How Lesbian, Feminist, Atheist Professor Rosaria Butterfield Found Christ

Red Sky at Morning

Superstar
Butterfield says that she

“came to Christ in 1999. I broke up with my lesbian partner because I was convicted of my sin, but my heart was a mess. I never called my partner my wife because I had rejected all things “heteronormative.” I —and others of my generation—dismissed the idea that we were “born this way.” Instead, I believed that my lesbian sexuality was a cleaner and more moral choice.”

However, prior to her conversion Butterfield had a low view of Christians and intensely disliked what Jesus stood for,

“As a leftist lesbian professor, I despised Christians… The word Jesus stuck in my throat like an elephant tusk; no matter how hard I choked, I couldn’t hack it out. Those who professed the name commanded my pity and wrath. As a university professor, I tired of students who seemed to believe that “knowing Jesus” meant knowing little else. Christians in particular were bad readers, always seizing opportunities to insert a Bible verse into a conversation with the same point as a punctuation mark: to end it rather than deepen it. Stupid. Pointless. Menacing. That’s what I thought of Christians and their god Jesus.”

While she was an atheist, Butterfield remembers receiving a great deal of hate and fan mail (5). She discovered one letter that she couldn’t quite classify, and it was this letter that started her on her journey to Jesus and the Christian faith. She says that it was “from the pastor of the Syracuse Reformed Presbyterian Church. It was a kind and inquiring letter.”

His name was Ken Smith and he gently encouraged her to “explore the kind of questions” that shed admired. These were thought provoking questions such as “How did you arrive at your interpretations? How do you know you are right? Do you believe in God? Ken didn’t argue with my article; rather, he asked me to defend the presuppositions that undergirded it. I didn’t know how to respond to it, so I threw it away.”

Nonetheless, despite disposing of the letter, these questions penetrated deep into her heart and soul and, as a result, her subsequent transformation because of it was nothing short of phenomenal. She was essentially transformed from someone who couldn’t say the name of Jesus to someone who not only believes in him but also worships him as her saviour. Moreover, Butterfield was transformed from a woman who berated Christians and what they stood for to an individual who not only became a Christian herself but also loved them as her own family. Butterfield also transitioned from being in a homosexual relationship to becoming the wife of a pastor as well as a mother of four.

However, as is the case for many who undergo major transitions in their lives, change is often expensive and far from easy, “When I came to Christ,” says Butterfield, “it had a horrible, mangling impact on my gay and lesbian community.” (6). These challenges have motivated her to write her own book, “I wrote this book called ‘The Secret Thoughts of an Unlikely Convert’ but I probably should have written a book titled ‘What My Conversion Cost Other People.’”

http://reasonsforjesus.com/how-lesbian-feminist-atheist-professor-rosaria-butterfield-found-christ/