How Kids Used To Eat In The 50s

rainerann

Star
I think what you can see the most in this commercial in the programming aspect of TV. The early years of TV definitely sucked in a generation with stuff like this. Everyone went out and bought all the products and thought people lived the way they saw on TV. It was like a campaign to get people to buy TV's. Then, as TV programming has changed, society has changed along with it, and it hard to tell whether we are influencing the TV programming or the programming is influencing us.

I guess I am trying to say that this commercial looks more like a social engineering experiment to me now than it did before.

Devine

Star
oh, and i forgot to add that the milk lobby had a great deal of sway back then. there were far more farmers than there are today. no doubt they had a big hand in creating a "milk group".
you might find the history of swaying public opinion from butter to margarine interesting.
perhaps the milk lobby backed down once milk got in schools :)

Maes17

Superstar
I think what you can see the most in this commercial in the programming aspect of TV. The early years of TV definitely sucked in a generation with stuff like this. Everyone went out and bought all the products and thought people lived the way they saw on TV. It was like a campaign to get people to buy TV's. Then, as TV programming has changed, society has changed along with it, and it hard to tell whether we are influencing the TV programming or the programming is influencing us.

I guess I am trying to say that this commercial looks more like a social engineering experiment to me now than it did before.
It's all a social agenda. That's good we're aware. But it's hard to get away from all the influence unless you get off the grid

Maes17

Superstar
The media of said decade does target the 25 and under crowd heavily though.

I find it funny how you can go back and identify a decade.

50's - diners, burgers, malt shakes, Elvis and being the HS quarterback with the cheerleader girlfriend.

60's/70's - flower child, hippie, woodstock

80's - rebel, loud, big hair,
90's - nike, fanny packs, Disney
2000's - somewhat serious tone for the early part to me. I think the current trend is mix of the 90's/80's

mecca

Superstar
once milk got in schools
Yeah that's really bad... I remember when I was in elementary school and I always questioned why they gave us milk and not water or even juice. I didn't understand that it was all because of the milk industry. All I wanted was water lol... I thought the milk was nasty.

Maes17

Superstar
Yeah that's really bad... I remember when I was in elementary school and I always questioned why they gave us milk and not water or even juice. I didn't understand that it was all because of the milk industry. All I wanted was water lol... I thought the milk was nasty.
I love milk :/

mecca

Superstar
I love milk :/
Eh... it's okay but the industry is terrible and milk isn't very healthy anyway. I prefer soymilk. Although, in desserts and baking I think milk is really good. Whole milk plus sugar tastes great.

Devine

Star
i like milk. but picture ALL that milk. that's a lotta milk money! i just can't believe they started offering chocolate milk, to elementary students. at least around here they do.

Lonk

Established
The media of said decade does target the 25 and under crowd heavily though.

I find it funny how you can go back and identify a decade.

50's - diners, burgers, malt shakes, Elvis and being the HS quarterback with the cheerleader girlfriend.

60's/70's - flower child, hippie, woodstock

80's - rebel, loud, big hair,
90's - nike, fanny packs, Disney
2000's - somewhat serious tone for the early part to me. I think the current trend is mix of the 90's/80's
I associate the HS quarterback with the cheerleader gf with the 90s for the some reason, but the rest is accurate, although the early and mid 2000s just makes me think of a few things: 2005-era fashion (think Mean Girls, High School Musical, etc.), Avril Lavigne (but she also leaks into the late 2000s for me), valley girls, and a highly inappropriate song that posting would most definitely get me banned.

Maes17

Superstar
I associate the HS quarterback with the cheerleader gf with the 90s for the some reason, but the rest is accurate, although the early and mid 2000s just makes me think of a few things: 2005-era fashion (think Mean Girls, High School Musical, etc.), Avril Lavigne (but she also leaks into the late 2000s for me), valley girls, and a highly inappropriate song that posting would most definitely get me banned.
The HS QB and gf do fit into the 90's as well.
Like that movie Varsity Blues.

I do see a lot of the Avril Lavigne, Valley girls type now that I go back and look at the early 2000's