Inside The Country Where Down Syndrome Is Disappearing

polymoog

Superstar
They really pressured me to take the Down's syndrome test and I just refused. I didn't care if my baby would be a little different, what gives us the right to intervene with the natural order and process that goes on when the baby is in the womb?

i support your right to have a child with downs syndrome. i should have the right to abort mine (early on, not that this is part of the discussion) due to the reasons ive already stated. you are allowing god to make the choice for you. thats fair. from my POV, i am the creator of the life, and i want this new life to be free of debilitating defects.

as long as eugenics is kept in the hands of the individual and NOT the state, there are no problems. when the state starts advocating for it, the issue has changed. the article says that the tests are optional. dont like it, dont take it.

Karlysymon

Superstar
WOW are those real? heavy. crazy how those PP videos came out, but nothing really happened. like, did anyone even get in trouble? perhaps it was just to warm us up to those ideas...
And half a billion in funding still gets funneled to them. The elite knew that the scandal would be forgotten in a minute or two...
And everyone would 'move on with their lives.'

Haich

Superstar
Yes but I want people to see my abortion=eugenics thread.... to further drive into people's minds that abortion=eugenics.... because it is lol. I don't know how it is in the UK but in the US they try extra hard to push abortion amongst minorities because it is part of a eugenics agenda.
Ok, honestly I'm not sure it's as big of an issue in the UK, ethnic minorities aren't targeted with regards to abortion. However there is an encouragement from the government via various campaigns to decrease the amount of kids people have.

Everyone would get child benefits, it used to be £20 per week to go towards the cost of milk and nappies. All classes and nationalities claimed this money and many such as my parents would put the money in a savings account so it would reach a decent some of money by the time I was 18. I used it to buy my first car, travel, university expenses etc.

The conservative government under David Cameron reduced this amount, for the first child you'll get £20 per week and the second child you'll be entitled to £12 per week. If you have more than 2 children, you will not be entitled to more money. So people with more than 2 children have no monetary help to aid them with their child expenses unless they're on social benefits (welfare).

To me this is an attempt to discourage people from having kids, they're trying to control or reduce the population by making it increasingly difficult to raise a family. Most people live on credit cards because they just can't afford the daily demands and upkeep of a family home.

Thankfully I like to think I live within my means and I only have one child so I'm not really affected but I have friends with 3 kids and they're struggling.

Because the child benefit is for everyone I don't think it's an issue of 'ethnic birth control' but maybe soon there will be campaigns in that regard.

The Asian (in the U.K. Asian usually refers to the Bengali, Indian and Pakistani not Chinese) community is pretty huge, they have large families and there was a period in the 70s and 80s where if women knew they were carrying a girl, they'd abort the pregnancy. Cultrally they prefer having boys and hospital scans would reveal the gender of the baby at the request of the parents. As a result, hospitals in some areas don't disclose the gender of the baby but it's not a widespread practice and most hospitals do at the request of the parents, tell them the gender.

So while abortion isn't encouraged, there is an attempt to lessen larger families and it seems the system is set up to cater and accommodate for small nuclear families. Housing too is now in crisis and there aren't enough affordable family homes, so private companies and foreign investors are coming together to build extortionate 'luxury' apartments which are usually for young professionals and small families...

Haich

Superstar
i support your right to have a child with downs syndrome. i should have the right to abort mine (early on, not that this is part of the discussion) due to the reasons ive already stated. you are allowing god to make the choice for you. thats fair. from my POV, i am the creator of the life, and i want this new life to be free of debilitating defects.

as long as eugenics is kept in the hands of the individual and NOT the state, there are no problems. when the state starts advocating for it, the issue has changed. the article says that the tests are optional. dont like it, dont take it.
Abortion is complex and I get there are times where it may be necessary. A woman could be ill for instance and if the baby comes to term she could die, I get that.

To abort a child because it may have Down's syndrome is pretty ridiculous in my opinion and the kid is lucky not to be born to such irresponsible parents. Down's syndrome kids are perfectly functioning and have just as much going for them as a regular kid.

Haich

Superstar
Seems like the situation in the US is pretty serious. I'll just sip my tea and dunk my biscuits in bliss, the uk has its issues but there isn't a conscious and widespread attempt to kill off people.

llleopard

Established
NZ is about to begin discussing euthanasia again - a bill is being presented after our general election in September, which has made me confront the issues of mercy vs slippery slope etc.
I think I have come to a position on abortion though - that it is similar to euthanasia in that no-one is perfect. Everybody has some kind of disability, and could therefore be classed eventually as defective and a drain on society. The question is 'who gets to decide what is a disability. Who gets to decide what a person is worth, and to whom -to the individual,to the family, to society? '
In a documentary last night about euthanasia, one of the concerns raised was that 'if it is legal, then palliative health care is very vulnerable to being reduced and cut....so then euthanasia becomes the best choice by default'.
I wonder if this could be applied to those countries who abort people with DS? That because they have lowered the amount of people needing special ed/health service - have they (presumably) reduced quality and availability of services? How does that affect women's choice - ie if they can see their child's life being more difficult through lack of support that is available in other countries.

Etagloc

Superstar
Seems like the situation in the US is pretty serious. I'll just sip my tea and dunk my biscuits in bliss, the uk has its issues but there isn't a conscious and widespread attempt to kill off people.
I am soooo confused.......

*head explodes due to being ignorant US-person*

Etagloc

Superstar
Ok, honestly I'm not sure it's as big of an issue in the UK, ethnic minorities aren't targeted with regards to abortion. However there is an encouragement from the government via various campaigns to decrease the amount of kids people have.

Everyone would get child benefits, it used to be £20 per week to go towards the cost of milk and nappies. All classes and nationalities claimed this money and many such as my parents would put the money in a savings account so it would reach a decent some of money by the time I was 18. I used it to buy my first car, travel, university expenses etc.

The conservative government under David Cameron reduced this amount, for the first child you'll get £20 per week and the second child you'll be entitled to £12 per week. If you have more than 2 children, you will not be entitled to more money. So people with more than 2 children have no monetary help to aid them with their child expenses unless they're on social benefits (welfare).

To me this is an attempt to discourage people from having kids, they're trying to control or reduce the population by making it increasingly difficult to raise a family. Most people live on credit cards because they just can't afford the daily demands and upkeep of a family home.

Thankfully I like to think I live within my means and I only have one child so I'm not really affected but I have friends with 3 kids and they're struggling.

Because the child benefit is for everyone I don't think it's an issue of 'ethnic birth control' but maybe soon there will be campaigns in that regard.

The Asian (in the U.K. Asian usually refers to the Bengali, Indian and Pakistani not Chinese) community is pretty huge, they have large families and there was a period in the 70s and 80s where if women knew they were carrying a girl, they'd abort the pregnancy. Cultrally they prefer having boys and hospital scans would reveal the gender of the baby at the request of the parents. As a result, hospitals in some areas don't disclose the gender of the baby but it's not a widespread practice and most hospitals do at the request of the parents, tell them the gender.

So while abortion isn't encouraged, there is an attempt to lessen larger families and it seems the system is set up to cater and accommodate for small nuclear families. Housing too is now in crisis and there aren't enough affordable family homes, so private companies and foreign investors are coming together to build extortionate 'luxury' apartments which are usually for young professionals and small families...
Well I'm glad abortion is not being encouraged! In the United States, I think I actually saw a statistic that more African-American babies are aborted than are actually born.... I am horrified of abortion. My family taught me that it is murder.

I think there is a world-wide push for depopulation.... I kinda wish we lived in the days where people had ten babies but I guess the various societies are being engineered to make that less and less feasible :(

I think I even read that in the Middle East people are having less babies

mecca

Superstar
I kinda wish we lived in the days where people had ten babies
Why though? Ten is a huge amount... How would all of the children get the right amount of attention, food, and personal space? Having a huge amount of kids seems like it would reduce the closeness of a family.

Etagloc

Superstar
Why though? Ten is a huge amount... How would all of the children get the right amount of attention, food, and personal space? Having a huge amount of kids seems like it would reduce the closeness of a family.
It worked fine for thousands of years

Etagloc

Superstar
Cause half the kids died off.
That's not true.... many of us had grandparents who had families that size... that was normal for a long time and the only reason it's no longer seen as normal is due to depopulationist propaganda

Haich

Superstar
Those are not biscuits! Biscuits.... if I understand correctly, these are also not biscuits!

I think these are biscuits!

If I understand correctly..... they look good, too!!!!!!!!!!

***feels fancy***
Yess those are biscuits! Cookies are popular too but you don't want to dunk those and have chocolate flakes floating in your cuppa