right on

It’s either massively incompetent or an evil brat like in that Twilight Zone episode. Which is worse? LOL.

Yahweh is the most destructive Volcano in world history.

Last edited:

DevaWolf

Veteran

We are told in scriptures that evil begets evil and good begets good. God, as our creator, according to scriptures, creates us all as sinners, which many see as evil.

God can thus be seen and judged as being the original sinner since the fruits of his labor (us) went bad or are born bad. A tree is known by its fruits. What else could come from a sinner tree but sin?

God sent his son to forgive mankind instead of stepping up himself. Fail, for moral reasons.
God also had to create hell for his rejects which scriptures say will be the vast majority of us. Fail.

Jesus said we would know his people by their works and deeds and if we believe that, then the Christian God would obviously be rejected by Jesus and agree with my fail judgement.

Do you agree?

Regards
DL
I agree. This is brilliant and sums it up just right. For an omnipotent and omniscient being, the god of the bible ( and many other religions) sure makes a lot of mistakes that his puny creation gets punished over.

DevaWolf

Veteran
Do you really mean those who have chosen evil, or does that also include those who have chosen anything other than the book that you happen to worship?
Yes it does include those because their god says to not believe in him makes you evil. Nevermind not harming anyone or anything in your life, you are guilty of thought crime. Sounds a lot like North Korea.

Serveto

Star

Do you agree?

Regards
DL
In some ways I agree. I don't mean to make this about you, but I personally think you are well identified as a gnostic because plenty of early (2nd century) Christians, though they were later expelled from the Catholic (not necessarily Roman, just "universal") body, agreed with what is now called the "Heresiarch" Marcion that the god or God of the Old Testament and the "Father" of Jesus Christ were and are far from identical. They were known more as Marcionites than Christians. Then again, the original followers of Jesus weren't called Christians until Antioch, and, by then, St. Paul had become a predominant, vocal apostle, so it could be said that they were converts to his version of Christianity, to the "Pauline sect." As I recall having read, Marcion used the verse cited in your op to help prove his case: "... every good tree bringeth forth good fruit; but a corrupt tree bringeth forth evil fruit." and concluded, in some ways logically enough, it seems to me, that, because the offspring of Adam and Eve are said to be born in "original sin," they must have been produced by a corrupt tree.

To me, the History of Christianity is fascinating. In terms of doctrines (and dogmas), it continuously morphed in the early decades until it finally congealed into something approaching an uneasy "orthodoxy." Tensions remain, and not just those which arose during the Protestant Reformation. Even on this board, and as it relates to early "heresies," I see those who tend toward Ebionism, a return to the observance of the Laws of Moses, including the Sabbaths, on one hand, and others, such as Marcion, on the other hand, who would be done with the Old Testament altogether. The "orthodox" remain between these two polar extremes.

Last edited:

Do you agree?

Regards
DL
You are wrong... right off the bat! (So the rest of your argument goes out the window).

God did NOT create us as sinners.

We were told by Enoch, who was God's first prophet:

Enoch
68:14 Since they (men) were only created, so that, like the angels of heaven, they might remain righteous and pure.
68:15 Then death, which destroys every thing, would not have affected them;
68:16 But by this, THEIR KNOWLEDGE (science - 1 Tim. 5:20), THEY PERISH, and by this also its power consumes them.

We were created righteous and pure, but then we fell from it (by our own free will).

If you think this world is hell, then you would be right about that, because it is hell. But, it is not God Who makes it so...

It's US.

I agree. This is brilliant and sums it up just right. For an omnipotent and omniscient being, the god of the bible ( and many other religions) sure makes a lot of mistakes that his puny creation gets punished over.
Indeed.

I especially hate the homophobes who say god creates us all and who think that god created gays for them to discriminate against without a just cause.

They think they have a just cause but never explain why god created them. They just keep on hating and putting sexual preference above love. While preaching love of course.

Hence the hypocrisy of the Christians.

Thanks for the generous word my friend.

Regards
DL

In some ways I agree. I don't mean to make this about you, but I personally think you are well identified as a gnostic because plenty of early (2nd century) Christians, though they were later expelled from the Catholic (not necessarily Roman, just "universal") body, agreed with what is now called the "Heresiarch" Marcion that the god or God of the Old Testament and the "Father" of Jesus Christ were and are far from identical. They were known more as Marcionites than Christians. Then again, the original followers of Jesus weren't called Christians until Antioch, and, by then, St. Paul had become a predominant, vocal apostle, so it could be said that they were converts to his version of Christianity, to the "Pauline sect." As I recall having read, Marcion used the verse cited in your op to help prove his case: "... every good tree bringeth forth good fruit; but a corrupt tree bringeth forth evil fruit." and concluded, in some ways logically enough, it seems to me, that, because the offspring of Adam and Eve are said to be born in "original sin," they must have been produced by a corrupt tree.

To me, the History of Christianity is fascinating. In terms of doctrines (and dogmas), it continuously morphed in the early decades until it finally congealed into something approaching an uneasy "orthodoxy." Tensions remain, and not just those which arose during the Protestant Reformation. Even on this board, and as it relates to early "heresies," I see those who tend toward Ebionism, a return to the observance of the Laws of Moses, including the Sabbaths, on one hand, and others, such as Marcion, on the other hand, who would be done with the Old Testament altogether. The "orthodox" remain between these two polar extremes.

Red Sky at Morning

Superstar

In terms of the comprehension and settled doctrine of the early church goes, I think John Wayne’s quote speaks volumes:-

BA1F7D91-5514-42D1-B576-AC03BC522C0D.png