Inside The Country Where Down Syndrome Is Disappearing

Carolyn

Star
I was actually gonna comment yesterday on how much better the forum is compared to a couple of months ago, that was beyond stifling, huge difference from the occasional mention when its part of the conversation!! It really is so much better and you can actually get rational discussions without people shouting each other down with religious stuff.

But don't they have a beginning? And a span of time they have existed for?
Ultimately there is no separate self, so the question is somewhat meaningless from a greater perspective. It's not easily grasped but for a simple description you can imagine infinity itself becoming all that IS so that it may know itself. Without yourself or anyone/anything else included, infinity doesn't exist. Likewise without infinity, you do not exist.

There is also something about time that we don't really understand. Linearity is only an aspect of physical space, in other words motion and distance from point a to point b. Our various incarnations are really simultaneous. There is only one "now".

mecca

Superstar
As a Muslim that's what I believe

Aren't you a Muslim ?
Yes and I also believe what you said... I'm just saying that it's basically impossible to determine if reincarnation is real.

llleopard

Established
Yes and I also believe what you said... I'm just saying that it's basically impossible to determine if reincarnation is real.
There are many very interesting accounts of children who 'recall past lives'. They may remember name, where they lived, how they died, and many details about the past life. Makes for thought provoking reading. Most seem to occur in India or other countries that are predisposed to reincarnation, but there are some interesting cases from the USA as well.

mecca

Superstar
There are many very interesting accounts of children who 'recall past lives'. They may remember name, where they lived, how they died, and many details about the past life. Makes for thought provoking reading. Most seem to occur in India or other countries that are predisposed to reincarnation, but there are some interesting cases from the USA as well.
Yeah I have seen some videos of those stories. It's pretty weird. But maybe their parents told them to make up a story and they're just trying to get money from being on TV.

Haich

Superstar
Well people of faith believe what their faith tells them, I'm not saying that's the case with you - but Muslims believe what it says in the Quran and it does clearly state you only have one shot at life so the belief in reincarnation doesn't have weight in Islam

Fl-Fr-Fa

Established
Well, this triggered my memory to a CBC Canada miniseries (I think it was 3-part) on past lives. Here's one of the episodes:
I'd be seeing it with fresh eyes myself so to speak, it's been awhile.

SpectralIX

Rookie
Reincarnation has always been something that just made sense to me. I used to keep quiet about it because I felt like it was "crazy talk". When I finally started to feel brave enough to open up a conversation about spiritual beliefs, it was with my aunt. She told me that when I was about two, I told her about a past life. She was taking me out of the bath and it triggered a memory for me and I told her that my parents were sad that I died. She's open-minded, so she was intrigued rather than dismissive. I told her that I was a seven year old boy (I'm female this time around) and that I drown and my parents were sad. I told her my name, which she only remembered as being very long and foreign sounding and something a two year old would not make up. She didn't tell me this story until I was in my twenties and she had no reason to lie or make it up and neither did I as a two year old whose parents were strict Christians.

It just seems logical to me that consciousness is neither created (since original creation) nor destroyed. Like water, it simply changes forms.

SpectralIX

Rookie
Why is it always drowning?
lol I have no idea. I honestly can't remember now what I supposedly remembered as a toddler. Seems like there are a lot of stories of children drowning though, especially twins. Anyone else notice that?

Fl-Fr-Fa

Established
The music put to this video is from Carnie Wilson and her dad, Brian (Beach Boys):

SpectralIX

Rookie
I actually got first hand experience with this topic yesterday. I'll try to make a long story short.....I am 12 weeks pregnant and over 35, which makes me "of advanced maternal age" according to doctors. After initially seeing my ob/gyn, I received two calls to make appointments for ultrasounds. The first was routine(ish) at my local hospital and the second was at a Maternal Fetal Medicine clinic about an hour away. At the first appointment the ultrasound tech seemed very curious as to why my doctor ordered the ultrasound he did since I have no history of any health problems, high blood pressure, diabetes, no medications of any kind, etc., but it only took 15 minutes instead of the hour they told me it would take, so I took that as a good sign.

My husband and I were a little irritated about having to go to the second ultrasound (two ultrasounds two days in a row), but we made the hour drive with crying baby. When I got there, they checked me in for TWO appointments. One hour long "nuchal translucency" ultrasound (measuring fluid at the back of baby's neck to check for possible chromosomal defects), followed by a "genetic counseling" appointment. I was pissed! I never told my doctor I was concerned with my baby having Down's syndrome, nor did I suggest that I'd do anything about it if that was the diagnosis. Not to mention the fact that I didn't know that was why I was driving an hour for this appointment. I told them I wasn't interested in the second appointment, but I'd go through with the ultrasound since we made the drive anyways.

The ultrasound took forever but they finally got baby in the right position to take their measurements. After a wait, a doctor came in and first asks us, "So why did you choose to come here today?". I bluntly told her we did NOT choose to come and had no idea what the appointment actually was until we got there. She seemed taken aback, but proceeded (somewhat smugly) to tell us that it was a good thing we came because the ultrasound was "abnormal." I calmly said "ok" and let her go on. Husband chose to make it clear to her that we didn't care what the diagnosis was, it's our baby and we're having it. This time she got a little defensive and gave reasons why they would need to do further testing (which had it's own risks of inducing miscarriage) and we continued to tell her we weren't interested in further testing of any kind. She mentioned biopsying my placenta. NOT happening!

So we got kicked over to the genetic counselor anyways, who had just gotten a hold of my doctor's office and received the results of a blood test they took two weeks prior. She was showing us charts that showed that the measurements they just took on our baby's neck were at the thick end of the "normal" spectrum and thin end of "abnormal" spectrum, so basically not conclusive at all. She really wanted us to focus on this 3.7% chance of our baby having a chromosomal abnormality, but my eyes kept going to the 93% chance for healthy, normal baby. Then she tells us my blood test came back absolutely normal, indicating no sign of any genetic defects in baby. We were of course happy to hear that, but also very relieved that they were now going to leave us alone and just treat me like a normal, healthy pregnant woman.

The bizarre thing to us was how much emphasis they all were putting on this fear factor of our baby's tiny chance of being different. They all seemed very taken aback by us and our calm responses (rather than emotional reactions, which I felt like they were used to seeing). There was a strong emphasis on wanting/expecting us to feel afraid and to focus on that tiny chance that our baby might not be “normal” and healthy. In retrospect, we feel like what they really wanted was the insurance money from the biopsy, extra blood test, etc that they wanted us to buy into. My husband came away feeling like they would have pushed us to have an abortion if there were strong indications of a chromosomal defect. We both understand the power of thought, focus, and attention and feel that we were given the opportunity to buy into their fear tactics and really start to worry that something is wrong with our baby. But we don’t play those games anymore, so we held onto our knowing that our baby is perfect no matter what. Such a strange experience….

TLDR: It’s ridiculous what they have “older” pregnant women go through simply because there is a correlation between maternal age and likelihood of chromosomal defects like Down’s syndrome, all without even asking the parents if they are concerned and if they would take action to end the pregnancy if such diagnosis occurs. I just had a healthy baby last year, and I'm not even that old.

mecca

Superstar
It’s ridiculous what they have “older” pregnant women go through simply because there is a correlation between maternal age and likelihood of chromosomal defects like Down’s syndrome
The likelihood only goes up by a couple percent. It's not even as big of a deal as most people think it is.

SpectralIX

Rookie
Found this statistic, thought it was interesting:

MYTH: Most children with Down syndrome are born to older parents.

TRUTH: Most children with Down syndrome are born to women younger than 35 years old simply because younger women have more children. However, the likelihood of having a child with Down syndrome increases with the age of the mother, especially after age 35.
http://www.ndss.org/Down-Syndrome/Myths-Truths/

Red Sky at Morning

Superstar
I have a friend who is a 'magician' in the sense that he is incredible with card tricks. His stock in trade is mixing reality with slight of hand presented as reality. To the observer, this interplay is apparently impossible and truly magical.

If you have a "news" story occur, e.g. in Syria, you may be presented by two completely different news narratives, both well argued and referenced by RT and CNN, for example.

An eastern or new age interpretation would have you believe we are all part of the one, with echoes coming down through history of our past experiences and incarnations. From a Biblical perspective, one would expect rebellious spiritual beings, with intellect at the top of all our measurable scales, to be able to pull off yet more impressive deceptions than my friends card tricks.

Looking at spiritism, reincarnation, past life memories, remote viewing etc etc with an awareness that super intelligent beings (who don't 'die') it should come as no surprise if these "entities" are able to feed information from one observed generation to the next. It would also tie into the way that unwanted "gifts" like clairvoyance, run in families...

In the end, what you choose to hang onto as truth or reject as deception will shape your beliefs and your direction.