If Sin Keeps God From Giving What We Ask In Prayer, So We Won't Receive What We Ask Forever.

Mr. Blah

Veteran
If sin keeps God from giving what we ask in prayer, so we won't receive what we ask forever.
Why? Because we are going to sin continuously until we die!

How many times should we ask God to forgive us? Every hour? Every minutes? Every seconds?
If so, we couldn't focus to our daily work at all.

JoChris

Superstar
Are you referring to this verse? Whole passage https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=James+4&version=KJV

James 4:3 Ye ask, and you receive not, because you ask amiss, that ye may consume it upon your lusts.

There are quite a few passages relating to prayer, God's will and whose/ which prayers God will be answered.

Can you give the actual verse and link to passage you're thinking of please?

Sins are not a barrier to not receiving what we ask for because Matthew 7:7 says:

Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you.

When you have asked, you should consider that it has already been given to you, that is, if you truly have faith in the words of the Bible.

That's what faith and certitude is. The Bible says to ask so that it will be given to you. Just because you haven't been given it yet (according to you) doesn't mean that your prayer has not been answered. It may be that you have received it but cannot yet see it. There's no reason to doubt in the words of your Bible just because of your opinion that you haven't received whatever you have asked God for.

Lastly, The Holy Prophet (On him be Prayers and Peace) used to ask God Almighty for forgiveness at least 70 times a day. We should find a specific time to ask God daily for forgiveness. Discipline is key. That's why Muslims have to pray five times a day at regular intervals. Human beings are weak and forgetful. Through establishing a habit, we learn to be more conscious of God, disciplined, and have more control.

Karlysymon

Superstar
I think @Mr. Blah is basing his point on this

Isaiah 59:1-2
Surely the arm of the LORD is not too short to save, nor his ear too dull to hear.
But your iniquities have separated you from your God; your sins have hidden
his face from you, so that He will not hear."

OR

Proverbs 28:9
He who turns a deaf ear to the law, even his prayers are detestable.

Willful sinning or consciously persisting in rebellion does create a create a separation between us and God. The problem is, if as long-suffering as He is, God maintained His silence and didn't act, there would be no incentive for us to turn from our evil ways. As Solomon wrote:
When the sentence for a crime isn't quickly carried out, the hearts of the people are filled with schemes to do wrong. (Ecclesiastes 8:11)

Ofcourse we are sinners and God always hears our prayers but i believe the above to apply to pre-meditated, perpetual rebellion.

Pomegranate

Rookie
I think as being religious. One has to be conscious of God.

It's true, either knowingly or unknowingly, willfully or unwittingly, one commits sins every day. But if one is conscious of their maker, then praying/asking for forgiveness becomes second nature. I don't know how religious you are Mr. Blah, but you could pray once in the morning and once before you go to bed. Another idea is to simply say, "May God forgive me", or "God forbid". I believe intention can go a long way.

Asking God for certain things is good, and we should ask for blessings, as long as we're trying our best on our end too. But remember this life ends shortly, and in the afterlife, existence is eternal. We can pray for all the blessings of this world. But do not forget to ask for the blessings of the next.

I don't believe God intends to make hardships for us. And yet, hardships are good for the soul because they humble us. Hardships make us grateful for what we do have. Look at the stories of the prophets. Those that suffered and persevered in the cause of God, were indeed those closest to him.

Todd

Star
I'm tired of hearing this defeatist Christian attitude that we are still sinners. God says the prayers of the righteous avail much. If you are in Christ you are no longer a sinner, but you are clothed with the righteousness of Christ himself. Yet we continue to emphasis that we are all "just sinners saved by grace". No wonder the Church in general is weak and ineffective. We don't acknowlege and walk in the fact that we are clothed with the rightousness of Christ. This is why our prayers are not answered. How can we have faith to move a mountain if we can't even grasp the reality of our righteosuness in Christ?

I might fall now and then, but I have experienced walking in the spirit/walking in the righteousness of Christ. It is possible to walk and not sin. I have also noticed that my prayers are answered when I am walking in the rightouesness of Christ. Of course when I am being lead by the spirit, I am surrendering and laying down my own wants and needs so my prayers are usually quite different than when i am walking in my flesh.

Camidria

Veteran
It's all about balance really, whilst growing in the awareness of your sinful nature, and growing in the knowledge of God's holiness and realising His unending grace for us we can stay humble but also walked clothed in His righteousness without becoming bloated. We can walk tall and live out what He teaches us in the Word. As we realise we need Him in everything He sanctifies us more and more, and through this we will start praying for God's will in our lives, and prayers that are in His will, will be answered always.