How Do You Stay Healthy?

Discussion in 'Health and Wellness' started by grateful servant, Mar 27, 2017.

1. umphreak

umphreak Rookie

This is true. Cooking and then cooling pasta, rice, and potatoes creates resistant starch. You can even reheat these foods after they've been cooled in the fridge overnight, and the resistant starch remains! It resists digestion, so like Damien said, you don't absorb resistant starch as calories. Instead it becomes food for the beneficial bacteria in the large intestine, which has other health benefits. Pretty cool!

2. Fl-Fr-Fa

Fl-Fr-Fa Established

Thanks. I'll pass this info. onto the naturopath whom I used to work with; my guess, is that she would be on top of this info. anyway. I hope to read it as well. All I remember, is what Natures Cargo had told me as to why they stopped getting salt (from France?) but that was several years ago that I had that conversation.

umphreak and Devin like this.
  3. Devin

Devin Star

I think the most important thing for anyone's diet is just to eat Whole foods that are Alive. the only food in the grocery store that is really food is usually on the perimeter of the store: fruits and veg obviously, dairy products, meat (though grocery store meat probably more harm than good), and grains. all the aisles in the middle? old dead food. if it comes from a box,even it's it's organic, it's probably no good. with the exception of grains and dried beans.
    picture boxed factory food and how old it is, how many places it's been and hands passed through before arriving to you. frozen foods especially, seperate ingredients from seperate locations, cooked, brought together, cooked again, frozen, stored, and then cooked again by you. that food has NO life left in it and no value to eat you would be better off to starve or eat grass from your yard.
    but folks will try to tell you that frozen veg is acutally better than fresh that is a crock of shit IMO :)

mecca and polymoog like this.
  4. Lurker

Lurker Veteran

There is some truth to the statement. I've seen a recent study that compared them. Some pluses went to each and it varied by vegi. I buy fresh when in season and frozen when out of season. I think that being frozen usually within 48 hrs of harvest is better than "fresh" that traveled hundreds or thousands of miles.

Devin and mecca like this.

5. umphreak

umphreak Rookie

I recently learned that folate is lost rapidly from frozen vegetables. So definitely don't depend on frozen veggies for your folate needs!

Lurker, Devin and mecca like this.
  6. polymoog

polymoog Veteran

youre better off simply eating food seasonally.

Lurker and Devin like this.
  7. Devin

Devin Star

well that's what i've heard too but i am doubtful do you remember where you saw the study?

Lurker likes this.
  8. Lurker

Lurker Veteran

Unfortunately, no. I've been trying to remember since typing about it.

9. Lurker

Lurker Veteran

Yes, but I still like broccoli during the summer.

polymoog likes this.
  10. Lurker

Lurker Veteran

Good to know, but I look at vegetables as part of a health diet over I need "x" nutrient

11. Annonymous_Damsel

Annonymous_Damsel Established

Stressed like crazy so I drink sweet red wine...

Etagloc likes this.
  12. Etagloc

Etagloc Star

Ginger Tea

grateful servant likes this.
  13. umphreak

umphreak Rookie

Well, that's one way of looking at it. Folate is one of the most important nutrients in vegetables, and it's not the easiest to get enough of in your diet unless you make an effort to do so.

BTW is this the study you were talking about? http://ucce.ucdavis.edu/files/datastore/234-779.pdf

14. Maes17

Maes17 Rookie

Been drinking unsweetened black tea in place of my energy drinks. Down to 2 energy drinks a week. Tues/thursday I allow.

No longer feel a need for them.
    So a 7 year habit kicked.

I've always been a big water person. I have avoided gatorade the past two weeks. I do feel the less sugar withdrawal, but nothing overwhelming

15. UnderAlienControl

UnderAlienControl Veteran

16. Maes17

Maes17 Rookie

17. Karlysymon

Karlysymon Veteran

18. Sunshine

Sunshine Rookie

I do that too! It's fun because you can change up the flavor just by changing the type of juice, and it seems satisfying in a way that Gatorade doesn't. (i had stomach problems a while back and had to fast for a month and eat a very light dinner. My homemade sports drink kept me feeling full all day long, even with a physically demanding job.)

I started baking my own bread. It's not that hard, you just need the time to let it proof for an hour or so, and bake for another hour. I make a batch and put half in the freezer for later in the week. Let me tell you guys, the flavor of fresh, chemical free bread is Amazing!

I am loving the green superfood powder, with chlorella and the like, and start my day w/a glass of that before I move on to coffee or tea.

Being a mom, it's hard to find "fun" foods that will appeal to my family, but so far I've managed to avoid HFCS and the most egregious of the colorants and preservatives. For convenience foods, I choose organic mac & cheese, frozen pizzas, granola bars and a lot of "Back to Nature" products like cookies and crackers. For a treat, I'll let my kids have an root beer or cream soda, and I'm partial to the "Throwback" Pepsi made w/real sugar.

We eat meat maybe twice a week, and I buy organic. (I love it too much to give it up entirely.) I use vegetarian versions of burgers, chicken nuggets, ground beef and sausages. (Chicken parmesan w/the Morningstar patties is actually better than any restaurant version.) My boys now officially love tofu and almond milk. Coconut and olive oil (Spanish, not fake Italian stuff) for cooking, and I sneak in extra veggies in things like meatloaf, pasta sauce and casseroles. And I substitute Greek yogurt for anything involving mayo or sour cream--if you season it right, you can't tell the difference, especially if you make your own salad dressings (Caesar, thousand island, honey mustard--all easy to do).

I hope you guys can use some of these ideas, especially since so few of us have time to make everything from scratch all the time, and sometimes you just gotta have something a little naughty, whether it's a slice of pizza or a cookie.

mecca likes this.
  19. polymoog

polymoog Veteran

lots of people say to live a little.... im not one of them. : )

Devin likes this.
  20. Maes17

Maes17 Rookie

I have a slice of pizza or 4.
    If I must go the quick route. Dominos or little caesars. That's my naughty treat lol.

Aside from work. Been hitting my workouts hard every evening. Been drinking a ton of water everyday and I feel so much better for it.

Chasing around my son. Downtime with the wife. It's been nice to enjoy the simple things. Keeps me sane mentally

Haich and mecca like this.