How Old Is The Earth

John

Rookie
The Bible tells us that the Earth is only a few thousand years old, while scientists and geologists tell us it's billions of years old.

Whether it's thousands or billions, is that not a HUGE size difference? What do you guys think? Personally I believe the Earth is older than a few thousand years simply because of fossils. Yet, carbon dating could be flawed? Very interesting topic

A.J.

Star
I think its young.... Unless we know the exact age of the litmus or initial/independent standard there is no way to verify without major presuppositions.... Many factors like something catastrophic, consistency of decay rates are not factored in due to evolutionary dogma..... What makes Charles Lyell such an authority anyway....?

“Lyell also sold geology some snake oil. He convinced geologists that … all past processes acted at essentially their current rates (that is, those observed in historical time). This extreme gradualism has led to numerous unfortunate consequences, including the rejection of sudden or catastrophic events in the face of positive evidence for them, for no reason other than that they were not gradual.”

Last edited:

polymoog

Superstar
if we talk hard evidence, we can say that radiocarbon dating is not 100% foolproof. it also can only be used to about 50,000 years ago. K-Ar dating has the same drawbacks. we have dinosaur fossils, plenty of extinct animal remains, and evidence of past civilizations. we also have anomalous human(?) footprints next to dinosaur tracks.
we also have a moon (artificial or not) that is impossibly placed in a very strategic location within an orbit that should have no business holding it with such a weak gravity. to me, that gives me a feeling that this planet has been around for awhile.

personal opinion: i think the earth is very old. believing in the intervention theory, dinosaurs, and evidence that there was past civilizations on earth, i would put the number in the billions of years. i am open to any evidence.

Last edited:
This: http://speed-light.info/miracles_of_quran/age_of_universe.htm and this:

The Quran says the Universe and the Earth was created in 6 periods (Quran: 10:3) and that the Earth was created in 2 periods (Quran 41:9).That tell us that according to the Quran the earth should be 1/3 (2/6) the age of the universe.

And now what does science tell us?
-The Earth is 4.54 billion years old
-The Universe is 13.7 billion years old

4.54/13.7 is 1/3. We have realized the ages of the Earth and the universe recently!

Quranic exegesis:

The Quran asserts that the universe in its current form has been created in 6 periods:

[Quran 7:54] Indeed, your Lord is Allah , who created the heavens and earth in six periods

The Quran also asserts that the Earth in its current form has been in existence for 2 periods:

[Quran 41:9] Say, "Do you indeed disbelieve in He who created the earth in two periods

The Quran makes it clear elsewhere that the periods discussed refer to the periods of existence:

[Quran 50:38] And indeed we created the heavens and the earth and all between them in six periods

When the Quran says that Allah created the Universe and the Earth and Everything in between them (including humans) in six days this means that the Quran is referring to the period of existence. That means that in the distant future, the Quran would say that Allah created the universe and the earth and all that is between them (what will become between them) in 7, or 8, or 9 periods and so on.

At the time of the Quranic revelation (everything in between of the universe and earth), the universe has existed for 6 periods. And the Earth (which is contained in the universe) has existed for 2 periods out of the 6. This makes the Earth to be 2/6th (1/3rd ) the age of the universe.

Modern cosmology estimates that the universe is 13.7 billion years old and that the Earth is 4.54 billion years old. 4.54/13.7 is roughly 1/3rd. So according to modern cosmology, the Earth should be roughly 1/3rd the age of the universe. This cosmological finding complements the Quran and therefore makes the Quran scientifically accurate in its account for the relative ages of the universe and the Earth.

I ask the reader of this to open your mind, open your heart, drop the stereotypes and be honest and sincere with yourselves. When you see many of these scientific facts that we discover today remain consistent with the Quran, at what point do those facts remain a coincidence. Recommended Website:
http://www.cosmology-theory-evolution-quran.com/http://www.cosmology-theory-evolution-quran.com/

Thunderian

Superstar
Six Evidences of a Young Earth

Without millions and billions of years, evolutionary history completely falls apart. Here are just a few of many credible evidences from various branches of science that tell of a world much younger than evolutionists claim.

Evidence 1 Geology: Radiocarbon in Diamonds

Far from proving evolution, carbon-14 dating actually provides some of the strongest evidence for creation and a young earth. Radiocarbon (carbon-14) cannot remain naturally in substances for millions of years because it decays relatively rapidly. For this reason, it can only be used to obtain “ages” in the range of tens of thousands of years.

Scientists from the RATE (Radioisotopes and the Age of the Earth) project examined diamonds that evolutionists consider to be 1–2 billion years old and related to the earth’s early history. Diamonds are the hardest known substance and extremely resistant to contamination through chemical exchange.

Yet the RATE scientists discovered significant detectable levels of radiocarbon in these diamonds, dating them at around 55,000 years—a far cry from the evolutionary billions!
Evidence 2 Astronomy: Recession of the Moon

The gravitational pull of the moon creates a “tidal bulge” on earth that causes the moon to spiral outwards very slowly. Because of this effect, the moon would have been closer to the earth in the past. Based on gravitational forces and the current rate of recession, we can calculate how much the moon has moved away over time.

If the earth is only 6,000 years old, there’s no problem, because in that time the moon would have only moved about 800 feet (250 m). But most astronomy books teach that the moon is over four billion years old, which poses a major dilemma—less than 1.5 billion years ago the moon would have been touching the earth!
Evidence 3 Geology: Earth’s Decaying Magnetic Field

Like other planets, the earth has a magnetic field that is decaying quite rapidly. We are now able to measure the rate at which the magnetic energy is being depleted and develop models to explain the data.

Secular scientists invented a “dynamo model” of the earth’s core to explain how the field could have lasted over such a long period of time, but this model fails to adequately explain the data for the rapid decay and the rapid reversals that it has undergone in the past. (It also cannot account for the magnetic fields of other planets, such as Neptune and Mercury.)

However, the creationist model (based on the Genesis Flood) effectively and simply explains the data in regard to the earth’s magnetic field, providing striking evidence that the earth is only thousands of years old—and not billions.
Evidence 4 Biology: Dinosaur Soft Tissue

In recent years, there have been many findings of “wondrously preserved” biological materials in supposedly ancient rock layers and fossils. One such discovery that has left evolutionists scrambling is a fossilized Tyrannosaurus rex femur with flexible connective tissue, branching blood vessels, and even intact cells!

According to evolutionists, these dinosaur tissues are more than 65 million years old, but laboratory studies have shown that there is no known way—and likely none possible—for biological material to last more than thousands of years.

Could it be that evolutionists are completely wrong about how recently these dinosaurs lived?
Evidence 5 Anthropology: Human Population Growth

It’s amazing what basic mathematics can show us about the age of the earth. We can calculate the years of human existence with the population doubling every 150 years (a very conservative figure) to get an estimate of what the world’s population should be after any given period of time.

A biblical age of the earth (about 6,000 years) is consistent with the numbers yielded by such a calculation. In contrast, even a conservative evolutionary age of 50,000 years comes out to a staggering, impossibly high figure of 10 to the 99th power—greater than the number of atoms in the universe!

Clearly, the claim that humans have inhabited the earth for tens of thousands of years is absurd!
Evidence 6 Geology: Tightly Folded Rock Strata

When solid rock is bent, it normally cracks and breaks. Rock can only bend without fracturing when it is softened by extreme heating (which causes re-crystalization) or when the sediments have not yet fully hardened.

There are numerous locations around the world (including the famous Grand Canyon) where we observe massive sections of strata that have been tightly folded, without evidence of the sediments being heated.

This is a major problem for evolutionists who believe these rock layers were laid down gradually over vast eons of time, forming the geologic record. However, it makes perfect sense to creationists who believe these layers were formed rapidly in the global, catastrophic Flood described in Genesis.
Does the age of the earth really matter?

While each of these evidences reveals reasons why the earth cannot be billions of years old, the real issueis not the age of the earth. Instead, the real issue is authority. God’s infallible Word must be our ultimate authority, not the unstable foundation of human reasoning. Are we trying to fit our interpretations of the world (e.g., evolution) into Scripture, or will we simply let God speak for Himself through His Word?

If we can’t trust the first chapters of Genesis, why should we believe when Scripture says that faith in Jesus Christ as the only way of salvation? (Romans 10:9; Acts 4:12; John 14:6)

But when we take Scripture as written, it’s clear that the earth can’t be more than a few thousand years old—and from a biblical worldview, the scientific evidence agrees!

https://answersingenesis.org/evidence-for-creation/six-evidences-of-young-earth/

llleopard

Established
A few years ago, when mt ngaruhoe erupted, rocks that were formed in the explosion were carbon dated to millions of years old. ...If it is that wrong on something easily provable, I find it impossible to trust. I didn't want to be a creatard but I seem to have become one by default!

A.J.

Star
Exactly, and that's usually simply dismissed and thrown out as a mistake..... But if they are getting that wrong maybe their whole litmus is off to begin with based on their preconceived presuppositions.....really old earth is the only thing evolution has going for it, the rest of their story cannot stand when the scientific method is applied....but like politics this is not a war of science but a piece of the spiritual-ideological campaign and propaganda to reject and discredit God

A few years ago, when mt ngaruhoe erupted, rocks that were formed in the explosion were carbon dated to millions of years old. ...If it is that wrong on something easily provable, I find it impossible to trust. I didn't want to be a creatard but I seem to have become one by default!

Todd

Star
The Bible tells us that the Earth is only a few thousand years old,
It says no such thing...
The bible tells us that man has been around for about 6000 years. Read the creation story in Genesis chapter one without bias and you can see that Genesis Chapter one is a story about the recreation/reforming of the earth. Other bits and pieces from the bible can be put together to make the case that the earth was much older. The earth was the place that Lucifer and 1/3 of the angels were exiled to when they rebelled.

"And the earth was without form(תֹּהוּ tôhûw, to'-hoo; from an unused root meaning to lie waste; a desolation (of surface), i.e. desert; figuratively, a worthless thing; adverbially, in vain:—confusion, empty place, without form, nothing, (thing of) nought, vain, vanity, waste, wilderness.), and void (בֹּהוּ bôhûw, bo'-hoo; from an unused root (meaning to be empty); a vacuity, i.e. (superficially) an undistinguishable ruin:—emptiness, void.); and darkness was upon the face of the deep."

So in the beginning of Genesis something without form and void and darkness already existed. In other words an earth that was already corrupted previously by the existence of an expelled lucifer and the fallen angels. No time frame is ever mentioned for these events before Genesis chapter one. Genesis Chapter one is irrelevant for determining the age of the earth! It is only relevant for determining the age of mankind!

llleopard

Established
It says no such thing...
The bible tells us that man has been around for about 6000 years. Read the creation story in Genesis chapter one without bias and you can see that Genesis Chapter one is a story about the recreation/reforming of the earth. Other bits and pieces from the bible can be put together to make the case that the earth was much older. The earth was the place that Lucifer and 1/3 of the angels were exiled to when they rebelled.

"And the earth was without form(תֹּהוּ tôhûw, to'-hoo; from an unused root meaning to lie waste; a desolation (of surface), i.e. desert; figuratively, a worthless thing; adverbially, in vain:—confusion, empty place, without form, nothing, (thing of) nought, vain, vanity, waste, wilderness.), and void (בֹּהוּ bôhûw, bo'-hoo; from an unused root (meaning to be empty); a vacuity, i.e. (superficially) an undistinguishable ruin:—emptiness, void.); and darkness was upon the face of the deep."

So in the beginning of Genesis something without form and void and darkness already existed. In other words an earth that was already corrupted previously by the existence of an expelled lucifer and the fallen angels. No time frame is ever mentioned for these events before Genesis chapter one. Genesis Chapter one is irrelevant for determining the age of the earth! It is only relevant for determining the age of mankind!
Quite possible, but I'm not sure that makes a difference to some things - like the fossil record, and if dinosaurs and people lived together. ie I could quite happily agree that the earth itself is way old, but I don't see the Bible teaching that death happened until after Adam and Eve. So, I can't find it in myself to believe evolution, because the fossil record would still be only 6000 years old. Does that make sense?

llleopard

Established

llleopard

Established