Homesteading/gardening

justjess

Superstar
Good for you. This has become my goal as well.
I wish you well with it. Its been my goal for years now I just finally got people to stop laughing at it and get on board lol. I hope it happens for you soon :)

tip: do it yourself or find smarter people then I did lol. They are convinced novice gardeners will be able to plant a crowd sustaining eden on like 5 acres (with three houses) it’s a tough uphill battle to convince them otherwise.

free2018

Star
I wish you well with it. Its been my goal for years now I just finally got people to stop laughing at it and get on board lol. I hope it happens for you soon :)

tip: do it yourself or find smarter people then I did lol. They are convinced novice gardeners will be able to plant a crowd sustaining eden on like 5 acres (with three houses) it’s a tough uphill battle to convince them otherwise.
Thanks. It may take a while.
PS: Thanks. Will do. I thought you guys were buying more land. What happened? They chicken out?

justjess

Superstar
Thanks. It may take a while.
PS: Thanks. Will do. I thought you guys were buying more land. What happened? They chicken out?
Oh no... they are still “in” but it seems like they are larping (not sure if right word). We went away together this weekend and we were sitting outside and I was like “oh I’m trying to figure out how much land we really need... I’m not sure these lots we are looking at are big enough for the amount of people” and apparantly my brother in law read a book last week and they are now convinced all we need is 5 acres cuz permaculture (which is great but realistically I’m the only one who’s ever grown anything and I’m a novice, perma is pretty advanced). I tried to tell them that we need 2 acres just for chickens in a post civilization world and they seemed incredulous and more concerned how they might make homemade wine cuz can’t survive without that!!

Lmao... I’ve been left in charge of looking for land anyway so I’m just going to keep proposing larger acreage and if they don’t figure it out I’ll just buy it myself. And charge them when they show up.;)

Lurker

Star
and apparantly my brother in law read a book last week and they are now convinced all we need is 5 acres cuz permaculture
Talk some sense into him. With your short growing season, you'll need more...likely much more.
I tried to tell them that we need 2 acres just for chickens
That would be enough room for 80 or more chickens humanely. Plenty of space for the layers and the meat birds would be harvested right about the same time confinement becomes an issue.
more concerned how they might make homemade wine cuz can’t survive without that!!
Weak spot. The fruit, grapes and berries require more space.

justjess

Superstar
Talk some sense into him. With your short growing season, you'll need more...likely much more.

That would be enough room for 80 or more chickens humanely. Plenty of space for the layers and the meat birds would be harvested right about the same time confinement becomes an issue.

Weak spot. The fruit, grapes and berries require more space.
All my arguments. Exactly. Thank you lol. Like I said I’m the one looking at plots and I am not forwarding any less than 20acres. So either they will get on board or we will go out separate ways and do it differently. I’m not going to buy too little land

Maes17

Star
Oh no... they are still “in” but it seems like they are larping (not sure if right word). We went away together this weekend and we were sitting outside and I was like “oh I’m trying to figure out how much land we really need... I’m not sure these lots we are looking at are big enough for the amount of people” and apparantly my brother in law read a book last week and they are now convinced all we need is 5 acres cuz permaculture (which is great but realistically I’m the only one who’s ever grown anything and I’m a novice, perma is pretty advanced). I tried to tell them that we need 2 acres just for chickens in a post civilization world and they seemed incredulous and more concerned how they might make homemade wine cuz can’t survive without that!!

Lmao... I’ve been left in charge of looking for land anyway so I’m just going to keep proposing larger acreage and if they don’t figure it out I’ll just buy it myself. And charge them when they show up.;)
Put up a barbed wire fence, while society is still on grid - drones. Plenty of drones.

Send some wine this way too. I’ll do the taste test.

Lurker

Star
Was going to post in the Good Things thread but wanted to bump this one.... got our first egg day before yesterday. Another today. It's starting. :)