fit for the summer

Sarge

Rookie
Nice home gym setup Maes, gyms are closed in my area and all i have are 4lb dumbells.

Since marriage i've slacked off alot and put on weight. Hashimotos not helping this either,

I miss the days of being very fit. I'm 5'11 and at my peak i was around 80-85kg, when i was competing in the amateurs (boxing).

Unfortunately i hurt the same shoulder both in sparring and at the gym doing upright rows, this derailed my regiment/career. Shoulder has never been the same since.

My tip for anyone getting into weight training, do it right from the beginning. Get advice if you're unsure and have someone show you correct form and technique. It can potentially save you from injury and you will see results sooner rather than later.

My tip for anyone trying to lose weight, do a fasted cardio session in the morning and do not eat anything beyond 8pm in the evening. Cut the carbs right down and increase protein intake. You will see results within the first week, these results will keep you motivated. I will take my own advice one day!

Maes17

Superstar
Nice home gym setup Maes, gyms are closed in my area and all i have are 4lb dumbells.

Since marriage i've slacked off alot and put on weight. Hashimotos not helping this either,

I miss the days of being very fit. I'm 5'11 and at my peak i was around 80-85kg, when i was competing in the amateurs (boxing).

Unfortunately i hurt the same shoulder both in sparring and at the gym doing upright rows, this derailed my regiment/career. Shoulder has never been the same since.

My tip for anyone getting into weight training, do it right from the beginning. Get advice if you're unsure and have someone show you correct form and technique. It can potentially save you from injury and you will see results sooner rather than later.

My tip for anyone trying to lose weight, do a fasted cardio session in the morning and do not eat anything beyond 8pm in the evening. Cut the carbs right down and increase protein intake. You will see results within the first week, these results will keep you motivated. I will take my own advice one day!
Thanks man. I invested quite some time and money. Still want to add more, but it’s a sufficient set up that I can do a lot with.

I’ve been on a high volume routine for 6 weeks. Wanted to push to 8 weeks, but I am seriously considering on decreasing my compound lifts this week. 3 sets 3-5 reps. My body is feeling it now.

And yes I agree definitely know how to weight train. It’s good to know/set goals. Which percentages to understand as far as 1 rep max, rep ranges for muscle building, strength etc.
And form.

Boxing is very cardio demanding sport. Kudos to you. I have a friend that fights professionally here - local. If your shoulder allows. Do body weight stuff

Maes17

Superstar
Whats your h/w stats currently, what are you trying to achieve
H/w
Height? 5’6
Weight: 195
Bf% 12

Just maintaining right now. General athleticism is my goal. I got the bulk I wanted out of the high volume program. Right now I am looking at maintenance as far as the actual weight lifted. So thinking on keeping the weights up but decreasing reps.

@free2018 limit carbs on non cardio days.
If you can keep a low carb, high protein diet with three days of fasted cardio in the morning. You should see some fat melt off.

You will need some carbs though for glycogen purposes/muscle fuel.

I eat a lot of carbs myself but my routine had a lot of high volume and a lot of hiit

Maes17

Superstar
I have felt a burn out type effect at the end of this program though. Definitely do think a deload is the best approach moving forward. The first four weeks I’ve been grinding. That 3rd week of the program I was cloud 9. Week 4. Noticed endurance and explosiveness going up.

Week 6, although burnt out. Reps are achievable but they feel heavier.

Cardio - especially sprints. I can go higher intensity a lot longer. But it leaves me in a zombie like funk the next day when I go hard at hiit training - the gains are there, I just feel I peaked. So maybe it’s time to dial it down.

free2018

Star
H/w
Height? 5’6
Weight: 195
Bf% 12

Just maintaining right now. General athleticism is my goal. I got the bulk I wanted out of the high volume program. Right now I am looking at maintenance as far as the actual weight lifted. So thinking on keeping the weights up but decreasing reps.

@free2018 limit carbs on non cardio days.
If you can keep a low carb, high protein diet with three days of fasted cardio in the morning. You should see some fat melt off.

You will need some carbs though for glycogen purposes/muscle fuel.

I eat a lot of carbs myself but my routine had a lot of high volume and a lot of hiit
AWESOME. THANKS.
CARBS ARE THE PROBLEM.

Maes17

Superstar
AWESOME. THANKS.
CARBS ARE THE PROBLEM.
Carbs are/can be essential in your diet. They are a primary fuel source for your body. I personally consume a lot of carbs just because of the high volume strength training I do, along with the high intensity cardio intervals I do. So my body needs that fuel source.

In your situation, if your staying consistent at your cardio. I’d do a heavy carb day the days before cardio. The days you do strength training do low carb/higher protein.

And like @Sarge said. If you can do your cardio in tje morning in a fasted state. You’ll lose a bit of muscle,
but your body will use fat as it’s source of energy. You can always take in extra protein to help maintain that muscle after

Maes17

Superstar
As far as supplements.
Quality fish oil
A good multivitamin
Creatine. I like mutant creakong. Not pricey, a lot of servings
Whey protein. I’m not a fan of soy protein cause it tends to have an estrogenic effect in males and I think I remember reading it can cause thyroid issues in males too. For women I assume it’s safe. But definitely take in high protein when on a cut or weight loss routine.

Sarge

Rookie
How do get rid of belly fat?
I wish there was a legal pill for this lol

Belly fat is very stubborn and very hard to activate with exercise, abdominal workouts work the abs but the layer of fat remains. Obvious solution to this is diet.
But there is a belt you can wear while exercising that heats up the belly area as your body warms up, activating that stubborn fat. I have tried it and it definitely does work. I'll see if I can find the link to it, they are called hot belts.

Maes17

Superstar
Kept the reps up, but sets cut in half on compounds.
Felt pretty good

Todd

Star
@morita , are you still working towards running a marathon? How is the training coming along?

I finally have gotten in a groove running again about 3-4 times a week. Right now I'm rotating through five different training runs all between 3 and 4 miles long. Surges, short fartleks, progression run, 400meter repeats and a ladder fartlek. Every other week I throw in a longer 5 or 6 mile steady pace run.

At this point I'm still cardio limited more than muscle/tendon limited.
I'm still a long ways away from where I was at my peak at the end of 2017.

morita

Veteran
gluteus medius.png

I train the small muscles too, to avoid injuries. Muscle imbalances get even more noticeable as I workout.

Maes17

Superstar
View attachment 36671

I train the small muscles too, to avoid injuries. Muscle imbalances get even more noticeable as I workout.
Yep.

Are you doing any lateral movements along with your running/sprinting?

Keep an eye on your soles of the shoes as well. You may need to invest in a few pairs. Seems like you’re doing your research on fitness. Good job.

Just pay attention to any aches. Knee pain and something like an achilles strain are easy to tweak. Keep it up. Good luck with your marathon goals

Maes17

Superstar
So after a week off of weight lifting.
Started back at it last night. Noticed increase in bar speed while under control/tension. That is a plus.

Reps, although I did go down lighter weight. Crisper than usual. Going heavy enough to break past any plateau that was bound to happen before my deload. But also light enough to ease me back in and not burn me out.

Maes17

Superstar
Weights and volume going back up smooth. Enjoyed a pretty rigorous shoulder warm up before hitting bench press today. Trying to create more muscle around my shoulder socket to provide stability

Maes17

Superstar
Did 14 sets of hill sprints today in the desert heat.
Pretty big hill too. Was able to get a decent 10+ second sprint up.

Definitely feeling it now. Caught my wind fast as well.