Insanity or Demonic Possession?

Red Sky at Morning

Superstar
Someone I know well has a good many years invested in psychological training and might interpret all mental health issues according to DSM-5.

The problem is that this taxonomic view of mental health leaves out the spiritual component. When the question “why” is asked of the actions of certain individuals, there is simply no box for “demonic possession”.

Perhaps their should be?

DUSTY

Established
My degree is in psychology (I don't have a practice, just the degree). I have the DSM IV. Even though the DSM V is 'more up to date', I think it's lacking. That being said, psychology as a whole is myopic when it comes to the spiritual. It accepts that the spiritual beliefs shape a thought process, but it doesn't account for a spirit world or other dimensions affecting the mind. Demonic possession is real, but so are mental illness' that can mimic (to some degree) possession. I don't think psychology alone could diagnose demonic possession. It would have to be a team of psychologist, psychiatrists, and spiritual leadership/gifted ... and an open mind by the medical community on the subject ... which I don't think will happen.

Dalit

Star
Someone I know well has a good many years invested in psychological training and might interpret all mental health issues according to DSM-5.

The problem is that this taxonomic view of mental health leaves out the spiritual component. When the question “why” is asked of the actions of certain individuals, there is simply no box for “demonic possession”.

Perhaps their should be?

Yet there should be room in some Christians' viewpoint for the possibility of chemical imbalances, for depression and anxiety, etc. You know this though. Some Christians want to believe it's all spiritual and not chemical at all. Yes, people can be oppressed and possessed; I've seen it and it's not pretty, it's extremely disturbing. But not every mental illness is symptomatic of demonic possession. That's living in the dark ages and we might as well get out the leeches then.

Shuna

Star

Perhaps their should be?

Another reason for his behavior is the taking of Flakka, the zombie drug. It was also during this period that this video was taken.

Yet there should be room in some Christians' viewpoint for the possibility of chemical imbalances, for depression and anxiety, etc. You know this though.
This is more true than not. A lot of the depression and chemical imbalance (IMO) is from the behavior of the parents as to their life style, Drugs taken, excessive drinking that alter the reproductive chemicals in the body and are passed on to the embryo. The other reason for demonic or depression attitudes has to do with the breaking down of a godly society by those who reign in responsible positions of authority. There is a heavy and dark cloud of sin and anti Christ atmosphere that our government has established that weighs heavy on the attitudes of the population. It is continual and without ceasing lying and calling things that we were taught that were wrong, have now become OK and common place in society, that the spirit can not accept, but are forced to accept them. This in itself can cause conflict in the conscience of man. Then, there are those that are wicked straight from the womb (Psalms 58:3) Bad company corrupts good character

elsbet

Superstar
Of course it should be taken into account... and the box for possession, seeing the unseen and overall influence is probably warranted.

SIDEBAR
Scott Peck M.D. believed it had a spiritual nature. He was a psychiatrist and author whose work and life seemed to be dedicated to understanding these truths.

Further Along the Road Less Traveled and People of the Lie are two books that center on this... the latter, specifically on the Problem of Evil, as he put it. The former is a personal favorite-- his perspective of God's pursuit of us is pretty amazing. :)

Vytas

Star
People should hear what insane people talk. Like in extremes cases of shizofrenia. Just terrible and often with perfect meaning. Just nasty stuff. There is a mind behind those words. Only that mind is sick and perverted. I often asked patients about their life stories. Because I knew if it's not family related it means something happened. You wouldnt believe things I learned, child abuse very common, drugs, r*pe, there is always something drastic. Some stuff I won't even mention too hard to believe anyways...

Vixy

Star
I believe in demonic posession. I've seen to much hardship in life not to. Demonic activity is REAL and so spread and common, you wouldnt believe it.

This is NO joke. These things are more real than you and me and are highly intelligent, way WAY above our intelligence!

Vytas

Star
This is NO joke. These things are more real than you and me and are highly intelligent, way WAY above our intelligence!
That part about intelligence is what people underrstimate. As I learn through life their different tactics, they are scary intelligent. And they don't rush, they will get what they want gradually, slowly. Same with insanity, nobody gets insane in one day its a process...
And shout out for Dereck Prince.

elsbet

Superstar
People should hear what insane people talk. Like in extremes cases of shizofrenia. Just terrible and often with perfect meaning. Just nasty stuff. There is a mind behind those words. Only that mind is sick and perverted. I often asked patients about their life stories. Because I knew if it's not family related it means something happened. You wouldnt believe things I learned, child abuse very common, drugs, r*pe, there is always something drastic. Some stuff I won't even mention too hard to believe anyways...
I believe it. I've heard the same from more than one source, and it always leads back to something terrible. Mike Smith (previously, a psychiatrist) has a lot to say on this subject. He has a channel on youtube where he puts his 'classes'-- he insists it is not a church :) He really is teaching! Some of the most interesting information I've heard, from a spiritual perspective. He, like you, has firsthand experience and it is mindblowing imo. You familiar with him? If not, I'll send a link. Of course. :p

Vytas

Star
I believe it. I've heard the same from more than one source, and it always leads back to something terrible. Mike Smith (previously, a psychiatrist) has a lot to say on this subject. He has a channel on youtube where he puts his 'classes'-- he insists it is not a church :) He really is teaching! Some of the most interesting information I've heard, from a spiritual perspective. He, like you, has firsthand experience and it is mindblowing imo. You familiar with him? If not, I'll send a link. Of course. :p
I know only brother mike from hardcore Christianity channel. Is it the same person ? Although he was family counsellor before starting a ministry, and I dont know his background, but psychology sounds like a good guess. He was fed up with failling to help people and started a ministry, now he helps people very effectively. His ministry grows and they do full stuff, healing deliverance, preaching, going on all cylinders...Egocentric, emotional, entertaining, speak greak so often gives additional insights due to his better understanding about what was said... Same:? :) I will try to Google it, but that's a very generic name, without link I will probably learn more about..matrix.

Vytas

Star
@Vixy how does your research about poisoning as main cause of mental diseases ended ? Satisfied by proofs you found?
I still think there must be spiritual causes for spiritual problems...

elsbet

Superstar
I know only brother mike from hardcore Christianity channel. Is it the same person ? Although he was family counsellor before starting a ministry, and I dont know his background, but psychology sounds like a good guess. He was fed up with failling to help people and started a ministry, now he helps people very effectively. His ministry grows and they do full stuff, healing deliverance, preaching, going on all cylinders...Egocentric, emotional, entertaining, speak greak so often gives additional insights due to his better understanding about what was said... Same:? :) I will try to Google it, but that's a very generic name, without link I will probably learn more about..matrix.
I think that may be him, Vytas... he starts a lot of his classes with an explanation of PNEUMA and an illustration of (I think) the frontal lobe. :)

Pretty sure he was a psychiatrist-- will double check that, though.

elsbet

Superstar
@Vytas

That master's degree threw me... not a psychiatrist. House of Healing must be a secondary name. But yeah, same guy.