Is God competent or incompetent?

Vytas

Star
You're not getting it. Imagine the old testament god is just a character in a story. Is this character "good"? By what measure?
Im getting everything...Only I view OT as history not story. And why is he not good? From where we get that little understanding about what is good in first place? If you sentencing God as bad, so like every good judge you already figured out his motives? (why he did what).

Im getting everything...Only I view OT as history not story. And why is he not good? From where we get that little understanding about what is good in first place? If you sentencing God as bad, so like every good judge you already figured out his motives? (why he did what).
The bible does not tell us why he put Satan in Eden with Eve knowing she could not resist her temptation.

You would not set Eve up like that would you?

Care to inform us why God did such a bad thing?

Regards
DL

Aero

Superstar
We can't even keep history straight from last year. That's my main problem with scriptures anyway. There's nothing to suggest that the spread of religion is much different than the spread of industry. Like people would look at me funny if I said the holy spirit was driving the industrial revolution. And the opposite of that is too much to bear for people.

Industry = materialism = satanism. But none of the religious folks are going to stop driving their cars. They aren't going to give up their cell phones or any other piece of garbage out there. And I'm not saying they all should, but whats up with that? Anyone can claim spirituality until they are blue in the face, but we all have to know better. The driving force of materialism has completely engulfed our culture. None of us are strong enough to become monks!

And to answer the question. God is both competent and incompetent. Failure isn't how we should view certain emanations from the "Godhead". I've talked about seeing God as the inventor archetype a little bit before. So I think that error is a natural creation birthed from that. Like first God was aware of itself, than started thinking. It was those first thoughts that created the virtuous and sinful emanations.

We can't even keep history straight from last year. That's my main problem with scriptures anyway. There's nothing to suggest that the spread of religion is much different than the spread of industry. Like people would look at me funny if I said the holy spirit was driving the industrial revolution. And the opposite of that is too much to bear for people.

Industry = materialism = satanism. But none of the religious folks are going to stop driving their cars. They aren't going to give up their cell phones or any other piece of garbage out there. And I'm not saying they all should, but whats up with that? Anyone can claim spirituality until they are blue in the face, but we all have to know better. The driving force of materialism has completely engulfed our culture. None of us are strong enough to become monks!

And to answer the question. God is both competent and incompetent. Failure isn't how we should view certain emanations from the "Godhead". I've talked about seeing God as the inventor archetype a little bit before. So I think that error is a natural creation birthed from that. Like first God was aware of itself, than started thinking. It was those first thoughts that created the virtuous and sinful emanations.
I can agree with your last, if you are talking of us as babies becoming aware of ourselves. If you are talking of some supernatural God then I cannot agree.

There is a lot of evidence that shows that the bible is an archetypal representation of our own minds.

Give this a listen if you have the time, remembering that if you look at Michelangelo's creation painting, you see God sitting on a representation of our right brain hemisphere. The Egyptian Eye of Horus is also depicting that right hemisphere.

What I refer to is in the first 15 min.

Bill Donahue - The Bible Is All About The Mind

Regards
DL

Industry = materialism = satanism.
I am not a fan of consumerism either but if we were to reduce ours to basic needs, what would we have for all the unruly masses to do?

Remember that in medieval days the kings warred against each other just to rid themselves of all the young men who were creating mischief because of boredom.

The same boredom would likely come of us reducing our consumerism that presently employs our young.

Regards
DL

Aero

Superstar
I can agree with your last, if you are talking of us as babies becoming aware of ourselves. If you are talking of some supernatural God then I cannot agree.

There is a lot of evidence that shows that the bible is an archetypal representation of our own minds.

Give this a listen if you have the time, remembering that if you look at Michelangelo's creation painting, you see God sitting on a representation of our right brain hemisphere. The Egyptian Eye of Horus is also depicting that right hemisphere.

What I refer to is in the first 15 min.

Bill Donahue - The Bible Is All About The Mind

Regards
DL
You don't have to agree. That's what people have learned through mysticism. It's in the Gnostic texts, I just forgot which one. And I watched a little bit of the video. I tend to agree not to take scriptures literally. The bible could have some "self" symbolism. But I think a lot of people who read it get consumed by other archetypes. Because the bible is full of them.

There's a reason it's called the Godhead. The universe had to start out with nothing. So there is a process and parameters to creation. A framework God had to work with. Because all powerful still has limitations. At least mathematically speaking.

elsbet

Superstar
The bible does not tell us why he put Satan in Eden with Eve knowing she could not resist her temptation.

Regards
DL
It's presumptuous to say *couldn't resist* because we don't know that-- we only know that after consideration, she didn't resist.

And I don't claim to know the mind of God, beyond what we've been told, but free will isnt free, if you have no choices.

Your 'religion' seems to be comprised of only the one tenet-- attempting to discredit God. That's it. You'd think there would be more. o_O

Last edited:

elsbet

Superstar
You don't have to agree. That's what people have learned through mysticism. It's in the Gnostic texts, I just forgot which one. And I watched a little bit of the video. I tend to agree not to take scriptures literally. The bible could have some "self" symbolism. But I think a lot of people who read it get consumed by other archetypes. Because the bible is full of them.

There's a reason it's called the Godhead. The universe had to start out with nothing. So there is a process and parameters to creation. A framework God had to work with. Because all powerful still has limitations. At least mathematically speaking.
Unless you created math.. good disclaimer ^. :p

I understand that people want to put God in a box so He's understandable (or conforms to their preconceived notions), but by His very nature, He defies comprehension. I'm not applying that to you, exactly, but I see that a lot.

ohnehta

Rookie

Regards
DL
This is just dumb. The Bible doesn't say that God placed Satan in the garden to specifically set up Eve or tempt her as God never tempts anyone and has no need to do so. Satan was there of his own accord as he usually is :rolleyes:. God placed Eve in the garden because she lived there with her husband.

Aero

Superstar
Unless you created math.. good disclaimer ^. :p

I understand that people want to put God in a box so He's understandable (or conforms to their preconceived notions), but by His very nature, He defies comprehension. I'm not applying that to you, exactly, but I see that a lot.
You're putting God in a cloudy box. I put God in a box that is transparent. So I think your argument kind of collapses on itself. Like what have the religious folks been doing all this time if Gods so incomprehensible?

And I have no preconceived notions. I just have the notions I'm most interested in.

ohnehta

Rookie
You're putting God in a cloudy box. I put God in a box that is transparent. So I think your argument kind of collapses on itself. Like what have the religious folks been doing all this time if Gods so incomprehensible?

And I have no preconceived notions. I just have the notions I'm most interested in.
The problem is, is with putting God in a box in the first place- you can't. It's not possible. He's beyond all limitations.

Aero

Superstar
The problem is, is with putting God in a box in the first place- you can't. It's not possible. He's beyond all limitations.
You just put God in a box though. LMAO.

Beyond all limitations gives you nowhere to go. Like it cancels everything out and creates and ends the definition instantly. That's a box by my definition. The closest I think anyone can get to describing without a box is this...

God

ohnehta

Rookie
You just put God in a box though. LMAO.

Beyond all limitations gives you nowhere to go. Like it cancels everything out and creates and ends the definition instantly. That's a box by my definition. The closest I think anyone can get to describing without a box is this...

God
I suppose. I think he solved the box question when he told Moses "I am the I am" basically "I will be what I will be".

Tikawanda

Established
I've never understood how God is supposedly omniscient, yet he apparently didn't foresee what the snake was planning, nor did God do anything to stop the snake from leading Eve astray. I mean, God should've known that the snake was there, but iirc he didn't warn Adam and Eve that the snake might try to make them disobey God. That's something that's always bugged me.

elsbet

Superstar

No, I'm not-- and I didn't present an an argument.. just an opinion. God has no limitations. Not everything is knowable in this life, and according to the bible (I happen to agree), it is by design.

elsbet

Superstar
I've never understood how God is supposedly omniscient, yet he apparently didn't foresee what the snake was planning, nor did God do anything to stop the snake from leading Eve astray. I mean, God should've known that the snake was there, but iirc he didn't warn Adam and Eve that the snake might try to make them disobey God. That's something that's always bugged me.
Eve was framed. :p
I kid.
And what you said is true, from what we're told-- but He did warn them that only one tree's fruit would kill them.
I believe He did know, though. But God isn't limited by Time-- lives outside of it, and has a very different perspective.

Be still and know that I am God comes to mind.