Inside The Country Where Down Syndrome Is Disappearing

Etagloc

Superstar
Are those scones?
Those are "biscuits" in the US.... in the US that's what a biscuit is.... it's not a scone... I think I've had scones and I think the difference with US "biscuits" is they are very soft and fluffy... they're actually pretty delicious- especially if you put honey or jelly inside them.... it is confusing tho lol cuz to me that's a biscuit but now I know that biscuits can also mean biscuits in the UK sense which... to me I would call those cookies... but then a specific kind because it's not, for example, chocolate chip cookie...

out here some people like to talk about "fish n chips" and they think they're fancy because usually in the US, chips are these

but if I understand correctly, "chips" in the UK are what people would call "french fries".... for a minute in the early 2000's I remember there was a movement to call them "freedom fries" lol

polymoog

Superstar
To abort a child because it may have Down's syndrome is pretty ridiculous in my opinion and the kid is lucky not to be born to such irresponsible parents. Down's syndrome kids are perfectly functioning and have just as much going for them as a regular kid.
"perfectly functioning" downs syndrome children:
99% mental impairment
90% Stunted growth, umbilical hernia
80% low muscle tone
40% congenital heart disease
60% obstructive sleep apnea
20% undescended testes, etc., etc,. not to mention male infertility, gastrointestinal problems, higher rates of cancer, high risk of hearing and vision problems, autism, seizure risks, and endocrine disorders.

by the way, testing is 96-100% accurate for downs syndrome when testing the fetal DNA.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Down_syndrome

we are not talking about aborting a fetus because he/she is right handed or has two different color eyes. these individuals have serious mental and physical impairments. these kids will never be able to father their own children and could never make any intellectual impact upon the world because they had a chromosomal screw up at conception. theyll also be riddled with health problems their entire life. you can argue that the individual could bring love into the world, but as the prospective parent, i want my cake and eat it too.

Fl-Fr-Fa

Established
I think I have come to a position on abortion though - that it is similar to euthanasia in that no-one is perfect. Everybody has some kind of disability, and could therefore be classed eventually as defective and a drain on society. The question is 'who gets to decide what is a disability. Who gets to decide what a person is worth, and to whom -to the individual,to the family, to society? '
Thank you! Everyone is challenged or is just different.

https://www.livescience.com/58373-blindness-heightened-senses.html
Reading this makes me handicapped :)

I don't think I'd be able to deal with people in mental institutions, but oh, to be an assistant for awhile. I think many of them are closer to the truth than the rest of the world.

Devine

Star
10 kids is irresponsible these days IMO back then people were living on farms creating their own food and supplies. 10 kids today and you are too much of a drain on society :)

Vixy

Star
These are not barely functioning, brain dead specimens who need machines to survive. Do you know anyone with Down's Syndrome? They're precious.
It's also a lifelong handicap, meaning they'll always be treated differently, not fit in and face incredible obstacles in life, as if it isn't hard enough. Would you knowingly put someone through all that pain if you could stop it?

Devine

Star
my view on this differs because i believe in karma. if a baby chooses to be born in an incapacitated state he may have chose that body to be relieved of karma. if you interefere and kill that baby, you take on that karma. this at least is how i look at it. people try too often to play god

mecca

Superstar
my view on this differs because i believe in karma. if a baby chooses to be born in an incapacitated state he may have chose that body to be relieved of karma. if you interefere and kill that baby, you take on that karma. this at least is how i look at it. people try too often to play god
How does a baby choose to be born?

TMT

Star
These are not barely functioning, brain dead specimens who need machines to survive. Do you know anyone with Down's Syndrome? They're precious.
I have worked with the population my entire life and your view is selfish. They are individuals like the rest of us and some are 'precious' and some are bastards, disability or not. That said while we try to make their lives as comfortable as possible it's short life full of medications and if they could truly understand the choice between non-existence and living with what they are I think most would choose non-existence.

They can't have true independence or freedom and I applaud Iceland for this.

justjess

Superstar
If a parent decides they can not handle the burden of a severely special needs child that is their choice and they should be entitled to make the best one for themselves and their family. That's a lifelong sacrifice above and beyond many people are willing or capable of making.

And please don't say adoption. The adoption roles are filled with children with special needs no one wants who just wait and wait for years but never get a family.

TMT

Star
If a parent decides they can not handle the burden of a severely special needs child that is their choice and they should be entitled to make the best one for themselves and their family. That's a lifelong sacrifice above and beyond many people are willing or capable of making.

And please don't say adoption. The adoption roles are filled with children with special needs no one wants who just wait and wait for years but never get a family.
RIght and I should have mentioned that as well, it's an enormous cost and I have seen parents and families destroyed by the burden, siblings get kind of left to themselves because all of a parent's attention is on the disabled child.

And trust me when I say the cost to take care of the DD population is ENORMOUS and their care is almost entirely tax payer paid, so it's funny to hear people say take care of it because conservatives would in theory at least be against those social programs.

Haich

Superstar
we all do. we choose our parents. IMO of course :)
Then you've totally misunderstood how God works. We are born into families by his command. For those that don't adhere to a faith they'd argue chance. How could you even possibly begin to explain a baby chose its parents?

Haich

Superstar
I've never read such a silly comment in my life.

Babies can't choose anything! They're planted in the womb of their mothers, even that's not a choice and it was a result of intercourse. When did the child choose its parents if it sprang to life in the womb? Prior to that he or she was just a sperm in dad's balls

llleopard

Established
I've never read such a silly comment in my life.

Babies can't choose anything! They're planted in the womb of their mothers, even that's not a choice and it was a result of intercourse. When did the child choose its parents if it sprang to life in the womb? Prior to that he or she was just a sperm in dad's balls
When I worked in Steiner preschool I discovered that this was their belief too. Because they believe in reincarnation, to them it made perfect sense that the old soul would choose where it would be born. They have a kind of fairy tale told at birthdays about the little 'angel ' choosing, then crossing the rainbow bridge into its mothers arms, so children learn this belief early.

Haich

Superstar
When I worked in Steiner preschool I discovered that this was their belief too. Because they believe in reincarnation, to them it made perfect sense that the old soul would choose where it would be born. They have a kind of fairy tale told at birthdays about the little 'angel ' choosing, then crossing the rainbow bridge into its mothers arms, so children learn this belief early.
I'm not sure if Devin believes in reincarnation

It's such an absurd thing to believe a child chooses where it's born...

I'm not really familiar with Steiner preschool, is if a religious type of school?

justjess

Superstar
Devin said she believes in reincarnation.

Many people who believe in reincarnation believe what she said. That the soul chooses its challenges for its next life to evolve including choosing their parents and disabilities.