Human Head Transplant??

manama

Star
So, apparently in december there is going to be a human head transplant
100+ doctors and nurses will be involved and the price is said to be over 11 million for the operation.

What is your opinion on it?
Will it actually work?
Is it morally correct?
And do you think this will bring a better life for terminally ill patients or actually further ruin the society?

tbh i can see the theories coming just like cloning

Aero

Superstar
I'm reminded of the total face transplant that went down recently. They brought the guy back from the dead basically. His life was miserable with the bashed in face he had.

And also I have no problem with Clones, Cyborgs or Robots.

TMT

Star
I'm reminded of the total face transplant that went down recently. They brought the guy back from the dead basically. His life was miserable with the bashed in face he had.

And also I have no problem with Clones, Cyborgs or Robots.
Reminds me of the famous two headed dog from Russia.

If this procedure works there's nothing inherently immoral about it, hell if they can keep the brain alive independent from the body we could maybe live for ever.

Aero

Superstar
Reminds me of the famous two headed dog from Russia.

If this procedure works there's nothing inherently immoral about it, hell if they can keep the brain alive independent from the body we could maybe live for ever.
I think the laws of thermodynamics are pretty sound though. Life is really just about energy, and the maximum amount of energy available is always decreasing, or at least not rising. The stars are prime examples. If they could find other elements to continue to fuse together, they would. And they would burn forever.

The biggest stars turn into dense chunks of metal basically. So we would have to go the way of the robot clearly.

manama

Star
I think the laws of thermodynamics are pretty sound though. Life is really just about energy, and the maximum amount of energy available is always decreasing, or at least not rising. The stars are prime examples. If they could find other elements to continue to fuse together, they would. And they would burn forever.

The biggest stars turn into dense chunks of metal basically. So we would have to go the way of the robot clearly.
stars dont lapse because they ran out of energy or enough particles to continue the fusion. It ends up breaking down or whatever is the term, because of its own weight and they dont turn into a metal chunk lol
Energy doesnt decrease, it just gets converted into another form

but tbh almost every movie or literature or theory out there shows how a technology ruled world can become toxic
idk why people are still trying to reach that very path

Aero

Superstar
stars dont lapse because they ran out of energy or enough particles to continue the fusion. It ends up breaking down or whatever is the term, because of its own weight and they dont turn into a metal chunk lol
Energy doesnt decrease, it just gets converted into another form

but tbh almost every movie or literature or theory out there shows how a technology ruled world can become toxic
idk why people are still trying to reach that very path
Yes energy gets dispersed or transferred. I was referring to Entropy. Which is a different type of measurement. I should of been more technical with that one. Entropy isn't the easiest concept to understand.

And look up neutron stars. Their crust is like steel on crack. A small block of neutron star matter will probably crush the Earth. Pretty sure they just sit there and spin forever. Unless another neutron star smashes into it.

manama

Star
Yes energy gets dispersed or transferred. I was referring to Entropy. Which is a different type of measurement. I should of been more technical with that one. Entropy isn't the easiest concept to understand.

And look up neutron stars. Their crust is like steel on crack. A small block of neutron star matter will probably crush the Earth. Pretty sure they just sit there and spin forever. Unless another neutron star smashes into it.
just got reminded of why i try to run away from physics in class

Carolyn

Star
Well my whole body is screwed so something like that could be a whole new lease of life for me but its really icky to me am somebody who is a bit OCD which has got a bit worse tbh I wouldnt wear somebody elses clothes no matter how many times they had been washed so somebody elses body, out of the question lol unless they could grow a brand new ones.

Speaking of transplants though, anybody ever heard of a stool transplant lol serious its supposed to be amazing for people with serious digestive failure that very slowly kills you, you can even do them yourself so you dont need an expensive operation or a surgeon.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fecal_microbiota_transplant

Aero

Superstar
just got reminded of why i try to run away from physics in class
Right how does it all make sense. And you're right it's gravity that destroys stars, but it's gravity that made them too.

It's like I said though. Stars fusing elements together is the "defense" against gravity. Stars can't fuse Iron and that's why they lose the battle. Except in those rare cases something super dense is left over.

Lisa

Superstar
I don't think it will work...but I don't have any science behind that. I just think that its not just the mind you have to implant, its the soul too and I don't believe that could be done.

Aero

Superstar
I can see how these sorts of things would be super weird for some people. I tend to view death as just another part of life.

For me it's mainly about benefiting the human species. I don't need to live forever. I just want a computer in my brain, and I want to be super strong.

Reactions: TMT

mecca

Superstar
So, apparently in december there is going to be a human head transplant
100+ doctors and nurses will be involved and the price is said to be over 11 million for the operation.

What is your opinion on it?
Will it actually work?
Is it morally correct?
And do you think this will bring a better life for terminally ill patients or actually further ruin the society?

tbh i can see the theories coming just like cloning
How is that even possible? They transplant the brain as well? I don't think it'll work but I don't necessarily think it's amoral. It's just weird.

Lurker

Star
I had read years ago that they already had the technology to transplant a head, it was just the paralysis that they couldn't get past. If they have gotten past that, it would be a huge breakthrough for spinal injuries.

bbsion

Established
I don't think it will work...but I don't have any science behind that. I just think that its not just the mind you have to implant, its the soul too and I don't believe that could be done.
I do not believe it will work as well. Say you could view a living person laying on a table and you could also see their spirit. If you remove their physical head then you would still see their spirit head. But they would be dead. I believe their spirit would exit the body. I do not believe an individual that has had a body on this earth and has passed on is able to possess another body.

The spirit is what gives our body life and it is specific to the body we were given when we entered this world. It feels like the science behind this procedure is expecting it to work because they do not believe in spiritual bodies. I don't know how else you would expect this to work.

Just my opinion.

mecca

Superstar
I do not believe it will work as well. Say you could view a living person laying on a table and you could also see their spirit. If you remove their physical head then you would still see their spirit head. But they would be dead. I believe their spirit would exit the body. I do not believe an individual that has had a body on this earth and has passed on is able to possess another body.

The spirit is what gives our body life and it is specific to the body we were given when we entered this world. It feels like the science behind this procedure is expecting it to work because they do not believe in spiritual bodies. I don't know how else you would expect this to work.

Just my opinion.
What about when people got other things transplanted like hearts?

bbsion

Established
What about when people got other things transplanted like hearts?
I've thought about that. Though I do not have THE answer. I have an opinion. I believe that the only reason a heart transplant works sometimes is because it's an organ. That organ pumps blood. If they remove the heart and attach another quick enough then the body can stay alive. The body still has blood in it, everything was still technically working together, and the body was still intact.

This procedure would disconnect the the head from the body, they let the body die, then move the head onto another dead body.

Carolyn

Star
The thing I wonder about with this is not if its even possible but lets just say it is and it works, have heard stories of people who had heart transplants who seemed to have ended up liking things that the person the heart came from did etc if that kind of thing could happen with a heart transplant how much more could this effect be if a head transplant was possible and in a way its hard to guage who is getting the transplant here, is it the head thats getting a body transplant or is it the body getting a head transplant, how much of a transplant would it take for you not to be you anymore!?? People can change in such drastic ways after some kinds of operations, their personality and whatnot, its kinda weird to think how something like that would change a person, how would that feel, think it would feel kinda horrible tbh.

manama

Star
The thing I wonder about with this is not if its even possible but lets just say it is and it works, have heard stories of people who had heart transplants who seemed to have ended up liking things that the person the heart came from did etc if that kind of thing could happen with a heart transplant how much more could this effect be if a head transplant was possible and in a way its hard to guage who is getting the transplant here, is it the head thats getting a body transplant or is it the body getting a head transplant, how much of a transplant would it take for you not to be you anymore!?? People can change in such drastic ways after some kinds of operations, their personality and whatnot, its kinda weird to think how something like that would change a person, how would that feel, think it would feel kinda horrible tbh.

Mr.Grieves

Veteran
It's been done in the past with monkeys. There's a guy claiming to have done it again recently, I'm not sure how legit that is and its blotting out my efforts to search down the original dude and his videos, but he managed to get a transplanted monkey head to survive several days on a new body, it capable of eating/drinking even, but it was of course entirely paralyzed, as he couldn't get the spinal column/nerve stem stitched back together.
If they've found a way past that hurdle, then damn, that's crazy.
My curiosity to see if they can do it successfully is probably outweighed by my concern that they WILL do it successfully however, as the last thing we need is a way for the super-rich to body-swap when their time comes.