How did we end up here?

Mr.Anderson

Veteran
Hey, today i was writing na essay and I pointed a few cultural markers that ended making us end where we are now, also i'd like you to help me fill in the gaps here we go:

2010 and before - gay couples were becoming more common. Hair colors used to be brown, blonde, black and red. The gender blurring wasn't a big thing yet. Metrossexuals were a thing. Pressure point, things are about to get weirder.

2011 - Born this way is released by Lady Gaga. Things get crazy from now on.

2012 - gap.

2013 - gap.

2014 - gap.

2015 - Desmond is Amazing becomes well known. Highest point. Simone de Beuvoir is quoted in brazilian ENEM (na exam you take to enter in the university)

2016 - For better or for worse, Trump wins. Paradigm shift in USA, things get too twisted, some people start waking up.

2017 - In Brazil the pieces "Criança Viada" and "La Bête" stirs general outrage.

2018 - For better or for worse, Bolsonaro wins. Paradigm shift in brazil.

2019 - Progressive autophagy. The PC starts crumbling. Tought police and tought criminals are a thing now.

2020 - Corona Vírus make people stay at home with their Family members all day. People are to busy with real problems to play with imaginary ones.

Johnny5

Veteran
It started way before 2010. Maybe that was for the ease of the timeline (have to start somewhere) , but crazy stuff has been going on for a long time. I personally feel a lot of what is going on in society stems from the psychiatry's influence on culture over the past 50-60 years. The psychiatrists and psychologists have been pushing the love yourself, do you, be you, do what you want regardless of the repercussions mantra for decades now. It has infiltrated every aspect of life in the west.

Lisa

Superstar
It started way before 2010. Maybe that was for the ease of the timeline (have to start somewhere) , but crazy stuff has been going on for a long time. I personally feel a lot of what is going on in society stems from the psychiatry's influence on culture over the past 50-60 years. The psychiatrists and psychologists have been pushing the love yourself, do you, be you, do what you want regardless of the repercussions mantra for decades now. It has infiltrated every aspect of life in the west.
You’ve got a good point!

1968..the Odd Couple, 2 divorced men living together.
1972..the Bob Newhart Show with a man who was divorced.

1970 the Mary Tyler Moore Show..a woman happy to be on her own and living life her way without a man.

1997...My Best Friend’s Wedding and a main character was a homosexual. I remember this because I was so shocked about Rupert Everett’s role and that he was a homosexual in real life.

1998 Will and Grace..

I can’t remember the year but they used to have family oriented shows on tv then it seemed tv went really dark with shows like CSI that focused on deaths and finding out who done them..and the era of family oriented shows took a back seat and seemed to go off the air for those kind of shows.
CSI started in 2000 says the IMDb.

Anyway...things have been progressing for quite some time. And if you’ve watched some of the black and white oldies...that was a different time period as well...movies have always been a little strange.

Mr.Anderson

Veteran
Mostly to easy the writing. I reckon metrossexuality being a thing about back in 2002~2003 with David Beckham, It's just that before 2009 I was too young to pay attention to anything, haha.

@Lisa I used to watch CSI with my mom in the early 2000's. I remember that the cases became so, so bizarre... I remember the shock when the character Mike Keppler was revealed to be a woman. I was like whaaat?

Nip/Tuck used to be on air, too. I had a friend in high school who wanted to became a plastic surgeon solely because that show. That show was daunting and off but I couldn't stop watching it. If anything that made me repulse the whole stuff, but when I remember my friend I see how people can become easily influenced by TV. I guess I forgot how influeciable we were back then.

I am watching How I met Your Mother with my wife on Amazon, it's 2010 now on the show and it presentes a mildly corrupted snapshot of how was life then. People had normal hair colors.

Lisa

Superstar
Mostly to easy the writing. I reckon metrossexuality being a thing about back in 2002~2003 with David Beckham, It's just that before 2009 I was too young to pay attention to anything, haha.

@Lisa I used to watch CSI with my mom in the early 2000's. I remember that the cases became so, so bizarre... I remember the shock when the character Mike Keppler was revealed to be a woman. I was like whaaat?

Nip/Tuck used to be on air, too. I had a friend in high school who wanted to became a plastic surgeon solely because that show. That show was daunting and off but I couldn't stop watching it. If anything that made me repulse the whole stuff, but when I remember my friend I see how people can become easily influenced by TV. I guess I forgot how influeciable we were back then.

I am watching How I met Your Mother with my wife on Amazon, it's 2010 now on the show and it presentes a mildly corrupted snapshot of how was life then. People had normal hair colors.
Ya, tv is always pushing the envelope now. When I was a kid we watched the Love Boat and Fantasy Island lol! The family shows were always trying to teach you some moral thing or even trying to address moral failures at times but keep you entertained..then came Roseanne...the trailer trash show. After that came CSI and it became so popular that most shows became like it and tv went to a dark place. I stopped watching it then.

Ya, ain’t miss normal hair colors. I’ve been able to talk my daughter out of strange hair colors but she wants pink or blue hair. I am most shocked to see it on 40 somethings and up, honestly. I always think they should know better or something..be a grown up. But this is the way society is now. We’ve taken the idea of you can be anything and I suppose with that do anything to an unhealthy level now. I don’t think that the people who started those slogans had the things that go on now with trans people in mind when they started it and people got in the bandwagon saying o ya you can be anything you want...but I could be wrong. They could have had that stuff in mind all along....I’m sure satan did anyway...

AndrAt3A

Established
Ya, tv is always pushing the envelope now. When I was a kid we watched the Love Boat and Fantasy Island lol! The family shows were always trying to teach you some moral thing or even trying to address moral failures at times but keep you entertained..then came Roseanne...the trailer trash show. After that came CSI and it became so popular that most shows became like it and tv went to a dark place. I stopped watching it then.

Ya, ain’t miss normal hair colors. I’ve been able to talk my daughter out of strange hair colors but she wants pink or blue hair. I am most shocked to see it on 40 somethings and up, honestly. I always think they should know better or something..be a grown up. But this is the way society is now. We’ve taken the idea of you can be anything and I suppose with that do anything to an unhealthy level now. I don’t think that the people who started those slogans had the things that go on now with trans people in mind when they started it and people got in the bandwagon saying o ya you can be anything you want...but I could be wrong. They could have had that stuff in mind all along....I’m sure satan did anyway...
Might I add in as 24yr old... the possible reason the hair colors are becoming more and more acceptable in society, can be because these 40yr old women were also told no by their respective guardians all throughout their adolescence. As an adult the number 1 thing I see happens are people wanting to experience everything they were denied as adolescent. Also cosmetologists are becoming more elaborate with techniques and color combinations which also helps.

Also also... kpop is becoming trendy in the west and all if not most groups have a abnormal hair colors.

Plus with the shift of fashion going back to early 90s that was a stable to colored streaks or highlights.

Lisa

Superstar
Might I add in as 24yr old... the possible reason the hair colors are becoming more and more acceptable in society, can be because these 40yr old women were also told no by their respective guardians all throughout their adolescence. As an adult the number 1 thing I see happens are people wanting to experience everything they were denied as adolescent. Also cosmetologists are becoming more elaborate with techniques and color combinations which also helps.

Also also... kpop is becoming trendy in the west and all if not most groups have a abnormal hair colors.

Plus with the shift of fashion going back to early 90s that was a stable to colored streaks or highlights.
I always see it as not wanting to grow up and maybe they are still rebelling against their upbringing.. you have a point.

sickgirl15

Established
You’ve got a good point!

1970 the Mary Tyler Moore Show..a woman happy to be on her own and living life her way without a man.

1997...My Best Friend’s Wedding and a main character was a homosexual. I remember this because I was so shocked about Rupert Everett’s role and that he was a homosexual in real life.

1998 Will and Grace..

I can’t remember the year but they used to have family oriented shows on tv then it seemed tv went really dark with shows like CSI that focused on deaths and finding out who done them..and the era of family oriented shows took a back seat and seemed to go off the air for those kind of shows.

Anyway...things have been progressing for quite some time. And if you’ve watched some of the black and white oldies...that was a different time period as well...movies have always been a little strange.
Yes, tv shows in general in our modern society HAVE DEFINITELY turned quite morbid, dark, violent, and depressing. I find it very very insulting as a bisexual, feminist woman that you lumped in The Mary Tyler Moore Show (about a woman who’s living life her way, “without a man; And WHAT EXACTLY IS BAD/WRONG WITH THAT?!), the tv show “Will and Grace,” (The show features a heterosexual woman and her two gay male best friends’ lives) (Again, WHY is THAT so awful? Some of my best friends have and always will be homosexual men), with a depressing, violent, morbid show like “CSI!” You put down tv shows that are LGBT-positive, and a tv show that celebrates and brings into mainstream society a new life that us women (yes.. including YOU) could now freely choose to live instead of the only other option of living that we had before—getting married right after high school, aspiring to be an unpaid, barefoot and pregnant/very likely abused/neglected housewife/housework slave/sex slave! Tell me how that tv show is a negative thing? On that tv show CSI, the murderers are mostly always heterosexual MEN who have issues with women (yes, this includes me and you as well). THAT is a negative tv show. Homosexual men do not usually go around murdering/torturing/raping random women. Most women who ARE murdered/raped, are victims of the very same men they “love,” live with, date, trust, etc!! Wake up! A tv show about a woman who lives alone and makes it in the world by HERSELF, and lives ALONE is, in actuality, in a much SAFER environment than women who cohabit in the same houses/apartments with their husbands and boyfriends! Do NOT try and demonize tv shows that liberate us women to be independent and in control of our own lives, and/or who choose to have long lasting and fulfilling, great, supportive, mutually beneficial, satisfying, and most of all SAFE friendships with homosexual men!!

JoChris

Superstar
You’ve got a good point!

1998 Will and Grace..

From the 80s onwards the family shows I remember the most are "Married with Children", "Roseanne", "The Simpsons".
The father was stupid, the mother was the head of the house, the kids talked back, the plot had controversial (for the time) themes.

I know there were other family sitcoms like Family Ties, but the attraction of the other shows is that they weren't like the usual "clean" ones.
Those writers were giving what viewers wanted obviously - the Simpsons is still popular decades later.

Lisa

Superstar
Yes, tv shows in general in our modern society HAVE DEFINITELY turned quite morbid, dark, violent, and depressing. I find it very very insulting as a bisexual, feminist woman that you lumped in The Mary Tyler Moore Show (about a woman who’s living life her way, “without a man; And WHAT EXACTLY IS BAD/WRONG WITH THAT?!), the tv show “Will and Grace,” (The show features a heterosexual woman and her two gay male best friends’ lives) (Again, WHY is THAT so awful? Some of my best friends have and always will be homosexual men), with a depressing, violent, morbid show like “CSI!” You put down tv shows that are LGBT-positive, and a tv show that celebrates and brings into mainstream society a new life that us women (yes.. including YOU) could now freely choose to live instead of the only other option of living that we had before—getting married right after high school, aspiring to be an unpaid, barefoot and pregnant/very likely abused/neglected housewife/housework slave/sex slave! Tell me how that tv show is a negative thing? On that tv show CSI, the murderers are mostly always heterosexual MEN who have issues with women (yes, this includes me and you as well). THAT is a negative tv show. Homosexual men do not usually go around murdering/torturing/raping random women. Most women who ARE murdered/raped, are victims of the very same men they “love,” live with, date, trust, etc!! Wake up! A tv show about a woman who lives alone and makes it in the world by HERSELF, and lives ALONE is, in actuality, in a much SAFER environment than women who cohabit in the same houses/apartments with their husbands and boyfriends! Do NOT try and demonize tv shows that liberate us women to be independent and in control of our own lives, and/or who choose to have long lasting and fulfilling, great, supportive, mutually beneficial, satisfying, and most of all SAFE friendships with homosexual men!!
What is wrong with the Mary Tyler Show? It shows a woman not needing to have a man in her life..going against what God said was good...one man and one woman married together. God said it’s not good for man to be alone.

God says homosexuality is an abomination to Him. He doesn’t want man and man or woman and woman doing the things that He said were just for man and woman. That’s why the tv show Will and Grace is wrong...again going against what God said was good.

I like how you put it as unpaid, barefoot and pregnant...pretty much a silly way to describe motherhood and marriage. Its so rich and rewarding to have a family! Raise your children and support your husband...thats what God says is good.

I think showing people how to commit murder better is a bad thing...having Csi be a long running show is pretty disgusting if you ask me. God also says murder is wrong, it’s a sin..but every week for years and years..that’s been entertainment for millions? How can we not be warped watching it?

Ya, the world is full of sinners sinning...but God has promised to help us if we ask Him..if we turn to Him for help, repent of our sins and I know first hand how he can turn your life around..He want’s to help and make your life pleasing to Him and pleasing to you. That’s what life is supposed to teach us, more than don’t get married, be in a homosexual relationship..etc.

I think people have the most fulfilling lives when they live the way God wants them to...but you are gonna need Him for that. Homosexual men are also sinners...

Lisa

Superstar
From the 80s onwards the family shows I remember the most are "Married with Children", "Roseanne", "The Simpsons".
The father was stupid, the mother was the head of the house, the kids talked back, the plot had controversial (for the time) themes.

I know there were other family sitcoms like Family Ties, but the attraction of the other shows is that they weren't like the usual "clean" ones.
Those writers were giving what viewers wanted obviously - the Simpsons is still popular decades later.
No doubt about that...I guess I meant the earlier shows like Cosby Show..too bad what he’s done has superseded a good family oriented show. Ya, they wanted to push the envelope of the clean cut shows and make them more realistic in a trailer park way..paving the way for people who lived like that to think it’s all normal.

I’ve never watched the Simpsons myself...was never attracted to watching grown up cartoons...but then I don’t really watch a lot of tv series. My tv watching is Survivor because my husband loves it and cooking shows..I like the British bake off the best...otherwise I would rather be doing anything else then watch the tv.