Homeless epidemic

Lisa

Superstar
There is alot for sure. And you can't help people that choose not to help themselves or accept help that is given.
You don’t have to help them either with a tent, food or drugs and let them come to the natural conclusions that brings and hope that that will wake them up...of course that’s the mean way..so we enable them instead.

This man seems to be the success story and I hope he stays one...
BF67308D-35C9-441F-B875-0DE0DE207C60.jpeg
https://time.com/life-after-opioid-addiction/

Lisa

Superstar
What does Jesus do...
He definitely could prevent all bad things ever...He could stop people from being drug addicts and alcoholics..but He chooses to let people use their own free will wherever that takes them, doesn’t He? However, He doesn’t leave people without help or comfort..in Him. That’s what God does..He says I am here and can help you..you just have to ask.

Vixy

Star
It can happen in a minute. Like I said above.. I know and have met people that are homeless due to their house burning down. Look at hurricane Katrani as well.. Thousands were left homeless in an instant for example.
I keep thinking of all those from natural disasters or those who became depressed and stayed in bed loosing everything after a traumatic event. This worlds....unbelievably harsch.

TempestOfTempo

Superstar
What does Jesus do...
He definitely could prevent all bad things ever...He could stop people from being drug addicts and alcoholics..but He chooses to let people use their own free will wherever that takes them, doesn’t He? However, He doesn’t leave people without help or comfort..in Him. That’s what God does..He says I am here and can help you..you just have to ask.
What did he ask you to do Lisa?
1572534641757.png

Lisa

Superstar
Let me rephrase that. Lost the ability for substantial and gainful employment. If I lost the ability to work my current field, I could probably get a minimum wage job and still be homeless. Would that make my tent acceptable?
So, now you’re saying you didn’t lose the ability to work in your current field..but if you did, you’d have to work a minimum wage job? If you could still work..why would you only be able to find a minimum wage job? Those job’s are pretty physical..working retail or in fast food...

Last edited:

Lurker

Star
So, now you’re saying you didn’t lose the ability to work in your current
I NEVER said that I did.
.but if you did, you’d have to work a minimum wage job? If you could still work..why would you only be able to find a minimum wage job? Those job’s are pretty physical..working retail or in fast food..
You really just don't get all the variables do you? I earn fair compensation for being a retail meat manager. How important do you think my fingers are? Both for production and for Admin work. However, I could still take orders at DQ with one (functional) hand and live in a FUCKING tent.

Fun facts:
I looked at state jobs and the one I'm interested in and qualified for with just shy of equal pay (but state car, yo); no opening in my area. However, an opening in my area, that I was not qualified for, would have been a HUGE pay cut. And no car.

NPC

Established
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=trNg4nogBJU

I've been homeless myself twice..Luckily I didnt have to sleep outside, I had someone to take me in temporarily but...It wasnt nice.
Been there myself years ago, it's not fun. I lived in a shelter for a bit then enrolled myself into a trade school and lived in the dormatory until I graduated.
Shit happens.. I don't drink or do drugs either. It can happen to anybody. I suspect ALOT of people are 1 paycheck away from being homeless.
Guess I like to give back, but some people don't see that way :rolleyes:

Vixy

Star
Been there myself years ago, it's not fun. I lived in a shelter for a bit then enrolled myself into a trade school and lived in the dormatory until I graduated.
Shit happens.. I don't drink or do drugs either. It can happen to anybody. I suspect ALOT of people are 1 paycheck away from being homeless.
Guess I like to give back, but some people don't see that way :rolleyes:
What was it like in the shelter?

Lisa

Superstar
I NEVER said that I did.

You really just don't get all the variables do you? I earn fair compensation for being a retail meat manager. How important do you think my fingers are? Both for production and for Admin work. However, I could still take orders at DQ with one (functional) hand and live in a FUCKING tent.

Fun facts:
I looked at state jobs and the one I'm interested in and qualified for with just shy of equal pay (but state car, yo); no opening in my area. However, an opening in my area, that I was not qualified for, would have been a HUGE pay cut. And no car.
Ok...I guess I read it wrong..I thought you said that you lost the ability, sorry.

Are you saying that you could lose your fingers..or a hand? How often does that happen? I would think if you can take orders a DQ with one hand, you could keep your job as a manager. I don’t even understand how that equates.

Darn...its a hardship when you cant get a car with your job! I can see where that would be a hardship on you.

NPC

Established
What was it like in the shelter?
This was when I was 18 so this shelter was mainly for teens up to 21 if I remember correctly. You had to work around the place to keep your bed, like chores. But they helped me aquire clothes and getting documents like my birth certificate, ss card and helped enroll into trade school.. Wasn't to bad, I am forever grateful to them for sure.

Lurker

Star
Are you saying that you could lose your fingers..or a hand?
Yes.
How often does that happen?
Not often, but I've seen it happen, put digits on ice, cleaned the saw and went back to work.
I would think if you can take orders a DQ with one hand, you could keep your job as a manager.
Really? Poking the picture of a burger is just as easy as writing a report?
I don’t even understand how that equates
Of course you don't.
Darn...its a hardship when you cant get a car with your job! I can see where that would be a hardship on you
I was pointing out that I would take a small pay cut in exchange for a "company car" , not that the car was required.

Lisa

Superstar
Yes.

Not often, but I've seen it happen, put digits on ice, cleaned the saw and went back to work.

Really? Poking the picture of a burger is just as easy as writing a report?

Of course you don't.

I was pointing out that I would take a small pay cut in exchange for a "company car" , not that the car was required.
It is starting to make sense, the comment about losing fingers, ok, I can see that would be a work hazard that maybe doesn’t happen often but can happen.

I’ve seen managers work...

Typing isn’t hard but it would be a drag with only one hand.

justjess

Superstar
Someone could get horrible arthritis. They’re knees can go out. They can injure their backs. There are a jillion plus things that can happen to a person that would make it impossible to work in their previous field and very difficult to find meaningful work elsewhere. You lack imagination. Or you just don’t want to admit that.

Glad 2 know

Veteran
How did they know they were going to be homeless? They didn’t pay the rent or the mortgage? Family got tired of their drug habit or their alcoholism? So, they decided to buy a tent with their last monies and live for free on the street? Pan handling for money to keep their habits alive and for food? We should all live the life..eh?
I

I see you are either VERY VERY young or privileged and don't know much about the misfortunes of adult life in this wicked world. Let me enlighten you.

Yes people either lose their jobs, become disabled, their rent goes up too much to afford it and they have no one to help them so they fend for themselves by buying some kind of shelter.

People that are drug addicts have have it rough since childhood and have emotional and psychological problems brought on by trauma, abuse or neglect or a combination of the three. NOT EVERYONE IS STRONG LIKE YOU DEAR, just because you're a fortunate one that managed to survive and not fall into drugs does not mean EVERYONE else is LIKE YOU.

I see you are a bit callous and lack empathy for other people's pains and misfortunes. I tried to enlighten you but I'm not hoping for much.

Last edited:

Glad 2 know

Veteran
A tent is not about solving a problem it's about basic human decency given to a fellow human being. We are all on this spaceship called earth. To be honest I donate my time a few times a year at my local food bank and most of the homeless people I have met are some of the greatest humans I have ever come into contact with, they all have a story as to why they are in thier predicament. I live in Arizona and cannot tell you how many I have met that lost everything due to fires in California. It's hard to start over from scratch sometimes but I'm here to help. If a tent or other basic necessities are needed, and I am able to help, I will and do.
What an awesome human being you are NPC, my respects. :)

Reactions: NPC

Spades

Established
Let's not pretend that there is not enough in this world, or country, to go round. I've worked with the homeless. I've befriended the homeless. I've given the homeless spots on my floor when I was younger and without children. Where do you think all of these abused people go? After they've been let go and are not useful anymore? After they've been tormented into mental illness? They are on the fringes of society. Living lives you could not imagine. In one year, where I worked and talked to these people on a daily basis... there were at least 5 bodies dumped in the same exact location across the street from where I took my smoke breaks, all homeless people. NO NEWS COVERAGE. I saved one man personally from being beaten and robbed. It's NOTHING in shelters for violence and murder to be the norm. I called the shelter (a men's shelter) to let them know plenty of times that there was violence happening to certain people and asked them to watch over them. It was falling on nonchalant ears. Nobody cares about the people on the fringe. They are the crazies. They are the addicts. They are the people who wouldn't know how to sign a lease if one was put in front of them. They are the forgotten and continually abused.

Last edited: