How Technology Is Making Us Less Intelligent

Devine

Star
While I do agree with the OP, humans tend to be lazy no matter. Our modern technology just gives us more ways to do it. When most of the country was agrarian and without electricity, cards, dice, etc were the vices. Now we just play them on the smart phones. Being something other than lazy or "less intelligent" requires work against our natural tendencies.
IDK if people Ever got to be lazy, before like 100 or 200 years ago, because wouldn't they have died? perhaps i picture the american settlers too much but don't have much of an idea what life was like in europe previous...

Vixy

Star
I'd say the opposite. I think its actually making us smarter in a way because the knowledge we get through this is incredible. Things I can look up within seconds now, I wouldnt have found before the internet even if I digged through the biggest library I could find. 1. I wouldnt even know where to dig and 2. The amount of knowledge available is incredible!

I have a whole new life to thank the internet and technology for, actually. My home, my furniture, things I needed to buy that I couldnt find in stores around and I've met the best people I know, online. Its also kind of good with the small things like say someone checks you out and you can tell they want to approach you but you arent interested and so you pull out your phone and look as though you're reading somehing very interesting. BAM! They dont come up to you. Nice rejection done! :p

Its also so much more easy to get in touch with people that were unreachable, like high profiles. There's e-mail and app after app. I celebrate technologies existance however yes, the 5G wifi and the already existing wifi would be a bit of a concearn but then I've read they're there to sterilise people and I never planned kids anyway so I dont really mind. I see it as a free sterilisation. ;)

..Let the scrutany begin!..

I personally see it as dumb inducing but i acknowledge i have an addiction to it like many others. an aDEEktion that will be worked on in due time but im working on alcohol and hookah first, then diet, then staring at a screen for 12+ hours a day bwahaha :rolleyes:

Vixy

Star
Also, as someone replied, in the endtimes knowledge would increase:

Daniel 12:4: "But you, Daniel, shut up the words and seal the book, until the time of the end. Many shall run to and fro, and knowledge shall increase."

peridot

Established
IDK if people Ever got to be lazy, before like 100 or 200 years ago, because wouldn't they have died? perhaps i picture the american settlers too much but don't have much of an idea what life was like in europe previous...
Freeloaders didn't start existing in the 60's.

And many settlers DID die (remember the "video game" Oregon Trail), even after hard work.
But you are correct, people that tend toward laziness tend to richer than average, or hungrier than average.
Kinda of brings to mind a few Proverbs.....

Devine

Star
I'd say the opposite. I think its actually making us smarter in a way because the knowledge we get through this is incredible. Things I can look up within seconds now, I wouldnt have found before the internet even if I digged through the biggest library I could find. 1. I wouldnt even know where to dig and 2. The amount of knowledge available is incredible!

I have a whole new life to thank the internet and technology for, actually. My home, my furniture, things I needed to buy that I couldnt find in stores around and I've met the best people I know, online. Its also kind of good with the small things like say someone checks you out and you can tell they want to approach you but you arent interested and so you pull out your phone and look as though you're reading somehing very interesting. BAM! They dont come up to you. Nice rejection done! :p

Its also so much more easy to get in touch with people that were unreachable, like high profiles. There's e-mail and app after app. I celebrate technologies existance however yes, the 5G wifi and the already existing wifi would be a bit of a concearn but then I've read they're there to sterilise people and I never planned kids anyway so I dont really mind. I see it as a free sterilisation. ;)

as long as we all don't get too lazy... and everyone will have to be much more discriminating about their sources since the internet is so different than books. but i see your point.
but what of the mom and pop stores for shopping! also wonder if we have some price to pay for the ease of social interactions as well idk..

peridot

Established

I appreciate having extra sources of information, especially ones that are easily accessible.
But access to information neither equates to intelligence or wisdom.

Plus there is SO MUCH information coming SO FAST, it makes is very difficult for all people to really examine what it is they are consuming. A HUGE amount of it is garbage.

CALIBAN

Rookie
no man! I have like 2 foot living space in my bedroom at parents house. Only place to sit. Don't talk to parents

Devine

Star
no man! I have like 2 foot living space in my bedroom at parents house. Only place to sit. Don't talk to parents
well you can still turn off screens right! try books i live for books :) REAL books

Devine

Star
...technology has made communicating dumber, or some might say smarter?
whatever it is?... I feel dumber because I don't know all the acronyms people insert into sentences.
I think it was the younger people?... whose thumbs operate at light speed!... I think they figured out how to compress language, such that they could send 84 texts per minute instead of the miserably unimpressive 75 texts per minute.
...and now it's part of language. we are a couple emoji's away from hieroglyphics again. hmmm... I don't know?

LOL...it's kinda funny that I know that one
OMG!...I almost forgot this one
aaaah!...WTF?..how come I don't know any more?
im afraid the acronyms are a lead in to us all communicating through bianaary code :)

Dalit

Star
With all the reporting on Facebook and the privacy issues, I'm surprised so many people still willingly are on it. Right before the first hack a year ago, I felt the need to get off of there permanently. A couple years ago I took a year off, too. My mistake was getting back on. Sure, some friends will fall away since they used that primarily to communicate to you when they were having parties and whatnot. Honestly, if my "friends" don't want to be friends without Facebook, then they weren't friends anyway. The list of "friends" was really more acquaintances or old school friends, etc. There is scientific proof that the more time a person spends on Facebook, the more depressed they really are or can become.

And, yes, to find really good information, with Google or otherwise, you have to dig because the top search results often have nothing to do with what you're really looking for most of the time.

Regarding directions and GPS, I still go old school and map out where I'm going and where I might want to go to beforehand and write it down since GPS can and does mess up. Sometimes even look up possible detours and road closings.

onequestion

Rookie
it's not only technology it's also the food supply and I think there's some kind of energy shift happening that's beyond what we can see in the physical realm

I've also entertained a zero sum theory of intelligence that applies to the entirety of the human civilization