Is belief in the supernatural an intelligent person’s game?

Wigi

Veteran
Where have I denied Spirit? Where did you define that term?
Please do not waste my time correcting your lies.

Tell us what use our spirits have for the supernatural and fantasy world, which is good unless one is fool enough to believe it to be real.

Regards
DL
Does it mean that for you, the spiritual isn't supernatural in other words spirituality is natural?

If not, why you talk about our spirits like if it was an actual entity that needs guidance from anybody ?

Aero

Superstar
Seems like a trick question, but I suppose I'll bite.

I think there is an intelligent way to approach the supernatural. First of all, you need a clear definition and to set clear boundaries. I think that "supernatural" simply means something unknown by science or logic.

My second point (which I've brought up before) is something called the "placebo effect". We are now many years into the whole theory of medicine yet we are no closer to understanding the mechanics behind placebo. Why does the mind trick the body in such a way? No doctor can tell you.

Finally, my last point is obviously going to be a plug for dualism as a philosophy. One cannot discredit the mind/body connection. I mean think about what really drives your thought processes. Are you programmed like a computer, or is there actual non-physical spirit? I suppose both can actually be true, but we don't think of ourselves as computer programs. Take the most hardcore secularist and they probably still think they have a soul or spirit.

elsbet

Superstar
Where have I denied Spirit? Where did you define that term?
Please do not waste my time correcting your lies.

Tell us what use our spirits have for the supernatural and fantasy world, which is good unless one is fool enough to believe it to be real.

Regards
DL
And after all the violence
and the double talk...

Spirit, by its nature, is supernatural. You don't seem to know whether you're coming or going. :confused:

Lisa

Superstar
God seems to do things differently...of course He says His ways are not our ways...
God has chosen the foolish things of the world to shame the wise, and God has chosen the weak things of the world to shame the things which are strong.
‭‭1 CORINTHIANS‬ ‭1:27‬ ‭

Does it mean that for you, the spiritual isn't supernatural in other words spirituality is natural?

If not, why you talk about our spirits like if it was an actual entity that needs guidance from anybody ?
We have you to decide what spirits are and what spiritual means.

Spirit is just our life force and spiritual is our way of thinking.
Spirits are imaginary constructs and spiritual thinking is what is behind our ethical actions.

If we are not on the same definitions page, show ant tell your views.

Regards
DL

Seems like a trick question, but I suppose I'll bite.

I think there is an intelligent way to approach the supernatural. First of all, you need a clear definition and to set clear boundaries. I think that "supernatural" simply means something unknown by science or logic.

My second point (which I've brought up before) is something called the "placebo effect". We are now many years into the whole theory of medicine yet we are no closer to understanding the mechanics behind placebo. Why does the mind trick the body in such a way? No doctor can tell you.

Finally, my last point is obviously going to be a plug for dualism as a philosophy. One cannot discredit the mind/body connection. I mean think about what really drives your thought processes. Are you programmed like a computer, or is there actual non-physical spirit? I suppose both can actually be true, but we don't think of ourselves as computer programs. Take the most hardcore secularist and they probably still think they have a soul or spirit.
I have no problem in seeing my mind and a computer in a synonymous way and you cannot get much more secularist than I even if I label myself a Gnostic Christian. I just see that as my being a better secularist and Gnostic Christianity is a universalist religion.

No non-physical spirit entity has ever popped up to show they are real.

I can live with your definition if you allow synonyms like paranormal, psychic, magic, magical, occult, mystic, mystical, miraculous, superhuman, supernormal, hyper normal, extramundane; which appear in the dictionary.

That does not seem to include the placebo effect as science knows that it is a part of our bio-feedback system and can be duplicated in the lab.

It would be quite the feat if we could train ourselves as children to do a system clean up every so often. Our brains and minds are rather fantastic and we do nt yet know all of our capabilities.

I did not see a clear answer to the O.P.

Regards
DL

And after all the violence
and the double talk...

Spirit, by its nature, is supernatural. You don't seem to know whether you're coming or going. :confused:
Get your definition as the ones I know do not include the supernatural.

If you want to chat lose your shit attitude and comments.
I do not suffer fools well and you are showing yourself to be one.

Regards
DL

God seems to do things differently...
What have you seen god do?

He says His ways are not our ways...
God can speak. Wow. Did you record him?

God has chosen the foolish things of the world to shame the wise,
Why shame them when he is the one who created the foolish things?
Why would god want to shame the wise?
I would think that he would rather shame sinners because of their sins.
Does that not seem more just to you?

and God has chosen the weak things of the world to shame the things which are strong.
Does that not screw up that famous free will that Christians all spot off about?

Perhaps if you gave examples it would show what you mean and even if you actually know what you mean.

While at it, if god does all that interfering, why is he not stopping the r*pe of so many?

Regards
DL

Lisa

Superstar
What have you seen god do?
I have seen God take me from being a nobody to giving me responsibilities in the church and then take them away again. Responsibilities that I didn’t earn, but were given.

God can speak. Wow. Did you record him?
He can speak and He was recorded many times in the Bible speaking. However, yes, I have heard Him speak to me in my Spirit and once that I thought was loud enough for everyone to hear, but it was for just me only and no I didn’t record Him..didn’t know that was going to happen.

Why shame them when he is the one who created the foolish things?
Why would god want to shame the wise?
I would think that he would rather shame sinners because of their sins.
Does that not seem more just to you?
He uses the foolish things, like people no one thinks anything of to shame those who think they know better than He how things work. Though, I think the wise don’t get it, or maybe deep down they do, since that always makes them mad.
The wise are sinners and the foolish more than not are the saved...

Does that not screw up that famous free will that Christians all spot off about?
Why, they don’t control the actions of the strong, you can still do the same things you always do.
While at it, if god does all that interfering, why is he not stopping the r*pe of so many?
How do you know that He didn’t try to stop the r*pe but the person carried on anyway?

the foolish more than not are the saved...
Then you are saved and I am damned.

What did god yell at you?

Let me check my Christ consciousness.

If he did not yell for you to find a religion that was not misogynous and would treat you as a full fledged citizen and person, then he is truly the prick that I think he is.

Listen what this scholar says of the way you saved fools talk of god and if you wish to continue doing so, please ignore me as I do not find you bright enough to bother with as you are. If you are below 25 years old, I might find the patience but if older than that, go away.

https://bigthink.com/videos/what-is-god-2-2

Regards
DL

Lisa

Superstar
Then you are saved and I am damned.
Yep, you are..but the Good News is is that you can be saved if you believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, you don’t have to be damned.

What did god yell at you?
God didn’t yell at me, He just said “Trust Me.”

If he did not yell for you to find a religion that was not misogynous and would treat you as a full fledged citizen and person, then he is truly the prick that I think he is.
His yolk is easy and His burden is light.

please ignore me as I do not find you bright enough to bother with as you are.
Lol! You are a funny guy...bold but then a real scaredy cat when you get down to it. Goodbye till next time.

Yep, you are..but the Good News is is that you can be saved if you believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, you don’t have to be damned.
I already gave you the quotes from your bible that belies that but as you do not care about lying.
God didn’t yell at me, He just said “Trust Me.”
And you think it wise to trust a genocidal son murdering prick. Interesting, but mostly stupid.

His yolk is easy and His burden is light.
So now you see yourself as a barn animal. Ok.

I hope there is no next time and if you have any couth or manners you will ignore me.

Regards
DL

Lisa

Superstar
I already gave you the quotes from your bible that belies that but as you do not care about lying.

And you think it wise to trust a genocidal son murdering prick. Interesting, but mostly stupid.

So now you see yourself as a barn animal. Ok.

I hope there is no next time and if you have any couth or manners you will ignore me.

Regards
DL
You are wrong as usual and I tried to help you by saying that you weren’t hopelessly damned..you can still be saved.

Well, there seems to always be a next time...you just can’t help yourself.

Serveto

Star
Is belief in the supernatural an intelligent person’s game?
I consider the concept of what might loosely though not dogmatically be called karma, restated, in Biblical terms, as "... whatsoever a man soweth, that shall he also reap," a considerably more at least potentially ethical one than the so called Social Darwinism and "survival of the fittest" so expertly practiced by some of the notoriously ruthless, at root atheistic and materialistic, political regimes of especially the past century. I say that by putting litanies of institutional, "organized" religious abuses and injustices for the moment aside, though I don't disregard them altogether.

In answer to the question, then, and though I am not particularly religious even if I do find things of value in scriptures, it seems to me that there is a "law," an inescapable cosmic principle, which transcends the apparent laws of physical nature, though it could be correlated to what we call, in Physics, "action and reaction." Call that law supernatural -I accept it as such, and if that makes me unintelligent, then so be it. In the end, whether in this dimension or in another as yet not experienced, and though I will never be able to conclusively prove it, I think that law not only exacts retribution but also executes justice, perfectly. One might think that one "got away with murder," and in our courts of justice it may be true, but ultimately not so. I accept this on that often despised word "faith," or maybe the technical term a priori is in this case just as accurate. In the words* of this Enigma song, which I think are as true as any others either written or sung:

"If you understand or if you don't
if you believe or if you doubt
there's a universal justice
and the eyes of truth
are always watching you."

I consider the concept of what might loosely though not dogmatically be called karma, restated, in Biblical terms, as "... whatsoever a man soweth, that shall he also reap," a considerably more at least potentially ethical one than the so called Social Darwinism and "survival of the fittest" so expertly practiced by some of the notoriously ruthless, at root atheistic and materialistic, political regimes of especially the past century. I say that by putting litanies of institutional, "organized" religious abuses and injustices for the moment aside, though I don't disregard them altogether.

In answer to the question, then, and though I am not particularly religious even if I do find things of value in scriptures, it seems to me that there is a "law," an inescapable cosmic principle, which transcends the apparent laws of physical nature, though it could be correlated to what we call, in Physics, "action and reaction." Call that law supernatural -I accept it as such, and if that makes me unintelligent, then so be it. In the end, whether in this dimension or in another as yet not experienced, and though I will never be able to conclusively prove it, I think that law not only exacts retribution but also executes justice, perfectly. One might think that one "got away with murder," and in our courts of justice it may be true, but ultimately not so. I accept this on that often despised word "faith," or maybe the technical term a priori is in this case just as accurate. In the words* of this Enigma song, which I think are as true as any others either written or sung:

"If you understand or if you don't
if you believe or if you doubt
there's a universal justice
and the eyes of truth
are always watching you."

It, like faith, has never produced results or evidence to support itself.

I also know good people who, if karma was true, sure missed the mark.

If you have anything concrete to offer, I will be happy to hear it but know that I do not think that karma is any more of a thinking man's game than the supernatural.

Regards
DL

Serveto

Star
Karma has been around as a concept for social control forever. It is to scare children and adults should discard it for what it is. Just a part of the carrot and stick ideology.

If you have anything concrete to offer, I will be happy to hear it but know that I do not think that karma is any more of a thinking man's game than the supernatural.

Regards
DL
I made it a point to say "loosely, not dogmatically" called karma because I reject the Hindu dogma though I borrow the term and part of the concept. At any rate, I have nothing more to offer.

Karma has been around as a concept for social control forever. It is to scare children and adults should discard it for what it is. Just a part of the carrot and stick ideology.

Regards
DL
You know, if your population believes that what happens to them in this life is a result of what they’ve done in past ones, therefore deserved, they probably would be less likely to give you trouble.

I think all of the currently practiced religions are just forms of social control.

Last edited:

Serveto

Star
On second thought, I will offer an apology for introducing the term karma. I only accept that part of it which says that we ultimately reap what we sow. I don't know how that is done, necessarily, but I certainly do not endorse the caste system of India, and the logic they used to justify it, if it need be said.

You know, if your population believes that what happens to them in this life as a result of what they’ve done in past ones, therefore deserved, they probably would be less likely to give you trouble.

I think all of the currently practiced religions are just forms of social control.
You are bang on.

We have political control systems and religious control systems. Sometimes they compete and sometimes they cooperate depending on which has the greater power. The political usually has dominion over the church.

The state rules by laws and penalties and the reward of liberty when it's laws are followed.
The church's rules it's sheeple by threats and rewards.
Both system are carrot and stick which has been the way of things forever.
We live in a dualistic world and I don't see how things could be otherwise for those who administer our social control.

Faith, karma, heavenly rewards or hell are just words invented to enhance social control and manipulation.

Secular control systems have produced better laws and penalties than religions and religions just do not want to admit it and persist in their lie that secular law came from a Judeo Christian system, when those laws were plagiarized from much older and wiser religions.

Religions are now redundant and dying out.

Regards
DL