How Kids Used To Eat In The 50s

polymoog

Superstar

my thoughts:
bill has a stomachache from eating that slop he calls cereal.
billy has been constipated for 3 days due to lack of vegetables in his diet.
mother plays linebacker for the cleveland browns when shes not at home with the kids.

Who has cereal plus a glass of milk on the side?
That's how I always eat cereal. I eat it dry.

mecca:
during the 40s and into the 50s, milk had its own group on the food pyramid.

I remember the four food groups, although now they seemed to break it into five.

I used to always try to convince my mother pizza was the healthiest meal in the world because it had all four food groups. She always called me out. :(

polymoog

Superstar
But cereal with milk already in it plus more milk. That's weird.
maybe billy adds a ton of sugar to his bowl of cereal when mother is putting on her shoulder pads.
billy drinks the milk from the glass to dilute the supersaturated sugary milk in his cereal.

- Or maybe he doesn't like to drink the sugar milk with ceral residuals at the end of his bowl and wants to drink a plain glass of milk after it to wash it all down.

Maes17

Superstar
Who has cereal plus a glass of milk on the side?
Guilty here. Often a friday night snack. End of the week, work and workouts and homelife.
I like to have a treat. Yes sometimes cereal and an extra glass of milk, sometimes a pb&j on whole wheat, with an energy drink.

I've been really watchful with my diet, so I allow 2 junk food days to keep the soul happy

polymoog

Superstar
When you guys think 1950's diet, do burgers, fries and a shake come to mind?
what comes to mind with a 50s diet: steak, potatos, and casseroles come to mind. meat loaf, too. served by someone named "jane".

50s diners were the place for burgers, malts, and sodas. ice cream sodas, yes, but shakes werent popularized until later (i think-- ill have to ask around).

JoChris

Superstar
When you guys think 1950's diet, do burgers, fries and a shake come to mind?
I think traditional English meals, especially dinners. Steak, lamb chop, potatoes and vegetables.
Mostly cereal/ porridge, perhaps eggs, bacon, baked beans on toast. Sandwiches for lunch.
Prepared desserts on special occasions only.

Maes17

Superstar
what comes to mind with a 50s diet: steak, potatos, and casseroles come to mind. meat loaf, too. served by someone named "jane".

50s diners were the place for burgers, malts, and sodas. ice cream sodas, yes, but shakes werent popularized until later (i think-- ill have to ask around).
Diners come to mind when I think of the 50s

polymoog

Superstar
I think traditional English meals, especially dinners. Steak, lamb chop, potatoes and vegetables.
Mostly cereal/ porridge, perhaps eggs, bacon, baked beans on toast. Sandwiches for lunch.
Prepared desserts on special occasions only.
i was looking at this from a narrow minded american perspective. thanks for this!

polymoog

Superstar
But cereal with milk already in it plus more milk. That's weird.
oh, and i forgot to add that the milk lobby had a great deal of sway back then. there were far more farmers than there are today. no doubt they had a big hand in creating a "milk group".
you might find the history of swaying public opinion from butter to margarine interesting.

JoChris

Superstar
i was looking at this from a narrow minded american perspective. thanks for this!
White Australia is very much descended from UK/Irish heritage. Our diet would have been very boring until more foreign immigrants arrived. I cannot think of a single restaurant I have seen that advertises an English menu in fact. Perhaps fish and chips and pub food would be closest?

Maes17

Superstar
White Australia is very much descended from UK/Irish heritage. Our diet would have been very boring until more foreign immigrants arrived. I cannot think of a single restaurant I have seen that advertises an English menu in fact. Perhaps fish and chips and pub food would be closest?
Interesting