How old are you guys?

thankfully no I’m not that old yet! I am a grandpa though and I wouldn’t trade it for anything!
What’s that like?
I heard that grandparents love their grandkids more than their own children (my Mom actually joked to me about this, but I think she may have meant it, though it didn’t really offend me because I love my kids more than myself as well!)

Is that true?

Todd

Star
What’s that like?
I heard that grandparents love their grandkids more than their own children (my Mom actually joked to me about this, but I think she may have meant it, though it didn’t really offend me because I love my kids more than myself as well!)

Is that true?
I don't think it's that we love our grandchildren more than our children. It's just a more enjoyable experience, because we are no longer primarily responsible on daily basis for the rearing of the child. As much as we want to be friends with our children, as parents that just doesn't work until after they are adults.

As a grandparent you have that freedom to truly be a friend all the time to a grandchild. Don't get me wrong I don't do anything with my grandchild to undermine her parents standards and the way they are trying to raise her. I just don't have to sweat the details the same. I can spoil her when she is with me.

My wife watched our grandaugther during the day until she was old enough to go to pre-school. Since she was the primary care-giver 40 hours a week, she felt a responsibility to enforce the standards our daughter and her husband were trying to instill in their child. I would get home from work a couple hours earlier than my daughter, so everyday I had "Papa" time with my grandaughter and i did not feel the same repsonsibility that my wife did.

My wife would get upset because she would be with her all day teaching her, disciplining her and trying to re-enforce the way her parents wanted her raised. But when Papa got home it was about having fun. So once I walked in the door all of our grandaughters attention was on me. LOL! She is defintely a "papa's" girl!

Now that is she is in school, my wife has been able to go back to 100% grandma mode and spoil her also!

I don't think it's that we love our grandchildren more than our children. It's just a more enjoyable experience, because we are no longer primarily responsible on daily basis for the rearing of the child. As much as we want to be friends with our children, as parents that just doesn't work until after they are adults.

As a grandparent you have that freedom to truly be a friend all the time to a grandchild. Don't get me wrong I don't do anything with my grandchild to undermine her parents standards and the way they are trying to raise her. I just don't have to sweat the details the same. I can spoil her when she is with me.

My wife watched our grandaugther during the day until she was old enough to go to pre-school. Since she was the primary care-giver 40 hours a week, she felt a responsibility to enforce the standards our daughter and her husband were trying to instill in their child. I would get home from work a couple hours earlier than my daughter, so everyday I had "Papa" time with my grandaughter and i did not feel the same repsonsibility that my wife did.

My wife would get upset because she would be with her all day teaching her, disciplining her and trying to re-enforce the way her parents wanted her raised. But when Papa got home it was about having fun. So once I walked in the door all of our grandaughters attention was on me. LOL! She is defintely a "papa's" girl!

Now that is she is in school, my wife has been able to go back to 100% grandma mode and spoil her also!
Well it sounds lovely....I look forward to someday being a grandmother. :)

It must feel amazing to see yet another generation of your family develop!

Maes17

Superstar
29. Feel 23.
If I shaved off my beard I'd still look like a high schooler.
My middle brother who is 19 has gray hairs. I, still jet black hair. A couple grays. I credit the healthy diet and no soda/alcohol at all