Homeless epidemic

The sad truth is that a homeless person works much harder than someone like me just to survive and find some minuscule amount of comfort.

DevaWolf

Veteran
Then they better work...don’t ya think?
So what about people with disabilities like people who are paralysed or otherwise incapable of doing things on their own. They must work too? Is it that hard to understand that homeless people are often just as disabled, it's just mental or invisible?

Your argument makes no sense. Unless you don't care about those who suffer, which is the most likely impression you give off.

Lisa

Superstar
So what about people with disabilities like people who are paralysed or otherwise incapable of doing things on their own. They must work too? Is it that hard to understand that homeless people are often just as disabled, it's just mental or invisible?

Your argument makes no sense. Unless you don't care about those who suffer, which is the most likely impression you give off.
I care about those that suffer, its just that I don’t think the answer is to give things to people just because they suffer. One of the biggest blessings is to find out that you can do things you didn’t think you could like work, hold down a job and provide for yourself, don’t ya think? I think its more demoralizing to be always handed things like you’re incompetent.

Now we’ve switched up the convo to people with disabilities? I can see the hard times people have with mental illness...but all people have something they are dealing with and most can make it to a job everyday. I think with some mental illnesses the biggest problem is getting people to take their meds. Not to be confused with people who drug or drink themselves into a pit they can’t get out of.

Glad 2 know

Veteran
Sometimes people fall on HARD times, whether it's illness mental or physical or both, job loss, but yet there's no insurance or net that helps people get back on their feet. You fall you get up but sometimes the fall is so hard that a person NEEDS help getting back up.

Lisa

Superstar
Yeah! WHO do they think they are?!?
The nerve...... why cant they just have the dignity to suffer through their day-to-day struggle in cardboard boxes right? Or better yet, just die already eh Lisa?
No, I mean really...where did they get the tents? They look like newer tents, and these are homeless people...how did they get tents to live in?

Lisa

Superstar
Usually the tents are donated Lisa. Something you must not be very familiar with.......
Someone wants them to be homeless anyway. One of the comments in that video is “what the video can’t capture is the smell from all the rubbish and faeces.” I imagine that poster is british..but he’s right all the same. How many of those people are also doing drugs? Or are alcoholics? We don’t know from that video..but what we do know is that its a mess there with people living like that and its hard on business to run with that. Another poster said she had to walk her dog in the street until she found some sidewalk without all the tents...its lawlessness and doesn’t solve the problem of homelessness, just makes more problems. This is not compassion.

NPC

Established
No, I mean really...where did they get the tents? They look like newer tents, and these are homeless people...how did they get tents to live in?
Many ways to get a tent:
  1. They buy them
  2. Churches
  3. Directly from public donations
  4. Homeless shelters often provide them
  5. Government entities
  6. Places like http://www.tents4homeless.org/donate/
  7. Probably more I'm missing, but these are a good start
I read an article a few months ago that in San Francisco there is alot of people that make 3 times more than I do in the tech industry that are homeless due to sky high rent and lack of housing

Last edited:

Lisa

Superstar
Many ways to get a tent:
  1. They buy them
  2. Churches
  3. Directly from public donations
  4. Homeless shelters often provide them
  5. Government entities
  6. Places like http://www.tents4homeless.org/donate/
  7. Probably more I'm missing, but these are a good start
Sure..but why give the homeless a tent? That’s not helpful is it? Isn’t this making more problems then solving the one problem it’s supposed to solve...homelessness? I think just because it makes people feel good to give the tents..doesn’t mean that it is good.

NPC

Established
Sure..but why give the homeless a tent? That’s not helpful is it? Isn’t this making more problems then solving the one problem it’s supposed to solve...homelessness? I think just because it makes people feel good to give the tents..doesn’t mean that it is good.
A tent is not about solving a problem it's about basic human decency given to a fellow human being. We are all on this spaceship called earth. To be honest I donate my time a few times a year at my local food bank and most of the homeless people I have met are some of the greatest humans I have ever come into contact with, they all have a story as to why they are in thier predicament. I live in Arizona and cannot tell you how many I have met that lost everything due to fires in California. It's hard to start over from scratch sometimes but I'm here to help. If a tent or other basic necessities are needed, and I am able to help, I will and do.

Last edited:

Lisa

Superstar
A tent is not about solving a problem it's about basic human decency given to a fellow human being. We are all on this spaceship called earth. To be honest I donate my time a few times a year at my local food bank and most of the homeless people I have met are some of the greatest humans I have ever come into contact with, they all have a story as to why they are in thier predicament. I live in Arizona and cannot tell you how many I have met that lost everything due to fires in California. It's hard to start over from scratch sometimes but I'm here to help. If a tent or other basic necessities are needed, and I am able to help, I will and do.
Earth is a planet. And you give that tent and feel good about yourself but the homeless are still homeless, you didn’t solve their problem and in giving the tent you have created another problem is all I’m saying.
I think that people are at their worst when they think handouts should continue and lose all desire to do for themselves. If you can live for free on a sidewalk and get constant handouts..where is your motivation to get out of that predicament? And the more people who join you the less shamed you feel.