How do Christians reconcile belief in God and Prophets with the Bible?

Haich

Superstar
Jesus Christ can be God and man, he can certainly be God and prophet. Jesus Christ the man is the ultimate prophet of God. During his time on earth, he performed miracles and preached the word of God. That's textbook prophet behaviour.
Jack of all trades...

You can't be God, man and prophet all at the same time.

Was David a prophet according to you?

Also, if Jesus was God but also man, why did he relay the message he himself would have known about. Why would Jesus,
being God but also man, tell people that they had to follow God and accept the father, if he was God?

Why would the prophet be prophesying if he was the one the prophesies were supposedly about!

It's like me warning you guys to listen to me or else my dad will be upset and do something bad. I know he will do this because I am also him. I am also him because he is my father and we are one so we think the same and can communicate by synchronising our thoughts. He will give me the ability to harm you guys, because while I'm online, I'm in a weaker form. When come offline I'm strong like him...

Do you have any idea how ridiculous that sounds?

Todd

Star
Jack of all trades...

Also, if Jesus was God but also man, why did he relay the message he himself would have known about. Why would Jesus,
being God but also man, tell people that they had to follow God and accept the father, if he was God?

Why would the prophet be prophesying if he was the one the prophesies were supposedly about!

It's like me warning you guys to listen to me or else my dad will be upset and do something bad. I know he will do this because I am also him. I am also him because he is my father and we are one so we think the same and can communicate by synchronising our thoughts. He will give me the ability to harm you guys, because while I'm online, I'm in a weaker form. When come offline I'm strong like him...

Of course it sounds ridiculous, but indoctrination and dogma are strong forces that cause many to dismiss logic and reason and confuse incomprehensible mystery with faith.

Haich

Superstar
It's one of two choices and both scenarios work against you guys.

1. Jesus, The Father and Holy spirit are equal at all times and have equal power.

However, we know this is not possible as there are a lot of verses which contradict this claim. The holy spirit doesn't know the final hour and Jesus clearly states he doesn't know either.

Jesus also states he wasn't too keen on being crucified and prayed for the father's will to be done. This tells us they have independent minds and different wills which doesn't make sense when trying to grapple with the trinitarian doctrine.

2. Jesus, The Father and Holy Spirit have varying degrees of influence with The Father reigning supreme. In this case, you can't have a trinity as The Father is the ultimate authority. For a trinity to be triune they have to be co equal and this wouldn't be the case here.
By calling on Jesus, you are polytheising the monotheistic belief of there being one God which is what Jesus preached.

Jesus stated he couldn't do anything without The Father and even prayed down to The Father. We can't ignore these verses guys as however you twist them, they are clear cut in wording. It's such a blessing and a mercy from God that Jesus's direct words were preserved in your books because they are very different to some of the things Paul and all those random guys stated...

Haich

Superstar
Of course it sounds ridiculous, but indoctrination and dogma are strong forces that cause many to dismiss logic and reason and confuse incomprehensible mystery with faith.
I'm genuinely saddened to see the extent of brainwashing the church does. People can't and aren't encouraged to think critically about their own scripture.

This herd mentality is dangerous and it also shows that some Christians aren't sincere in getting to the truth. You need to try and be objective when discussing scripture because subjectivity will just blind you to basic logic.

You need logic to understand God and I'm afraid all I see here is blind faith and a strong tie to the church which seems to be more important than Jesus's words!

Red Sky at Morning

Superstar
The dialogue above reminds me of the type of conversation two very brave women who left their Islamic culture and converted to Christianity faced in Evin Prison in Iran.

For anyone wanting to understand why Islam means “submission” their story of courage is an eye-opener.

JoChris

Superstar
Jack of all trades...

Why not?

Colossians 1:16 For by him [Jesus] were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible, whether they be thrones, or dominions, or principalities, or powers: all things were created by him, and for him:...

Mark 1:1 The beginning of the gospel of Jesus Christ, the Son of God;
2 As it is written in the prophets, Behold, I send my messenger before thy face, which shall prepare thy way before thee.

John 6:46 Not that any man hath seen the Father, save he which is of God [Jesus] he hath seen the Father.

Acts 2:22 [Peter said] Ye men of Israel, hear these words; Jesus of Nazareth, a man approved of God among you by miracles and wonders and signs, which God did by him in the midst of you, as ye yourselves also know:

Prophecies made by Jesus https://www.blueletterbible.org/faq/don_stewart/don_stewart_1349.cfm
http://www.azbible.com/prophecies-given-by-jesus.html

1 Corinthians 1:23 But we preach Christ crucified, unto the Jews a stumblingblock, and unto the Greeks foolishness;
24 But unto them which are called, both Jews and Greeks, Christ the power of God, and the wisdom of God.

Whole passage https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=1+Corinthians+1&version=KJV

Axl888

Established
Jack of all trades...

Why not? Jesus Christ is one, nothing is impossible if God wills it.

It seems you lack understanding of the Godhead (Trinity), let me share to you Chuck Missler's explanation of the Godhead in the video/link below, perhaps this would shed a light on you (somehow)

manama

Star
When Christians say that they will live with God in heaven. What form will it be? The father? The son? or the spirit?

People who say they have the holy spirit in them, do you have God in you? Are you part divine then?

TokiEl

Superstar
You need logic to understand God and I'm afraid all I see here is blind faith and a strong tie to the church which seems to be more important than Jesus's words!
You don't even understand that you as a created being cannot understand God the Creator.

TokiEl

Superstar
When Christians say that they will live with God in heaven. What form will it be? The father? The son? or the spirit?

People who say they have the holy spirit in them, do you have God in you? Are you part divine then?
God is great... you say but your words show that you think God is not greater than your understanding.

lol

You created a discussion with (what you believe to be) a rhetorical question.
I asked a question which no Christian can answer without circular reasoning. It's very true "The Bible is the only authority because the Bible is the only authority because the Bible is the only authority because the Bible is the only authority because the Bible is the only authority because the Bible is the only authority because the Bible is the only authority because the Bible is the only authority because the Bible is the only authority because the Bible is the only authority because the Bible is the only authority because the Bible is the only authority because the Bible is the only authority because the Bible is the only authority because the Bible is the only authority because the Bible is the only authority because the Bible is the only authority because the Bible is the only authority because the Bible is the only authority because the Bible is the only authority because the Bible is the only authority because the Bible is the only authority because the Bible is the only authority because the Bible is the only authority because the Bible is the only authority because the Bible is the only authority because the Bible is the only authority because the Bible is the only authority because the Bible is the only authority because the Bible is the only authority because the Bible is the only authority because the Bible is the only authority because the Bible is the only authority because the Bible is the only authority because the Bible is the only authority because the Bible is the only authority because the Bible is the only authority because the Bible is the only authority because the Bible is the only authority because the Bible is the only authority because the Bible is the only authority because the Bible is the only authority because the Bible is the only authority because the Bible is the only authority because the Bible is the only authority because the Bible is the only authority because the Bible is the only authority because the Bible is the only authority because the Bible is the only authority because the Bible is the only authority because the Bible is the only authority because the Bible is the only authority because the Bible is the only authority because the Bible is the only authority because the Bible is the only authority because the Bible is the only authority because the Bible is the only authority because the Bible is the only authority because the Bible is the only authority because the Bible is the only authority because the Bible is the only authority because the Bible is the only authority because the Bible is the only authority because the Bible is the only authority because the Bible is the only authority because the Bible is the only authority because the Bible is the only authority because the Bible is the only authority because the Bible is the only authority because" for infinity.

I will add that this is a much bigger conundrum for Protestants than for Catholic and Orthodox Christians. However the problem of taking the Bible (and even the concept of a 'canon' itself) as authority, whilst still upholding the concept of God and the concept of Prophethood - poses massive problems to the idea of holding the Biblical 'canon' as it is, as sole authority and a closed-book.

And if you bring in the whole "but I've experienced the holy spirit", then you have to admit that people who don't believe in the Bible and who will never believe in the Bible can and do also experience the 'holy spirit'. Therefore you remove your ability to say "I have the truth and nothing but the truth, everyone else are following Satan" and so forth.

This is, however, the tip of the iceberg.

TokiEl

Superstar
Couldve used all that time to answer the question. Its pretty easy one, if God has three forms, which one would you live with in the heaven?
You keep leaning on your own lack of understanding concerning your Creator.

TokiEl

Superstar
The Gospels say that Yeshua (Jesus) is the word of God made flesh. He teaches the Prophets, and to obey them and God.
John 1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.

Both the Old and the New Testament and Jesus himself are adamant about Him being God.

Last edited: