How Technology Is Making Us Less Intelligent

Devine

Star
This is strictly opinion. I think it's all going to turn our minds soft.

GPS: we don't know addresses or have much of a sense of direction
Social Media: how are interpersonal relations being affected here? will the next generation know how to make eye contact with one another and speak out loud? will all the "likes" send egos soaring? will anyone have an attention span longer than 10 seconds? So many people I see live their lives just to post them. it's a reason to take a vacation, spend time with fam, etc. I personally rarely get my camera out around my baby because I don't want to break the magical connection of the moment.
Cell Phones: besides the fact that they probably cause brain cancer. the average smart phone user checks their phone 150 times a day.no need to remember a phone number, an engagement, or even what you were conversing about last with someone. see all reasons under social media.
also, have you ever talked on a landline to someone who was on a landline? you can feel the other person over the other end because you are literally connected. I recommend it for your special calls :)
Computers: The concept of a conversation is officially dead thanks to google. why discuss a topic just look up the answer. but, you won't get a good or great answer unless you are good at searching.
TV: TV is the original and best "programming" source. Who even knows if these giant screens and images flashing by the split second are even safe to look at?
any thoughts guys?

Last edited:

Aero

Superstar
Well cell phones do give off radiation. But so does your computer, T.V and basically everything electrical. We just have to trust that the F.D.A is being honest when they say it's all totally safe. If you really think about it, since the birth of the T.V people have been sitting in front of X-rays.

And people acted like Kellyanne Conway was crazy when she said they can spy on you through your microwave. No. She wasn't crazy, those people just don't understand science. Or they simply don't explore the possibilities outside of textbooks.

I liked your post, don't let it go to your head and you mentioned cell phones twice. :D I agree with pretty much everything you said - with all the technology, especially the World Wide Web and google, people actually think they are more intelligent which is the real zinger.

The Zone

Star
For those old enough to remember the web in the early 90's, I think it was a place for mind expansion then. However, as corperations got more involved it became a place designed to suck your time away via several fronts. Mindless hypno games, knowlege pits or rabbit holes, advertising and mind control, agenda pushing via being banged over the head with doctrine and the list goes on. The web is a creation that is perfect for mind screwing you while taking you off the grid of real life in nature. It started by creating a smaller world and expanding our reach to other cultures only to in time land you in a tidy and predictable little box where you do the same thing over and over with some occasional expansions on the theme.

Last edited:

Devine

Star
Well cell phones do give off radiation. But so does your computer, T.V and basically everything electrical. We just have to trust that the F.D.A is being honest when they say it's all totally safe. If you really think about it, since the birth of the T.V people have been sitting in front of X-rays.

And people acted like Kellyanne Conway was crazy when she said they can spy on you through your microwave. No. She wasn't crazy, those people just don't understand science. Or they simply don't explore the possibilities outside of textbooks.
Wow kellyanne said that? awesome! I'm kinda suprised to see you say "We just have to trust the FDA... " LOL i don't!!

Aero

Superstar
Wow kellyanne said that? awesome! I'm kinda suprised to see you say "We just have to trust the FDA... " LOL i don't!!
Yes she said it, and the media tore her apart. Because any idea or concept that isn't consciously in the "conventional wisdom" of our civilizations must not be true! If it's not a headline or in a textbook it's not true.

And yeah the F.D.A is bought and paid for by special interests. All this electrical equipment and the garbage they put in food is giving people cancer. But still it's all "safe" enough. By safe they mean, safe for someone else to make money at our expense.

Devine

Star
For those old enough to remember the web in the early 90's, I think it was a place for mind expansion then. However, as corperations got more involved it became a place designed to suck your time away via several fronts. Mindless hypno games, knowlege pits or rabbit holes, advertising and mind control, agenda pushing via being banged over the head with doctrine and the list goes on. The web is a creation that is perfect for mind screwing you while taking you off the grid of real life in nature. It started by creating a smaller world and expanding our reach to other cultures only to in time land you in a tidy and predictable little box where you do the same thing over and over with some occasional expansions on the theme.
very well put...especially liked "perfect for mind screwing you while taking you off the grid of real life in nature"

Devine

Star
You raise some good points, Devin. Actually, I just came across this infographic the other day that emphasizes your opinions:

View attachment 191
I guess Marshall McLuhan message "the medium is the message" was right all along. Social media is affecting inter-personal relationships and not in a positive way.
thanks for this it's really great visual

williejonesjr

Veteran

This is strictly opinion. I think it's all going to turn our minds soft.

GPS: we don't know addresses or have much of a sense of direction
Social Media: how are interpersonal relations being affected here? will the next generation know how to make eye contact with one another and speak out loud? will all the "likes" send egos soaring? will anyone have an attention span longer than 10 seconds? So many people I see live their lives just to post them. it's a reason to take a vacation, spend time with fam, etc. I personally rarely get my camera out around my baby because I don't want to break the magical connection of the moment.
Cell Phones: besides the fact that they probably cause brain cancer. the average smart phone user checks their phone 150 times a day.no need to remember a phone number, an engagement, or even what you were conversing about last with someone. see all reasons under social media.
also, have you ever talked on a landline to someone who was on a landline? you can feel the other person over the other end because you are literally connected. I recommend it for your special calls :)
Computers: The concept of a conversation is officially dead thanks to google. why discuss a topic just look up the answer. but, you won't get a good or great answer unless you are good at searching.
TV: TV is the original and best "programming" source. Who even knows if these giant screens and images flashing by the split second are even safe to look at?
any thoughts guys?
I agree on all points. I have no social media. I don't watch TV. I do take pictures of my youngest brother bc he's so cute! I'd love to break my cell phone addiction, though!

williejonesjr

Veteran
You raise some good points, Devin. Actually, I just came across this infographic the other day that emphasizes your opinions:

View attachment 191
I guess Marshall McLuhan's message "the medium is the message" was right all along. Social media is affecting inter-personal relationships and not in a positive way.
Cool trip down memory lane.

Fleur D'Amour

Rookie
I'm in total agreement, yet I will admit that I still use the majority of the things mentioned, haha.

I find it interesting that the Bible mentions in Daniel 12:4 that knowledge will increase. I'll also admit that we have gotten a lot smarter in some areas, but not wise. I think wisdom is just as necessary as knowledge.

peridot

Established
While I do agree with the OP, humans tend to be lazy no matter. Our modern technology just gives us more ways to do it. When most of the country was agrarian and without electricity, cards, dice, etc were the vices. Now we just play them on the smart phones. Being something other than lazy or "less intelligent" requires work against our natural tendencies.

SkepticCat

Veteran
I must say I think there are great benefits to the ongoing massive technological revolution and I question the notion that it 'makes us stupid'. No, technology doesn't make people stupid - it's people's own stupid over-usage and reliance on it that makes them incompetent and stupid.

We have unparallelled access to information, books, audio and video recording, instantaneous, world-wide FREE communication - and yet we're letting occultist psychopaths get the best of us and run us down. No, this is a human issue - not a technological one.

The Zone

Star
But one cannot discount that some tech is created with human control and sheep herding in mind. As I said in an earlier post when the web was new it was a great place for mind expansion. When it became the everyday norm, there were ready-made attacks in place to push our buttons and divide many. In fact, there are studies that the more it expands the fewer people actually do themselves. We get shuffled into boxes where we discover less and surf the same sites over and over again. While there is an occasional expansion of seeking new ideas and sites, we tend to gravitate like a mice to a familiar place for our cheese, never knowing the factory is elsewhere. There is also the issue of disinformation and now squelching of opinions that do not fit an intended narrative by the tech giants. Like everything, humankind does not take long to corrupt it. While there are still plenty of positives with the web, there are more pitfalls and mind games one must navigate and that sucks our energy in a way to make us compliant and to think less. IOW, knowledge is there but we have to go through a gauntlet to get to it and that is where distractions from advertisers to hidden subject matter from the techie's search engines play a role is slowing our roll.

lovesoul

Established
Yup. I so badly want to just completely live without electronics. No cell phones, tv (although we only watch a handful of things sometimes), microwave, etc. I wouldn't mind a landline, although they're phasing them out. May see us as extreme but we aren't really. Wait till my kids are teens though lol Then we'll really be seen as extreme. By that point, our dream is to live pretty private so no one will really know how we live. I deleted our fb 2 months ago and I'm soooo happy I did! Next, is everything! I just feel it coming. Basically use my phone for calls and GPS if need be. Oh and photos, that's a guilty pleasure I've personally seen several folks in the past month alone on Insta "social media cleanse". Basically saying they're leaving all social media I guess. People are waking up I believe, or hope.

Devine

Star
Yup. I so badly want to just completely live without electronics. No cell phones, tv (although we only watch a handful of things sometimes), microwave, etc. I wouldn't mind a landline, although they're phasing them out. May see us as extreme but we aren't really. Wait till my kids are teens though lol Then we'll really be seen as extreme. By that point, our dream is to live pretty private so no one will really know how we live. I deleted our fb 2 months ago and I'm soooo happy I did! Next, is everything! I just feel it coming. Basically use my phone for calls and GPS if need be. Oh and photos, that's a guilty pleasure I've personally seen several folks in the past month alone on Insta "social media cleanse". Basically saying they're leaving all social media I guess. People are waking up I believe, or hope.
totally feel you on all of this!! good for you!!!!!

Devine

Star
I must say I think there are great benefits to the ongoing massive technological revolution and I question the notion that it 'makes us stupid'. No, technology doesn't make people stupid - it's people's own stupid over-usage and reliance on it that makes them incompetent and stupid.

We have unparallelled access to information, books, audio and video recording, instantaneous, world-wide FREE communication - and yet we're letting occultist psychopaths get the best of us and run us down. No, this is a human issue - not a technological one.
true what you say but don't the psychopaths control the technology? and are using it for agendas? as well as the effects on the body with some...