How to become a Christian?

Surley

Established
Hi i have the NIV bible,
I read the OT and it seemed off is the only.way i can describe it and stopped reading
I have since heard that most christians dont really.go with the OT and more NT is more in line with it
I cant put it anymore bluntly than that i desperatly want to believe and have my mind settled but my brain just wont allow it
All i can see is flaws and the reason why the bible was created
Is there any verses you could direct me to that might open my eyes
Or any experiences of a time where everything just clicked and you believed
Hello, Just wanted to say how it happened for me. There came a time that i came to a place in my life where i finally knew i was at the end of my rope. Either God was real or He wasn't I wanted to know for sure. Praying outloud to the space in front of me i just cryed out loudly that I needed Him. I needed to know He was real and loved me. I was brought up in a house hold where there were bibles but no reading or going to church or prayer. yet I always felt drawn in a strange way to This Unique Book from before i could read. So even before 1st grade. The Words in red grabbed my attention. So As an adult with much sorrow and stress in my life from bad life decisions. I would frequently go to the scriptures and read grabbing for something anything and mostly felt empty not finding what i was craving. After heartfelt crying out to God, Day by day I would see evidence of His love. In Very specific ways. touching my heart as only the one who made me could because only that ONE could Know that specific thing. He is Very Personal. He began to speak to me through the bible, to the situation I was in. I would suggest the Psalms, The Gospel of John and all the New Testament Letters. If Your Pray humbly and fervently HE WILL MEET YOU. He is waiting for you And a Verse would be Hebrews 11:6 Without faith it is impossible to please God: For he that comes to God must believe that He is, and That HE is a REWARDER of them who DILIGENTLY seek Him

phipps

Star
Hi i have the NIV bible,
I read the OT and it seemed off is the only.way i can describe it and stopped reading
I have since heard that most christians dont really.go with the OT and more NT is more in line with it
I cant put it anymore bluntly than that i desperatly want to believe and have my mind settled but my brain just wont allow it
The Old Testament can be confusing. When I was a young Christian I didn't understand many things especially God's punishments. I found them to be so harsh. However as I studied the Bible more and became more grounded in my faith I started to understand it more. I will never fully understand many of God's choices but I know I trust Him completely and He always makes the right choice and there is always a perfectly good reason whether I know it or not. God is a God of love, grace, mercy and justice in both Testaments.

One thing I do know is the Old Testament is as important as the New Testament. We cannot have one without the other. The New Testament is the completion of the Old Testament. We are told in 2 Timothy 3:16, "All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness." Jesus and the apostles quoted the Old testament because the New Testament didn't exist then.

In the Old Testament we have prophecies about Christ (His birth, life and death), we have end time prophecy, there is the sanctuary and temple system that helps us understand Christ's ministry, life and sacrifice for us. It helps us understand the heavenly temple. We see God's mercy, love and justice at work through God's dealings with the Israelites/Jews.

When it comes to the Bible you need to pray before studying it but things don't just click all at once. It takes time to understand certain subjects. I can tell you it took me years to understand certain subjects and I still don't understand some of them. God reveals His precious truths to us through the Holy Spirit as He sees fit. It also depends on how much we want to know. As I posted above we need to spend time in prayer and study everyday. We must always have a connection to God. Believe and obey Him and He will impart His truths to you gradually.

As a kid we read the book of proverbs because it had lessons that were easier to understand.

I don't know if this is helpful at all.

Last edited:

Tidal

Star
How to become a Christian?

The first step is to simply LIKE Jesus and you'll be at least halfway to the pearlies.
In fact there's nothing about him NOT to like..:)

Tidal

Star
..those who fall in to bad and unpleasant situations like prostitutes, drug addicts, alcoholics, etc. Jesus Christ was a man who truly loved and accepted ALL living human beings.. :)

Right, here he is rescuing a naughty girl from the mob who wanted to throw stones at her..:)-

Tidal

Star
Is there any verses you could direct me to that might open my eyes...

The OT is interesting, but if God had wanted us to stick with it, he wouldn't have sent Jesus to give us the New T..:)
Jesus can be found in any small slimline gospel like this one below for only a few pence from bookshops or free from most Chistian groups and can be read in just a couple of days.
If people can't find him in there, they'll probably never find him even if they read the rest of the bible til the cows come home..:)

Paul had to remind people-"I'm worried lest you be led astray from the simplicity of Christ" (2 Cor 11:3)
Jesus said-"You have one teacher, me" (Matt 23:10)
"And the common people heard him gladly" (Mark 12:37)

phipps

Star
Receiving the Holy Spirit.

Baptism of the Holy Spirit.

The Holy Spirit works in different degrees. The Bible says the Spirit brings conviction of salvation. The Spirit guides us in decisions. So its the Holy Spirit that leads us to God in the first place. It convicts us, leads us to believe and love God. It leads us to confess repent and be baptised.

We are also promised the Holy Spirit when we believe and are baptised. It is conditional to repentance and obedience. When we are baptised, we enter into a covenant relationship with God. The promises He made to His people become applicable to us. One of those promises is the gift of the Holy Spirit.

Jesus—who Himself had the Holy Spirit descend on Him upon baptism (Matthew 3:16-17, Mark 1:4-12)—promised that we would receive the Holy Spirit to comfort and to guide us:

“If you love Me, keep My commandments. And I will pray the Father, and He will give you another Helper, that He may abide with you forever— the Spirit of truth, whom the world cannot receive, because it neither sees Him nor knows Him; but you know Him, for He dwells with you and will be in you" (John 14:15-17).

And Peter, after receiving the Holy Spirit himself, reminded the people of God’s promise:

"Repent, and let every one of you be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins; and you shall receive the gift of the Holy Spirit. For the promise is to you and to your children, and to all who are afar off, as many as the Lord our God will call" (Acts 2:38-39).

phipps

Star
Spiritual Gifts

Spiritual gifts are talents or interests given to a Christian by the Holy Spirit after they join the fellowship of believers or upon baptism. Just as when Jesus was baptised: by John, and the Spirit of God descended upon Him in the form of a dove, so anyone who is baptized by water is to also to receive the Spirit, for only with the presence of the Holy Spirit in a person’s life are they able to walk the Christian life.

Christianity is not about our own works, but God “willing and doing” within us His good pleasure.

Spiritual gifts received upon baptism may be specialities that are already built on talents previously developed, or they may even be tendencies only discovered after an individual has given their life to Christ and is walking with Him. One of the most important testimonies of Christianity is what it does to its adherents. Testimony after testimony exists of lives changed for the better as a result of faith in God and an acceptance of His forgiveness and a new life in Christ.

Baptism is just the beginning. From then on, we are to walk in newness of life day by day with God and practising a life of submission to God’s will. Sometimes that is easier said than done. On the day we are baptised, we do not usually miraculously suddenly become a different person with different tastes or interests. Anytime we want to, we could walk back to the way we were, and take up our old interests and our old habits.

Six things you should know about Spiritual Gifts.

1. Every Christian has been given at least one spiritual gift.
The Bible says, “As each one has received a gift, minister it to one another, as good stewards of the manifold grace of God” (1 Peter 4:10). If you have given your life to Jesus, you are promised special abilities to help spread the gospel. Finding and using your talents is a responsibility outlined in Jesus’ parable of the talents in Matthew 25:14-30.

2. Gifts are intended to build up the body of Christ.
The purpose of your unique talents are to strengthen God’s church. The apostle Paul taught about gifts in his letter to the church in 1 Corinthians 12. He says, “But the manifestation of the Spirit is given to each one for the profit of all” (verse 7). Everyone benefits when you properly use your gifts. While you may use them in the marketplace, you cannot neglect them in the church.

3. We do not choose our gifts.
While we certainly should desire and pray for expanded abilities, the Holy Spirit gives us our gifts. We cannot simply purchase them online. Notice, “For to one is given the word of wisdom through the Spirit, to another the word of knowledge through the same Spirit” (verse 8). The Holy Spirit distributes gifts, not the pastor or a committee.

4. It dishonours God when you deny your gift.
When comparing the church to a human body, he explains, “If the foot should say, ‘Because I am not a hand, I am not of the body,’ is it therefore not of the body?” (verse 15). The answer is, of course it’s still part of the body! It’s one thing to be humble about your gifts; it’s another to reject your gifts from God.

5. It dishonours God when you exalt your gift.
Paul also warns, “The eye cannot say to the hand, ‘I have no need of you’” (verse 21). He explains, “No, much rather, those members of the body which seem to be weaker are necessary” (verse 22). The fact a body is made up of many different parts is what makes it a body. So if you feel you cannot stand up and preach a sermon, you are still gifted and God has a special place for you somewhere.

6. Gifts are useless if they are not used in love.
One of the most sobering statements made about spiritual gifts is found in 1 Corinthians 13, the love chapter. While we hear these verses often spoken at weddings, they really focus on people’s gifts. Basically, Paul says, if you use your gifts without love, they have no value. They only make a bunch of useless noise (verse 1).

You can find lists of gifts in three major passages of the Bible (Romans 12, 1 Corinthians 12, Ephesians 4, and 1 Peter 4). There are hints in other places in Scripture as well.

If a Christian is not sure what their spiritual gifts are, they should pray, study, and ask God to reveal to them the special gifts He has placed within their life. Then use them to build up God’s kingdom!

phipps

Star
Service

God saves us so that we can serve Him by serving others. When you join a church family, ask the Holy Spirit to guide you into fulfilling God’s purpose for you. Look for ways to reach out to others, meet their needs, and point them to the love of Christ. Share your testimony with family and friends and make yourself available to be used by God on a daily basis. Many Christians get involved in evangelism by going on mission trips, being digital disciples, canvassing, and getting involved in various ministries that aim to share the love of Christ and His truth.

Red Sky at Morning

Superstar
There are many definitions out there on “ow to become a Christian”. Sometimes it can sound very complicated, but really it starts at the foot of the cross, and from there the real journey begins with Jesus.

A Freeman

Superstar
Hi i have the NIV bible,
I cant put it anymore bluntly than that i want to believe and have my mind settled but my brain just wont allow it
Good Sabbath day and good wishes @Funnygirl1. Thank-you for what you've shared.

The most important aspect of reading the Bible is to completely clear your mind of ALL preconceived notions and religious superstitions, and then ask Father (God) for His help in understanding what you're reading.

The most important words in the Bible are found in John 3:3-13, where Christ (the spirit-Being/Soul) said through the mouth of Jesus (the human son of Mary) that one MUST be reborn as their true spiritual self to be able to "see" the Kingdom of heaven, much less be able to enter it. The Bible wasn't written for humans who, according to Christ, can never understand it; it was written for spiritual-Beings (Souls - the "Being" part of a human+Being) who have the capacity to see beyond this worldly construct and temporary human existence.

It is exactly for this reason that The Law (the first five books of the Bible, namely: Genesis, Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers and Deuteronomy) and the rest of the Old Covenant/Testament is so frequently misunderstood and misjudged by humans. For example, they (the humans we live inside of) read about the flood and misjudge Father to be tyrannical or vindictive, when the exact opposite is true. The flood only wiped out the humans, who were totally out of control (the world was filled with violence and hatred), so that the spirit-Beings (Souls) inside of them could be sent back into bodies that were descended from Noah's sons, giving all of them a "second chance" at being rehabilitated.

Hopefully what you'll take from that example is this: what humans deem to be a genocidal act of tyranny was, in fact, our loving Creator exercising amazing patience, graciousness, love and mercy, giving each and every spirit-Being the best opportunity possible at salvation.

Peace be upon you.

phipps

Star
Being a true converted Christian.

Being a true Christian whose heart is genuinely converted is what we all want. How can we tell if we've been truly converted by Jesus? The apostle Paul counselled, “Examine yourselves as to whether you are in the faith. Test yourselves” (2 Corinthians 13:5).

First, what is conversion? Jesus makes it simple. "Most assuredly, I say to you, unless one is born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God" (John 3:3). A converted life is a life that has been reborn in Christ - a new birth for a new creature.

The power for the new birth comes from God, not us, and the Holy Spirit is the active agent in the new birth experience. Conversion is a supernatural work of the Holy Spirit. It is marked by a change of attitude towards God. Instead of running away from God, the one who is being converted turns toward God.

Conversion does not mean that we have to have everything straight right away or understand everything. The Christian life is a path that leads to heaven. Many who are at the beginning of their Christian experience are akin to babies or children just beginning the way, and learning as they go along. Conversion is about not fighting with God, but submitting to God.

In order for us to understand spiritual things, we need to have our hearts and minds renewed by the Holy Spirit. Conversion creates a new and deeper capacity for knowing God.

The Holy Spirit renews your mind and thereby creates new understandings and interests that were not there before. You begin to experience a new desire to know God. This new attitude leads to a changed life. In Ezekiel, God promises to give us new hearts and new spirits that can respond warmly to God and to others.

Conversion is called the new birth. It’s the beginning of spiritual life. Just as you cannot choose your own birthday in the physical life, you cannot choose your own spiritual birthday. You cannot convert yourself, or others for that matter. That is completely up to God. You can share Christ with others, but it is up to the Holy Spirit to change the attitude toward God.

God promises that He will finish the work He starts in us (Philippians 1:6).

Link and Link.

phipps

Star
How God feels towards us.

2 Peter 3:9, "The Lord is not slack concerning His promise, as some count slackness, but is longsuffering toward us, not willing that any should perish but that all should come to repentance."

1 Timothy 2:3-5, "For this is good and acceptable in the sight of God our Savior, who desires all men to be saved and to come to the knowledge of the truth. For there is one God and one Mediator between God and men, the Man Christ Jesus."

It is God’s will that everyone should be saved. God’s character is not one of force, but one of love and kindness. He is so gentle that He allows us to make the decision to follow Him.

Alanantic

Star
Do you think they have changed since the instruction book was issued?
Using the power of Jiminy Cricket, I created my own instruction book. What do you think a conscience is for? You don't need a book to tell you what's right or wrong. It's built-in THAT'S what's God given, not some book.

Daze

Superstar
Using the power of Jiminy Cricket, I created my own instruction book. What do you think a conscience is for? You don't need a book to tell you what's right or wrong. It's built-in THAT'S what's God given, not some book.
Yet, those who believe are openly more "good".

We've discussed this before, like the % of those who give charity are higher when we separate the God fearing from the atheists.

Consider those who will harm others. Will you stick a knife in someone if you believed in an ultimate punishment in the end? Of course not, a forewarning of punishment is a deterrent to "be good".

Sure, there are believers who do some horrible things and life is a test. But statistically those who have scripture are better for society.

For example look at the world wide sex trafficking problem. Any believers among them?

Alanantic

Star
Yet, those who believe are openly more "good".

We've discussed this before, like the % of those who give charity are higher when we separate the God fearing from the atheists.

Consider those who will harm others. Will you stick a knife in someone if you believed in an ultimate punishment in the end? Of course not, a forewarning of punishment is a deterrent to "be good".

Sure, there are believers who do some horrible things and life is a test. But statistically those who have scripture are better for society.

For example look at the world wide sex trafficking problem. Any believers among them?
I feel the laws of nature dictate our punishment. We reap what we sow regardless of our beliefs.