How lucky are we to have lived a childhood?

EddieG305

Rookie
Do you remember when we were kids? We would actually group together all of the neighborhood friends and play games like "freeze tag" and "hide and go seek." After school we would go over to a friend's house and play video games until it got dark and you know you would be grounded if you came home too late. Remember the day you were learning to ride a bicycle for the first time and fell on your ass and your friend's laughed at you? Or how about trading CD's and Pokemon cards with your friends ? We lived in the last generation when parks and neighborhoods were flooded with happy children.

It's sad to see that technology took this away. Even kids playing with other people are doing it in separate rooms via online gaming. Yesterday, I visited the places where I used to play. The neighborhood was empty and there was only one child at the playground. The little brat was on his phone. What the hell does a six year old do on an iPhone anyway?

I haven't seen anyone out and about since the 90s. Then last year, Pokemon Go was released and the streets were once again crowded with children and adults of many ages. There would be very minimal socializing among the players. The majority were too involved in their phones, trying to play a game from our childhood. And once that game burned out, the streets were hushed.

Last edited:

JoChris

Superstar
In Australia warnings against "stranger danger" have been a major factor in kids not being unsupervised ever.

There are frequent tragic reports of children being killed on way to or from school, despite it happening in other states 1000s of kms away. Most kids aren't walking or riding to school any more.

Here we are living in a culture of fear and paranoia about what could happen to our kids. What about other countries?

MoroccanEyes

Rookie
Children are not programmed to fear, and be paranoid. They have this spark of flame in them (some keep it, a lot lose it) of curiosity. Curiosity leads to truth. Ever seen a cat interact with things? Won't stop chasing, won't stop smelling, and won't stop investigating till it's found out what is on the other side. Same habit applies to children. A lot of programming in the media is actually there for kids. Not for adults, due to fact we've lived, we understand pain, we understand hardship, we understand these things. Children, however do not. The kid's with brainwashed parents I feel for. They are told, stay away from strangers! (Enforcing worry about yourself, screw your fellow human) Thus them being brought up to only worry about their tribe, and not humanity as a whole. Now'adays if a stranger is nice to a child, it's considered suspicious! that's how Lowe we've come which enforces people to stop reaching out to the innocent souls (Children) who'll one day be the president, or someone of importance but due to their indoctrination they will put their tribe and wallet first to which we call them puppets of the globalists. Now with the phone business, it's insane. These kid's pretty much are putting their interests, their personality on a hand held device which can be observed by 3rd party interests there by knowing more about the child then the actual parent. Sad times, And i truly believe humanity is not too far from self destruction. Mark of the beast? Shit's already been accepted, (mobiles)

williejonesjr

Veteran
Do you remember when we were kids? We would actually group together all of the neighborhood friends and play games like "freeze tag" and "hide and go seek." After school we would go over to a friend's house and play video games until it got dark and you know you would be grounded if you came home too late. Remember the day you were learning to ride a bicycle for the first time and fell on your ass and your friend's laughed at you? Or how about trading CD's and Pokemon cards with your friends ? We lived in the last generation when parks and neighborhoods were flooded with happy children.

It's sad to see that technology took this away. Even kids playing with other people are doing it in separate rooms via online gaming. Yesterday, I visited the places where I used to play. The neighborhood was empty and there was only one child at the playground. The little brat was on his phone. What the hell does a six year old do on an iPhone anyway?

I haven't seen anyone out and about since the 90s. Then last year, Pokemon Go was released and the streets were once again crowded with children and adults of many ages. There would be very minimal socializing among the players. The majority were too involved in their phones, trying to play a game from our childhood. And once that game burned out, the streets were hushed.

Life was good. My childhood was active - I was rarely ever home or inside for that matter. My skin color would spam the spectrum in the summer because I was always at the pool or playing ball, enjoying the nice weather. I lost a lot of friends once video games and cable cable TV came into the picture.
I'd love to go back to before these telephones & Facebook ruined society

The Zone

Star
In Australia warnings against "stranger danger" have been a major factor in kids not being unsupervised ever.

There are frequent tragic reports of children being killed on way to or from school, despite it happening in other states 1000s of kms away. Most kids aren't walking or riding to school any more.

Here we are living in a culture of fear and paranoia about what could happen to our kids. What about other countries?
In the USA, it is good form not to leave kids unattended. There are a lot of missing children people aren't aware of. So, I guess it is a sign of the times. It really is discouraging and I think the media aboids it beyond what we call Amber Alerts.

As for childhood, I don't think many nowdays have memories of the days of hide and seek and such. They call it social media these days but interaction eletronically is nothing compared to interactions in person. People hide their flaws and are not always who they say they are. There is a dishonesty in todays social media perhaps becasue of peer pressure, I dunno. There was a simplier time when it was the norm to interact in person and it was a good thing where actual social skill developed. A wise man once told me today will always be the golden age tomorrow. Things always seem better, simpler and more enjoyable in the past and for good reason -- it was. Todays humans are morphing into something new. People will argue whether that is good or bad but the feeling here seems to point to lets not merge ourselves into a transhuman just yet. We are more easily controlled if we stay inside or in our own little world and they are certainly feeding us all kinds of enthralling fantasies and time wasters to occupy us and make us waste away. Sorry for the melancholic take. How did that old Beatles song go...''Yesterday, all my troubles seemed to far away...'' Seriously, enjoy the day for it is as good as it will ever get.

JoChris

Superstar
Life was good. My childhood was active - I was rarely ever home or inside for that matter. My skin color would spam the spectrum in the summer because I was always at the pool or playing ball, enjoying the nice weather. I lost a lot of friends once video games and cable cable TV came into the picture.
I'd love to go back to before these telephones & Facebook ruined society
I also loved swimming and camping while growing up! Happy times.
My sons prefer to play games and interact with friends online too than go out in person. It takes too much physical effort and planning compared to just turning on the computer or games systems.

williejonesjr

Veteran
I also loved swimming and camping while growing up! Happy times.
My sons prefer to play games and interact with friends online too than go out in person. It takes too much physical effort and planning compared to just turning on the computer or games systems.
Ha! In my day, everyone just showed up! We didn't need to arrange or set up "play dates". We just knew to be there. But my town was small. I imagine your kids have friends all over town & would need driven all over God's green Earth. I had my bike. It was nothing to bike 8 miles to the next town to play ball with our rivals!

Those really were the good ol days!

Lady

Star
We, too, used to gather and play sports and kids' games with the neighbors. We even recruited from other neighborhoods in order to beef up our scrappy teams which were made up of a variety of age groups since everybody and his little brother/sister wanted in on the fun.

This is a dystopian world now. :(

williejonesjr

Veteran
We, too, used to gather and play sports and kids' games with the neighbors. We even recruited from other neighborhoods in order to beef up our scrappy teams which were made up of a variety of age groups since everybody and his little brother/sister wanted in on the fun.

This is a dystopian world now. :(
Oh yeah, that's why we went to the next town- a whole group of us. To beef it up! Ages 8- probably 15. All played together. Boys, girls, brothers, sisters... I remember trying chewing tobacco when I was 12. Some of the girls even tried it, too! Yuk! Wasn't as good as I thought it was going to be!

Now, that stuff is passe for these new age kids.

williejonesjr

Veteran
In the USA, it is good form not to leave kids unattended. There are a lot of missing children people aren't aware of. So, I guess it is a sign of the times. It really is discouraging and I think the media aboids it beyond what we call Amber Alerts.

As for childhood, I don't think many nowdays have memories of the days of hide and seek and such. They call it social media these days but interaction eletronically is nothing compared to interactions in person. People hide their flaws and are not always who they say they are. There is a dishonesty in todays social media perhaps becasue of peer pressure, I dunno. There was a simplier time when it was the norm to interact in person and it was a good thing where actual social skill developed. A wise man once told me today will always be the golden age tomorrow. Things always seem better, simpler and more enjoyable in the past and for good reason -- it was. Todays humans are morphing into something new. People will argue whether that is good or bad but the feeling here seems to point to lets not merge ourselves into a transhuman just yet. We are more easily controlled if we stay inside or in our own little world and they are certainly feeding us all kinds of enthralling fantasies and time wasters to occupy us and make us waste away. Sorry for the melancholic take. How did that old Beatles song go...''Yesterday, all my troubles seemed to far away...'' Seriously, enjoy the day for it is as good as it will ever get.
Sadly ageeing.
Oh, "hide & seek", or in my neighborhood "argue about the teams until the lights come on"! We did very little hiding & a lot of bickering! But it was the best times of my life.

No one was going to kidnap a group of 12 year olds cussing each other out!

mecca

Superstar
Kids today still do those things. Maybe it's a little less common but people aren't completely consumed by technology, especially at such a young age. I'm a teen right now but I grew up similar to the way you described.