Ignoring Homeless People = Sin?

Mr. Blah

Veteran
I came home from work in this evening and I saw homeless people sleeping in the pavement.
I just looked at them at a moment and then I went away.

Did I sin for ignoring and not help them or not?
Did I break the Jesus' commandment to love your neighbors as yourself?

Aero

Superstar
Well the average Christian will probably call you a fool for giving money to those poor scumbags who just need to tough it up. But it's technically a sin.

Mr. Blah

Veteran
Well the average Christian will probably call you a fool for giving money to those poor scumbags who just need to tough it up. But it's technically a sin.
Agree.
I sinned.

Jesus advised His disciples to help the poor and the needy.
Donate some penny to them or maybe, call the Social Department to take care of them. :D

Aero

Superstar
The most vocal Christians don't seem to actually subscribe to the whole love thy neighbor, don't throw stones, feed the hungry stuff. You know the stuff Jesus really said. Christians are throwing the most stones, trying to tell everyone else we are wrong.

But if they were so right they wouldn't need to try to convince us all the time. So I feel like they are just hiding their own doubts.

Damien50

Star
I came home from work in this evening and I saw homeless people sleeping in the pavement.
I just looked at them at a moment and then I went away.

Did I sin for ignoring and not help them or not?
Did I break the Jesus' commandment to love your neighbors as yourself?
The real question is

How do I distinguish pan handlers on corners by highways from actual people in need?

Violette

Star
I always offer them food or whatever I have that I think is helpful. I don't give them money though because some of them make bank just from begging.

Mr. Blah

Veteran
The most vocal Christians don't seem to actually subscribe to the whole love thy neighbor, don't throw stones, feed the hungry stuff. You know the stuff Jesus really said. Christians are throwing the most stones, trying to tell everyone else we are wrong.

But if they were so right they wouldn't need to try to convince us all the time. So I feel like they are just hiding their own doubts.
Majority of them would forget the sermon after the service is over.

Aero

Superstar
I don't think God cares if you get swindled by a hustler. As long as you give up some of your stuff to someone else, and do so strictly as a kind gesture you are cool. Yeah it's frustrating, but it's not your job to save their whole life. It's an act of your faith, and that's it.

The Zone

Star
Aero you constantly play both sides of the fence and at times make outrageous accusations by generalizing. Your deception is easy to spot. You have no idea what the heck you are talking about here but chatter away. Christians constantly give to the needy and are suckered many times with homeless who are sometimes addicts. They choose vice over shelter. Some pan handlers even go to their cars for it was a charade. I have had some hit me up in a fast food joint, offer to buy them food, but most want money even after saying they are hungry. This question posed by Blah, unusual questions as always, has nothing to do with Christianity. If you are a non Christian why the heck are you worried about sin. God wants Christians to be wise in all things including how they distribute money for charity. He allows one common sense through Spirit to know where it is deserved and howl the donation will be best served.

Last edited:

Aero

Superstar
I call it like I see it. If I'm outrageous than that is the environment I'm in. You all constantly throw stones at each other, but I'm supposed to believe your good Christians because generalizing is wrong?

Start loving each other and I wont play both sides.

The Zone

Star
I call it like I see it. If I'm outrageous than that is the environment I'm in. You all constantly throw stones at each other, but I'm supposed to believe your good Christians because generalizing is wrong?

Start loving each other and I wont play both sides.
Cop out. Non believers throw stones at each other as do religions. Everybody does it and it is not limited to any sect of people. It is a people thing. You speak of a personal environment so you cannot possibly be an expert on all things. Opinions, yes, but expert, heck no. When you use ''You all,'' it speaks volumes to an underlying issue. How would that comment work from a white man to a black man...etc.

As for being a good Christian, well, nobody is trying to convince you of that. You though, are trying to make all of them act like you feel they should in your mind.

You then all but admit to playing all sides of the fence which is the point, in that you are in a sense baiting and on top of the divide. I mean, dude, you claimed to be a cult leader, etc...so I dunno. If you are going to make accusations and generalizations people will engage you in conversation. An an old redneck once told me - ''Those lumping will be lumped.''

Last edited:

floss

Star
Jesus would've rebuke that homeless person who are capable of working but choose not to because they just want to sit on their lazy ass and beg for alcohol money. If the Mexicans willing to wait at a gas station to make a few buck, then why should I give this lazy homeless person any of my money? (not that I never did), I usually give to the cripples or anyone that deemed incapable of works. But nowadays you see guys in their 30s begging for money, Jesus would rebuke their lazy ass and yank them to the work camp for sure. You're destroying a person if you keep giving them free stuff!

btw, MrBlah your indirect attacks against Christians and Jesus are getting rather obvious.

The Zone

Star
I dunno Floss. I think some homeless people have circumstances and are in straight up hardship. I have seen people come out of being homeless and make a mark in life. But the ones who attack Christianity who are not Muslim do so in very sneaky and snake like movements. They have an agenda and think they are being stealth while chewing up the ignorant.

Aero

Superstar
Cop out. Non believers throw stones at each other as do religions. Everybody does it and it is not limited to any sect of people. It is a people thing. You speak of a personal environment so you cannot possibly be an expert on all things. Opinions, yes, but expert, heck no. When you use ''You all,'' it speaks volumes to an underlying issue. How would that comment work from a white man to a black man...etc. BTW, it is you're, not your.

As for being a good Christian, well, nobody is trying to convince you of that. You though, are trying to make all of them act like you feel they should in your mind.

You then all but admit to playing all sides of the fence which is the point, in that you are in a sense baiting and on top of the divide. I mean, dude, you claimed to be a cult leader, etc...so I dunno. If you are going to make accusations and generalizations people will engage you in conversation. On an old rednect once told me - ''Those lumping will be lumped.''
Well I am definitely not any better. So I think I see your point and where my rhetoric took a wrong turn. All I'm really trying to say is, the messages I received from Church is far different than what I see among the communities. And I'm totally fine with that, but don't use your religion as a shield if it's been battered and bruised from overuse

Lisa

Superstar
I always offer them food or whatever I have that I think is helpful. I don't give them money though because some of them make bank just from begging.
I was reading an article yesterday that some men confronted a woman who was begging on the street and she was throwing water bottles at people in their cars. When she was done...she walked across the street to the McDonald's and was getting into her new car. So they went and asked her why she begged when she owns a new car and she went to the McDonald's drive thru looking for help from those employees because she said the men were harrassing her....

floss

Star
I dunno Floss. I think some homeless people have circumstances and are in straight up hardship. I have seen people come out of being homeless and make a mark in life. But the ones who attack Christianity who are not Muslim do so in very sneaky and snake like movements. They have an agenda and think they are being stealth while chewing up the ignorant.
I agreed but it's very rare. I can understand if they've exhausted all their capacities which I highly doubt. I don't see any homeless person waiting at the gas station like the Mexicans. How hard is it to make $50-100 a day here in the US. Not hard at all but they choose to beg because it's effortless. The other day I was about to give this cripples man some money until he pulled out a cigg. We gotta teach a man how to fish.

The Zone

Star
Dude, it is no shield and yet is a shield. Where I am spiritually is a confident but not an uptight place. I never leaned on Christian beliefs in this discussion but defended it from falsehoods or lumping it. A Muslim would rightfully do the same. It does not change the fact that some slither about and straddle deception at times who should simply stay in their lane. In a sense Christians and Muslims are on the same page against demons a djin.

Last edited:

Aero

Superstar
Dude, it is no shield and yet is a shield. Where I am spiritually is a confident but not uptight place. I never leaned on Christian beliefs in this discussion but defended it from falsehoods or lumping it. A Muslim would rightfully do the same. It does not change the fact that some slither about and straddle deception at times who should simply stay in their lane. In a sense Christians and Muslims are on the same page against demons a djin.
Yes I like that notion. Spiritually confident but not uptight.

And I'm sorry if my beliefs are ever evolving. But I'm pretty sure that isn't a requirement to post about them. Maybe I'll start using a disclaimer? I don't think it matters that much, because I'm not trying to deceive. If anyone can't tell I'm not sure about what's what, that's their own fault.

Violette

Star
I was reading an article yesterday that some men confronted a woman who was begging on the street and she was throwing water bottles at people in their cars. When she was done...she walked across the street to the McDonald's and was getting into her new car. So they went and asked her why she begged when she owns a new car and she went to the McDonald's drive thru looking for help from those employees because she said the men were harrassing her....
Weird... I worked in a really nice shopping district that was full of panhandlers. One of my friends had a conversation with one of the men and he said he doesn't leave until he makes at least $100 a day! Another guy wears a nasal tube that isn't even hooked onto anything.... there's too many resources where I live for me to believe that's the only way they can get an income. I've seen the same guys for years. If anyone needs help it's single women with children which I never see out begging. It's a lot harder for them to get into homeless shelters