Homeless epidemic

do they deserve a free house when the rest of us have to pay for ours?
A house? No. But some sort of shelter? Absolutely. Food, shelter, and medicine should be considered the most basic of human rights.

Ya they are people but how do you really help a drug addict or an alcoholic?
Have more programs to actually help them get clean and treat them like human beings, instead of disposable garbage? That could be a hell of a start.

If it were easy then we could get this mess cleaned up but we all know it’s not. Does that mean that we allow them to take advantage of laws that say no loitering? Or give them “safe” places to shoot up?
Laws that hurt people aren't worth following. The entire purpose of the law should be to help humanity. And yes. Quitting almost anything "cold turkey" can be potentially dangerous; to clean people up you need to ween them off.

How about the crime and the filth that follow the homeless? What shall we do about those things besides I guess continue to turn a blind eye?
...if you eliminate homelessness (and poverty in general), you'll eliminate a lot of the "crime and filth" that follows it.

The banks aren’t in it to make you foreclose and they don’t force you to sign papers. Where is the personal responsibility in this scenario?
"Personal responsibility" is not an excuse to ignore predatory behavior by those with authority.

I don’t have a problem with someone needing a helping hand and taking some resources that they could use to give themselves a boost. I’m talking about people who don’t have any intention on working and think that’s how they are gonna live. Which I think is most of the drug addicts and alcoholics. I can’t speak to the mental health issue but I think that can come from doing the drugs..
Very few people really want to get a free ride. They just want a chance.

And people with drug and alcohol problems are sick. Like all sick people, they need care.

polymoog

Superstar
A house? No. But some sort of shelter? Absolutely. Food, shelter, and medicine should be considered the most basic of human rights.
ok, ill agree to that provided that the end goal is to get them back on their feet and working again, provided they have the physical/mental ability to do so. and of course that theyre citizens of the country.

Glad 2 know

Veteran
I'm not feeling optimistic about this issue changing. I have personally seen BIG TIME lack of affordable housing. The new apartment buildings charge an arm and a leg for monthly rent because they're "luxury apartments", the new houses that are built are in the $350,000 range. Unforgiving rent hikes. A 30-day notice to raise rent is not enough time for people to come up with $50- $100 extra a month. Evictions have been on the rise. The years-long tenants that have been very good have suddenly been given the black mark of eviction that MOST landlords don't want, just because they have fallen on hard times. No ONE is allowed to fall on hard times either because of health issues or job loss or any other huge life-changing event.

And don't tell me that there's lack of space. THERE'S PLENTY OF SPACE. It's just that affordable housing doesn't make $$. It doesn't matter that people are desperate for affordability.

The poor are suffering. There's despair in the air. In my city there's NO shelter but yet we have all these new buildings for commerce and more and more homeless people. It makes no sense. It would be nice to turn some of those vacant buildings to temporary housing to help people get back on their feet. I see no initiative though. Just push the homeless around because they're an eyesore that no one wants to see. Forgetting that they're human beings that are suffering EVERYDAY :-( </3
It's a huge problem that is slipping out of people's hands. I'm sorry but it's what I have personally seen.

DevaWolf

Veteran
. It doesn't matter that people are desperate for affordability.

The poor are suffering. There's despair in the air. In my city there's NO shelter but yet we have all these new buildings for commerce and more and more homeless people. It makes no sense. It would be nice to turn some of those vacant buildings to temporary housing to help people get back on their feet. I see no initiative though. Just push the homeless around because they're an eyesore that no one wants to see. Forgetting that they're human beings that are suffering EVERYDAY :-( </3
It's a huge problem that is slipping out of people's hands. I'm sorry but it's what I have personally seen.
Same here. And Chinese investors are buying so much land the remaining affordable housing just rots uninhabited until they decide to rent it out for too high prices people pay because they're desperate.

Glad 2 know

Veteran
Same here. And Chinese investors are buying so much land the remaining affordable housing just rots uninhabited until they decide to rent it out for too high prices people pay because they're desperate.
Agreed. I have seen some houses just boarded up and sitting there for months even years and there are families out there that could be under those roofs. Love of money is the root of all evil

Lisa

Superstar
Agreed. I have seen some houses just boarded up and sitting there for months even years and there are families out there that could be under those roofs. Love of money is the root of all evil
Can they buy or rent those houses? Otherwise, what incentive would there be to buy or rent houses when you could wait and get them for free?

DevaWolf

Veteran
Can they buy or rent those houses? Otherwise, what incentive would there be to buy or rent houses when you could wait and get them for free?
They could at least ban foreign investors from buying the houses. Them buying this property prevents other people from even having a chance to buy them.

“I worked for this myself, therefore no one else deserves a roof over their head for free”

We have been collectively deceived by inhuman ideas that are a plague on society. This is a sickness that insidiously attacks any semblance of actual humanity. A roof over your head is not some kind of luxury, it’s one of the most basic comforts that everyone deserves. This is just the reality of our situation. No one who is truly humane should have a problem with providing the most basic comforts for everyone. Where has our humanity gone?

Lisa

Superstar
They could at least ban foreign investors from buying the houses. Them buying this property prevents other people from even having a chance to buy them.
Is foreign investing so different from all the people we let live in this country from legal immigrants to illegal ones? There is already help in the form of welfare for people who can’t afford housing..section 8’s come to mind.

At least those properties become useful again instead of abandoned?

Lisa

Superstar
“I worked for this myself, therefore no one else deserves a roof over their head for free”

We have been collectively deceived by inhuman ideas that are a plague on society. This is a sickness that insidiously attacks any semblance of actual humanity. A roof over your head is not some kind of luxury, it’s one of the most basic comforts that everyone deserves. This is just the reality of our situation. No one who is truly humane should have a problem with providing the most basic comforts for everyone. Where has our humanity gone?
That is reality. Many millions of people work hard to have a roof over their heads than to just give people who won’t a house for free...because no one should be homeless? When people refuse to see the reason people are homeless...drugs and alcohol abuse.

Then they better work...don’t ya think?
The thing is, I don’t really care. I would rather they had the most basic comforts. It’s the very least we can do for each other, not some grand humanitarian act or near-impossible crowning achievement. We are brainwashed against our own humanity. Besides, this is slowly becoming entirely irrelevant and obsolete because there is not much manual labor at all in our future.

Lisa

Superstar
The thing is, I don’t really care. I would rather they had the most basic comforts. It’s the very least we can do for each other, not some grand humanitarian act or near-impossible crowning achievement. We are brainwashed against our own humanity. Besides, this is slowly becoming entirely irrelevant and obsolete because there is not much manual labor at all in our future.
They do seem to be trying to make it so no one works which is detrimental to the human race. Idle hands being the devils work and all...

LOL yeah let’s all halt progress just to make sure everyone can be given unnecessary busy-work.

Lisa

Superstar
LOL yeah let’s all halt progress just to make sure everyone can be given unnecessary busy-work.
It’s not a bad thing to work, it’s actually good for self esteem and it’s good to bring home a paycheck so you can afford that house or apartment.

It’s not a bad thing to work, it’s actually good for self esteem and it’s good to bring home a paycheck so you can afford that house or apartment.
Not bad, no. However I would much rather labor at home for the sake of my own family, and have the freedom to actually create everywhere else. Thankfully this exactly is what I have been able to achieve in my life. Yeah I have a job and a steady income but it’s one that I love because it allows me to create. It’s not even my sole source of income either. All of my money is delivered through my own creativity. I don’t even consider any of it to be “work”. It’s just enjoyment and following whatever makes me the most excited to start creating.

Lisa

Superstar
Thay
Not bad, no. However I would much rather labor at home for the sake of my own family, and have the freedom to actually create everywhere else. Thankfully this exactly is what I have been able to achieve in my life. Yeah I have a job and a steady income but it’s one that I love because it allows me to create. It’s not even my sole source of income either. All of my money is delivered through my own creativity. I don’t even consider any of it to be “work”. It’s just enjoyment and following whatever makes me the most excited to start creating.
That’s great, but you do work.